home vs gym

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    _Tink_ wrote: »
    Definitely home, as I have a home gym. No waiting, no one distracting me, I can keep everything set up the way I need it, and there's no one to complain about me singing along to inappropriate lyrics on my iPod.

Yes! Every now and then, when one of those kick-*kitten* songs that you wouldn't sing around your mother comes on, I blush just in case someone around me can see what's going on in my mind, lol! I've usually ramped up the speed at that point ...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like the gym atmosphere. The weight room is great. If I'm doing cardio, I'd rather be outside, however. Cardio machines are mind numbing.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of those who have the room for a home gym, but that being said, you really need to ask yourself if you have the discipline to workout at home. As others have mentioned there are distractions to consider.

I have a typically small NY apartment... For my strength training I have 9' X 4' area between my bed and a book shelf and there's an adjustable bench in this space also, I have no problems doing most exercises, squats, bench presses, deadlifts, etc... only for DB Flyes do I have to angle the bench just right....
    as for distractions, everyone knows that hour after I get home from work is "my time", only bother me in case of emergencies.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hnsaunde wrote: »
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    I wish I could work out at home, but with no garage, a small house, and a basement with only 6' ceilings, there is no where to put equipment. So the gym it is! But it is a hassle, because I don't go right after work because it is too crowded and I can't get a rack, but if I wait until later, their daycare closes too early, so then I have to pay a babysitter if my husband isn't home. So I go at night after the kiddo is in bed and hubby is home, but often have to rush through to get to sleep at a reasonable time myself. I would kill to be able to lift weights while dinner is cooking or the kid is watching TV.

Have you tried finding a half rack instead of a full squat rack or power cage? I have 7 foot ceilings and the half rack fits nicely there.

Thanks, but I still wouldn't be able to do anything that required lifting over my head :)

Makes sense, I was just thinking about that actually. You could squat, bench press and deadlift with a half rack, but overhead press and anything similar wouldn't work.

seated bench press isn't off the table if that's not a concern- I prefer standing- but just saying- if that's all that's holding someone back- there are ways around it ;)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Gym. At home I get LAZY . . .
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I wish I could work out at home, but with no garage, a small house, and a basement with only 6' ceilings, there is no where to put equipment. So the gym it is! But it is a hassle, because I don't go right after work because it is too crowded and I can't get a rack, but if I wait until later, their daycare closes too early, so then I have to pay a babysitter if my husband isn't home. So I go at night after the kiddo is in bed and hubby is home, but often have to rush through to get to sleep at a reasonable time myself. I would kill to be able to lift weights while dinner is cooking or the kid is watching TV.

Have you tried finding a half rack instead of a full squat rack or power cage? I have 7 foot ceilings and the half rack fits nicely there.

Thanks, but I still wouldn't be able to do anything that required lifting over my head :)

Makes sense, I was just thinking about that actually. You could squat, bench press and deadlift with a half rack, but overhead press and anything similar wouldn't work.

seated bench press isn't off the table if that's not a concern- I prefer standing- but just saying- if that's all that's holding someone back- there are ways around it ;)

That's very true too! When I started using my half rack, I had to switch from regular bench press to an incline one, because even at the lowest setting on the pins, my arms were too short and I couldn't unrack properly, and I had no way to raise up the entire height of the bench. I ended up getting extremely frustrated until it was pointed out to me I could do inclines instead, and then supplement with pushups or dumbbell BP as accessories. Problem solved, and I'm back to being all happy with my home gym :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    For this reason alone is why I have to workout at home. If I took 2 hours out of the day to drive to the gym, find a parking spot, get to the locker, change, lift (and have to wait for equipment), cardio, shower, change, walk back to car, drive home, etc, my wife would chop my balls off and my kids would hate me! :-O

That's why I get up early and drive to a gym that's near work. Missing rush hour is awesome, and I would have left before my kids are up anyway.
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    For this reason alone is why I have to workout at home. If I took 2 hours out of the day to drive to the gym, find a parking spot, get to the locker, change, lift (and have to wait for equipment), cardio, shower, change, walk back to car, drive home, etc, my wife would chop my balls off and my kids would hate me! :-O

That's why I get up early and drive to a gym that's near work. Missing rush hour is awesome, and I would have left before my kids are up anyway.

I hear ya there mane! If I didn't work from home I might do it that way... When I used to go to the office downtown I did the same thing. Working out and missing rush-hour is def a win/win!
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and loved it, and I miss it a lot! One day if possible I would like to go back, but with my baby girl and lack of transportation it's just not possible for me right now. So home it is!

I am not lucky enough to have serious equipment though! I have started with my body weight and a bottle of detergent, LOL! Getting it done ;) Then I have bought an exercise mat and a pair of dumbbells. It's working out for now.

