so the conversation went like this:

Options
A friend of mine started her journey to a healthier life shortly after I did.

Her: Why haven't I lost any weight? You've lost a great amount. I've gained!"
Me: Are you eating at a calorie deficit?
Her: huh?
me: *explains CICO, and calulating TDEE*
Her: Oh, too much trouble...
me: No, it's really simple, you can go online and find a calculator to determine all this

*couple days later*
Her: Why do I only have X calories left for dinner? I've barely eaten!
me: you're logging your food right? Are you doing it accurately?
Her: I guess. I mean, when I put "tuna sandwich" into this app, how can I know it's just like mine?
me: You can't be sure. Log each componet separately. The tuna, the mayo, the bread, etc
Her: Weigh it? how the H*** do I do that? Step on the scale with a spoon of mayo?
me: *explains food scales, weighing accurately to make sure you are eating the right amount of calories. mentions meal prep, and whatnot"
Her: oh, that's too much work. I'll just follow a weight watchers diet. You can eat all the fruits and veggies you want because they're free"
me: really, it's no work. I take a few minutes at night deciding what I am going to have the following day, then spend 15 minutes weighing and packing it. In the morning, I grab my lunch bag and go.
Her: that's still a lot of work. I'm just gonna start eating a lot of special K. The TV said you will lose weight or your money back!
me: at this point, I can't even, and I quit. lol

Is it going to be hard? Absolutely. If it going to suck for a while. You guessed it. Are you going to feel angry at the folks on these threads, for saying "if you aint weighing your food, there's no way you can know how many calories you have."? Bet your bottom dollar.

(Majority) of these folks on here? They know what they're talking about, boys and girls. Listen to them.

1. maintain a calorie deficit
2. weigh your food
3. we weigh food because 1 cup does not equal 1 cup (if that makes sense)
4. fad diets don't work. don't think you will lose weight because you are carb-gluten-white-bread-sugar-low fat free and only eat clean. so for the love of all that is holy, don't buy stock in special K. Eat it only if you like it.

Thank you to the members of MFP for helping me find my way. Although still a daily struggle, I'm facing it HAPPILY...now that I know I don't have to eat 1100 calories of only cabbage soup for a week! ;)

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. I don't log everything. I'm still losing weight.

Accuracy is not required for weight loss, you just need to eat less than you burn.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Your friend sounds like an idiot.

Unfortunately I have similar friends. I feel if I've at least tried once when they come to me asking for help but chose to ignore it, well then it's on them. Noooooooooooooooooooooo effs given.

But don't come back complaining to me when you're still stuck because you won't listen. Then I get grumpy.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above. I was guessing and estimating a lot for the first few months and because I had a lot to lose it was still in a deficit. When my weight loss slowed down quite a bit I invested in a food scale and now it's back to 1 to 1.5 per week.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Accuracy is not required for weight loss, you just need to eat less than you burn.

How can you know you're eating less than you burn without some sort of accuracy? Sorry that statement is totally redundant.

Obviously you're doing well at estimating, so you are being at least partially accurate or you wouldn't be losing.

For some people, that means weighing/logging. For other people, it doesn't. But that doesn't void the importance of accuracy to a degree.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    There are a few at work who mention this site but I think they only use it for the calorie information, they still continue to 'diet'.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

We will see when you get closer to your goal.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have 2 colleagues who lost weight over the past year (a male and female). The girl is starting to put it back on, but the dude is really doing well. However, this morning we were discussing our weight loss plan and he says "counting calories doesn't work" and they only way to lose weight is "high protein, low carb" and that he never ever has a treat like a cookie or potato chips. I told him I've lost 60+ pounds calorie counting and have also been able to enjoy cookies, cake and chips.

Oh and the girl that lost weight who's putting it back on? Once she got to her goal weight so started to eat and eat and eat. She's says "it's ok because I do cardio" and I'm thinking "ummm no..."

People just don't seem to grasp the CICO concept
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

I agree on principle that you can achieve a deficit without weighing and logging anything. At the same time, I think loads of folks find it easier to achieve it with logging and weighing, and for quite a few, they're practically not going to achieve it without at least logging. I know quite a few of those IRL.

For me personally, the great thing about keeping an accurate food diary in MFP has been learning what portions look like. It doesn't gave to be that way for everyone, of course.

