too much fruit?

Options
i've always had a sweet tooth so when i decided to cut out all of the refined sugars and carbs it was HARD. i've managed to eliminate almost all of the sugar in my diet (including most dairy) but i still struggle with eating too much fruit. i feel like fruit is the only sweet treat i can enjoy so i tend to overdo it. does anyone else out there struggle with this? and does anyone have any suggestions? i've literally found myself eating pounds of fruit in one sitting. not quite sure how to manage my cravings : /

Replies

• julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    You could try chewing sugar free gum or sugar free mints of some sort i.e tic tacs or soft mints ?
    Or drinking sugar free squashes. Not sure really what else to suggest, but if you are finding it that hard to not eat sugar you may want to be a little wary of diabetes. Not to sound daft but my boyfriend is exactly the same and apparently he's at high risk of contracting it in the next few years.
  • MkVsTheWorld
    MkVsTheWorld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get sugar cravings too. I have no clue why. Not a whole lot has worked for me either. I have seen a doctor and my blood sugar has always been within norms too. Sugar cravings got especially worse for me when I started long-distance running. When I got done running 10 miles, nothing hits the spot more than a bunch of clementines or grapes. But, since I started weight training, that has actually gotten more manageable.

One thing I do though is just make sure I can burn off the extra sugar intake. If you like sugar then you like sugar. Why fight it?
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    its the autmatic reaction to your body wanting sugar - Ive done that!

The secret is to try and switch the type of fruits you are eating for starters at least.

Look for Low GI fruits, and fruits with less sugar. Then try eating them with greek yoghurt. I always fill up when I eat an apple sliced into segments and dip it into greek yoghurt.

It takes a bit of time, like everything worthwhile, but by switching fruits and trying new ones you will not only keep boredom at bay, but get great nutrients along the way and gradually be able to wean yourself to fruits not as highly saturated in sugar.

It works - I did it :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You might need to eliminate the fruit for a while until you can get past the cravings. Natural sugars are still sugar and make your blood sugar spike and insulin be released and when you come down the cravings kick back in (just like refined and processed carbs).

Too much fruit can still put on the pounds because those insulin spikes promote fat storage. And they can be high in calories.
    Look online for lists of low GI fruits. Berries have the lowest sugar amounts. I had 6 fat strawberries today. 40 calories and 9g of sugar.
  • luvs2pugs
    luvs2pugs Posts: 52
    Options
    I have to say I am completely in awe that you could give up all sweets except fruit! Way to go! However, you might be craving the fruit because your body wants to have some carbs? Have you considered adding a serving of a healthy grain like Quinoa? That might help without adding an overload of carbs to your system. Good luck.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think the sugar in fruit is that big of a deal. I mean, there should definitely be a limit on the amount of fruit one eats, but I'm not as worried about it as I am refined added sugars. I usually eat about three or four pieces of fruit every day. I guess I'm not really that big of a help.... lol Sorry. :ohwell:
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    You could try chewing sugar free gum or sugar free mints of some sort i.e tic tacs or soft mints ?
    Or drinking sugar free squashes. Not sure really what else to suggest, but if you are finding it that hard to not eat sugar you may want to be a little wary of diabetes. Not to sound daft but my boyfriend is exactly the same and apparently he's at high risk of contracting it in the next few years.

my father has diabetes....you hit the nail on the head : /
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Sugar free gum can just make the cravings worse. Your body tastes sweet so it thinks it's getting sugar but doesn't. So - the craving kicks in.

It's the constant blood sugar spikes that cause the body to keep having to release insulin until you develop insulin resistance which causes Diabetes. My dad is on dialysis and my brother was recently diagnosed.
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I get sugar cravings too. I have no clue why. Not a whole lot has worked for me either. I have seen a doctor and my blood sugar has always been within norms too. Sugar cravings got especially worse for me when I started long-distance running. When I got done running 10 miles, nothing hits the spot more than a bunch of clementines or grapes. But, since I started weight training, that has actually gotten more manageable.