I do my own routine, and also yoga videos on YouTube. Making it work!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

That's very true too! When I started using my half rack, I had to switch from regular bench press to an incline one, because even at the lowest setting on the pins, my arms were too short and I couldn't unrack properly, and I had no way to raise up the entire height of the bench. I ended up getting extremely frustrated until it was pointed out to me I could do inclines instead, and then supplement with pushups or dumbbell BP as accessories. Problem solved, and I'm back to being all happy with my home gym :)

Haha, that is true. But my husband is 6'2", so putting weights in the only area of the house that he can't stand up straight in probably wouldn't be well received. So gym it is, but if we move, somewhere to put a full power rack will be on my "need" list. Either that, or I may decide my daughter doesn't really NEED a bedroom, does she? She loves Harry Potter, maybe I can move her under the stairs? ;)
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Haha, that is true. But my husband is 6'2", so putting weights in the only area of the house that he can't stand up straight in probably wouldn't be well received. So gym it is, but if we move, somewhere to put a full power rack will be on my "need" list. Either that, or I may decide my daughter doesn't really NEED a bedroom, does she? She loves Harry Potter, maybe I can move her under the stairs? ;)

Lol I definitely keep forgetting not everyone is a shortie like me! I'm 5'3, and my bf is 5'9, so we don't run into tall people problems often. Totally makes sense, and a full power rack is also on my need list too for when we actually buy a house :)
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm jealous of those who have the room for a home gym, but that being said, you really need to ask yourself if you have the discipline to workout at home. As others have mentioned there are distractions to consider.

It's not really that I have the room for it, it's that the exercise equipment is my #1 priority. Which means my living/dining room furniture, has to go. Besides most of the equipment can be used in much the same way as typical furniture. I sit on my stability ball and/or any of my other exercise equipment, that has a seat; when I eat, etc. I've even fallen asleep on my Total Gym Fit, so it makes a great daybed/guest bed as well.

Also I don't get distracted because I am a multitasker. I won't allow myself to watch television, unless I'm exercising.
  • GonzoMan530
    GonzoMan530 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found that for me, a gym membership is a recipe for failure. Again, just me - but I get demotivated when I think of driving to a gym, changing, working out, showering, getting changed again, driving home.

I prefer working out at home and for about the cost of (or half) I was able to acquire everything I need on craigslist - weights, bars, benches, boxing bags and this month's big score - a power cage that I traded for an old Xbox - came with a bench too.

Between the motions of getting to the gym, waiting for equipment and the music - which in my area is usually hip hop or top 40 crap, I prefer to be alone, in my own space, in my own head, where I can get a lot done in a shorter amount of time.

An example - last time I went to a gym, I wanted to use the bench - there were 2, one with 3 guys working and another with one guy, doing the bare minimum of reps - he'd stop and do what I call "the thinker" - he'd sit there, headphones on, put his elbow on his knee so he could rest his head and contemplate his non- thoughts. He ignored me and anyone else who asked to work in and it was a recurring issue for me.

When I combined the above factors, I never looked forward to going to the gym and as a result, would stop going altogether, but still pay the monthly fee. At home with my equipment however, I've consistently worked out 3-5 times a week - I just don't have the excuses to not go anymore.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

When we bought our house a couple years ago we made sure to get one that had room for a home gym. Gotta love the relatively low real estate prices here in the Midwest!

And the discipline to work out at home isn't too different than the discipline to go to the gym and work out. It is all about getting started. My husband and I are pretty good at motivating each other.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lifted in both. With a power rack a bar and a adjustable bench I can do the basic lifts. However I always had to move lawnmowers and rearrange the garage to get to it. Hey Jim is so nice at least mine is. I feel like I am being spoiled at my gym. Also if I am paying for it I will go.

quote="jfmorache;10103796"]Hey guys I want your opinions! You prefer to train at home or at gym .. and why ? :) thx[/quote]

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At home. I like working out alone. I like being able to play loud music and not have headphones in, and I don't like to share or wait. Plus the added bonus of not having to go out in the cold. If I had to leave the house when it was cold in order to work out, I probably wouldn't work out very often.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I converted my garage to a home gym. Convenience. Concentration.

I prefer working out in the sunshine so I always start outside first. That gives me more drive to go inside my home gym. There I can watch and perfect my performance in the mirror with weights, treadmill, elliptical... Naked if I want ;):blush: And,"ain't nobody needs to be hearing me sing".
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth: gym for a couple years, home for a couple years. To me, the biggest cons to a gym are class times I need to work around since I really enjoy group fitness. I love to kickbox, but don't have the bag equipment at my house. I found a kickboxing gym near me that doesn't have class times and I LOVE it! I look forward to it every day and go 5 times a week. It fits my life so well right now.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Home preferred for convenience's sake - cuts out time for getting to a gym, dressing, etc, and you can do it in your underwear so LESS LAUNDRY - but I go to the gym because it has equipment I need and more cardio options than I can do safely at home (working around injury).

If I could do impact stuff to get my heart rate up, or if I could afford all the machines I use, I'd stay home.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Weights at the gym, cardio & calisthenics at home. For cardio, I swim, as my building complex has a pool; use videos that I've downloaded; or I spin on a small foldable stationary bike I bought off of Craigslist. I would do it all at home if I could, but I have no room for weight equipment in my one bedroom apartment.