If I get the frustration in the OP correctly, it's about people who say "I can't lose weight, nothing works for me" but refuse to try food journalling with preferably weighing or at least another means to assure a minimum of accuracy.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    OP you can tell your friend. "You ain't ready yet. When I'm beach ready you will still be wasting time not making gains towards the goal."
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have 2 colleagues who lost weight over the past year (a male and female). The girl is starting to put it back on, but the dude is really doing well. However, this morning we were discussing our weight loss plan and he says "counting calories doesn't work" and they only way to lose weight is "high protein, low carb" and that he never ever has a treat like a cookie or potato chips. I told him I've lost 60+ pounds calorie counting and have also been able to enjoy cookies, cake and chips.

Oh and the girl that lost weight who's putting it back on? Once she got to her goal weight so started to eat and eat and eat. She's says "it's ok because I do cardio" and I'm thinking "ummm no..."

People just don't seem to grasp the CICO concept
    People don't want to do the work. Just want a quick fix.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

How can you know you're eating less than you burn without some sort of accuracy? Sorry that statement is totally redundant.

Obviously you're doing well at estimating, so you are being at least partially accurate or you wouldn't be losing.

For some people, that means weighing/logging. For other people, it doesn't. But that doesn't void the importance of accuracy to a degree.

Suppose there is a bucket with water in it. Could you not tell from looking at it whether it was about to overflow or not? Would you have to know what size the bucket was or how many gallons of water were in it to know that? Likewise, we don't have to have an accurate measure of how many calories we've burned or how many calories we've eaten to know whether we're eating less than we burn. A fairly good estimate is good enough.

The interesting thing is that people stress over making sure that they weigh their food, but they don't have an accurate measure of the number of calories per ounce and they don't have an accurate measure of how many calories they burn. Accuracy is only as good as the least accurate thing.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At one time, many of us were in the same boat as your friend. When she's ready to stop with finding the easiest route and instead learn the skill of logging/weighing/measuring and practicing it, she will. That doesn't make her an idiot. Seems sometimes people easily forget where they came from when they know it all now.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The main thing I've learned from MFP is how much people enjoy lifting themselves up by putting other people down. Is there no way to discuss what you've learned or accomplished without contrasting it to the failure you gleefully anticipate for others?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Suppose there is a bucket with water in it. Could you not tell from looking at it whether it was about to overflow or not? Would you have to know what size the bucket was or how many gallons of water were in it to know that? Likewise, we don't have to have an accurate measure of how many calories we've burned or how many calories we've eaten to know whether we're eating less than we burn. A fairly good estimate is good enough.

The interesting thing is that people stress over making sure that they weigh their food, but they don't have an accurate measure of the number of calories per ounce and they don't have an accurate measure of how many calories they burn. Accuracy is only as good as the least accurate thing.

Here we go with this nonsense again.

Bold maybe for mediocrity goals. Sorry not interested. I will keep counting calories until I go to maintenance. A bulk phase does come after this fat loss phase.

Also with what you said people are more likely to start decreasing calories and increasing exercise as they keep stalling out because that would be the thing to do right. So with that what would stop that person from netting too low on calories?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    The main thing I've learned from MFP is how much people enjoy lifting themselves up by putting other people down. Is there no way to discuss what you've learned or accomplished without contrasting it to the failure you gleefully anticipate for others?

Gosh I like you.
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We're all at a different point in the weight loss journey. When she really wants to lose weight she will do what she needs to. (It sounds harsh, I know. But the truth is that not everyone is ready to lose weight.)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Where do you see people stressing? I enjoy logging and weighing my food. If it stresses you out, or you just don't get it, that's okay.

My goal is to be as accurate as possible, so I can be as successful as possible. Does that mean I'm always right on my logging? No, but it means I did my best. And so far my best has put me at a 72 pound loss. So, I'm okay with that.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Step on a scale with a spoon of mayo? classic.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've actually found using the food scale to be fun! I'm a very analytical person so measuring out things and doing calculations doesn't seem like work to me :)
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Here we go with this nonsense again.

Bold maybe for mediocrity goals. Sorry not interested. I will keep counting calories until I go to maintenance. A bulk phase does come after this fat loss phase.

Also with what you said people are more likely to start decreasing calories and increasing exercise as they keep stalling out because that would be the thing to do right. So with that what would stop that person from netting too low on calories?

I hit my goal weight with fairly good estimates. Is hitting your goal weight a mediocrity goal? What would be a superamazingawesomesauce goal? Being twenty pounds underweight? Forty? Being able to count my ribs from 50 paces?

Sometimes good enough is in fact good enough. If you can get to your goal weight without weighing and measuring, you're no less at your goal weight than someone who got to theirs the hard way.