One thing I do though is just make sure I can burn off the extra sugar intake. If you like sugar then you like sugar. Why fight it?

so glad i'm not alone...thank you for the encouragement : )
  • summerlove0617
    Options
    I eat my fruit with greek yogurt & granola & some bran...super yummy...on the new weight watchers points plus program you can eat all the fruit you want which is interesting cuz before you couldn't....I also eat my fruit as a side with my sandwich or salad at lunch instead of crackers or chips etc, fills you up faster too & I'm not hungry an hour later!
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    its the autmatic reaction to your body wanting sugar - Ive done that!

The secret is to try and switch the type of fruits you are eating for starters at least.

Look for Low GI fruits, and fruits with less sugar. Then try eating them with greek yoghurt. I always fill up when I eat an apple sliced into segments and dip it into greek yoghurt.

It takes a bit of time, like everything worthwhile, but by switching fruits and trying new ones you will not only keep boredom at bay, but get great nutrients along the way and gradually be able to wean yourself to fruits not as highly saturated in sugar.

It works - I did it :)

i'm going to give this another try...i tend to eat the same things over and over (mostly berries and green apples since im trying to detox from candida) i've had some pretty adverse reactions to certain fruits after detoxing (i.e. grapes, bananas...figs are the worst and i love them ahhhhhh) so it's been frustrating. i feel like my blood sugar gets way out of whack when i eat sugary fruits and so i get ravenous. so frustrating : (
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    all of these suggestions are helpful. thank you all for the support!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have tried to aggressively cut out all fruit from my diet. So far I have got it down to half of what it was.

I now take in

1-2 apples
    8 blueberries
    4 strawberries
    4" of banana
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I have to say I am completely in awe that you could give up all sweets except fruit! Way to go! However, you might be craving the fruit because your body wants to have some carbs? Have you considered adding a serving of a healthy grain like Quinoa? That might help without adding an overload of carbs to your system. Good luck.

ahh i love quinoa...sometimes i still dont feel like i'm doing that well since my weight hasn't budged in some time....really needed the encouragement so thank you : )
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I have tried to aggressively cut out all fruit from my diet. So far I have got it down to half of what it was.

I now take in

1-2 apples
    8 blueberries
    4 strawberries
    4" of banana

how did you get there? i've managed to cut out everything else but giving up fruit entirely seems hard to imagine. any tips??
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I eat blueberries in Greek Yogurt, strawberries, Granny Smith Apples, and raisins.

I do not eat candy, ice cream, or straight sugar.

As far as carbs... don't eliminate all of them.. just processed carbs and bread...

These carbs are awesome:

- Oatmeal
    - Potatoes
    - Brown Rice
    - Cottage Cheese

:)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You might need to eliminate the fruit for a while until you can get past the cravings. Natural sugars are still sugar and make your blood sugar spike and insulin be released and when you come down the cravings kick back in (just like refined and processed carbs).

Too much fruit can still put on the pounds because those insulin spikes promote fat storage. And they can be high in calories.
    Look online for lists of low GI fruits. Berries have the lowest sugar amounts. I had 6 fat strawberries today. 40 calories and 9g of sugar.

I am pretty sure fructose doesn't trigger the insulin response.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I now take in

1-2 apples
    8 blueberries
    4 strawberries
    4" of banana

how did you get there? i've managed to cut out everything else but giving up fruit entirely seems hard to imagine. any tips??

I just decided one day I am not going to take in fruits. Cut out the fruits and added more oats and flax seed into my breakfast protein shake!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit every day. They've been instrumental in my losing almost 100 pounds and in keeping it off.
    Wouldn't ever drop them from my diet! :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I noticed a connection a long time ago between my overall sugar intake and weight loss. I don't eat a lot of added sugar as it is, but when you have a couple servings of fruit, a full complement of veggies and some dairy it is very easy to hit 50-60g on that alone. I have cut back to 2 servings per day (down from 4 or 5), last piece by 2pm. And I am limiting to berries, apples and citrus for now since they seem to have the most "bang for the buck": lower sugar and high volume for citrus and berries, and high fiber for apples.

I've only lost 2# but I will say my hunger and cravings have diminished significantly. Granted that might have something to do with replacing them w/protein (non-fat no added sugar yogurt and cottage cheese). But it can't hurt to try and see if it helps.