Seeking Advice on how to finish the job.......

Options
A little backgound....about 7-8 years ago i was 385+........decided to get motivated and do something about it....

So now this is where i am

36 years old
5 feet 10 inches
216 Pounds
Chest 41 inches
Waist 36 Inches
Hips 38 Inches

I have essentially a few goals left, love to see 199 since its been about 5th grade since that has happened......

with that goal id like to start adding some muscle......

So two goals, lose weight, add muscle, i have some measurements in my head id like to obtain, id like to get the chest to 43-44 inches and the waist to 33-34 inches...

So the reason I am here is to seek some opinions and advice, i work out at the local park district and there is much there as far as options go for seeking advice regarding these questions, so I wanted to try here....

Thanks for the help

Replies

• maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hope you manage to get a reply that will help you, I just wanted to say congratulations on your amazing loss so far!
  • Fritzuation
    Fritzuation Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My fingers are crossed and thanks for the support!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It might help if you say what you are doing now and why you don't think it will continue working to lose weight. Do you have access to free weights such as a barbell and squat rack, or just machines? How many days a week do you work out, etc.
  • Fritzuation
    Options
    Right now, i am lifting weights (mostly free weights) 2-3 times a week probably for 45-60 minutes each session, and then i usually mix in two cardio sessions, whether it be a spin class, elliptical, treadmill, things along those lines, I have access to pretty much everything except bench press and squat rack.......the most recent advice i got was to incorporate dead lifts and squats to get the muscles in my legs going, so i have recently (last couple of weeks) incorporated that, so too early in the game to notice if that is making a difference....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tighten up the calories- and I'd get on an actual lifting program like New Rules of lifting- Strong Lifts- Starting Strength.
  • Fritzuation
    Options
    I have been so/so on the calories, probably 1700-2000 net calories a day, i have been told most recently by a few folks, start eating better calories, more chicken, more lean meats, more fish, i am trying to incorporate much more of that, but always get stuck on the actual number of calories rather than the type, i am trying to get better at that
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying Jillian Michael's 30 day shred? That video was the first time I saw a huge difference in the way my body looked as far as muscle definition and I started to see it in 1-2 weeks. If you have a space in front of the TV and can fit 30 minutes into each day it's worth a shot. Also, it starts off with exercises like jumping jacks and crunches so it's a good way to start.

Congratulations on your progress so far, that's amazing!
  • Fritzuation
    Options
    Thanks, I will check it out..............
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    jfritz524 wrote: »
    A little backgound....about 7-8 years ago i was 385+........decided to get motivated and do something about it....

So now this is where i am

36 years old
    5 feet 10 inches
    216 Pounds
    Chest 41 inches
    Waist 36 Inches
    Hips 38 Inches

I have essentially a few goals left, love to see 199 since its been about 5th grade since that has happened......

with that goal id like to start adding some muscle......

So two goals, lose weight, add muscle, i have some measurements in my head id like to obtain, id like to get the chest to 43-44 inches and the waist to 33-34 inches...

So the reason I am here is to seek some opinions and advice, i work out at the local park district and there is much there as far as options go for seeking advice regarding these questions, so I wanted to try here....

Thanks for the help

i have partly achieved similar goals from a similar starting base as you are at currently.
    adding muscle isnt possible whilst at a calorie deficit tho.i would suggest delaying that goal until you achieve sub 200 goal.others while advise you on best strength routines in the meantime,im sure.
    opening your diary to public would be a huge starting point.
    also,your calorie burns seem excessive too me.this could mean your net calorie figure is higher than you think.what do you log strength training as?
    i do daily callisthenics,full body cardio of either rowing,elliptical or swimming and strength training 4x weekly.excessive sore muscles means reducing strength training till i get medical advice.
    huge congrats on your progress so far,now is the time to reap the benefits of a lighter you by targetting your nutrition and fitness goals.
    have sent a friend request to get you started,feel free to peruse.
    good luck.

• Fritzuation
    Options
    thanks for the advice, I think I am going to focus on hitting that 199 mark and then look to add some muscle/definition.......