Advice on Stretching & Warm ups PLEASE

Options
Hey People of MFP!

I recently pulled a muscle in my leg. It sucks because now I have to wait until it's better before I run agai.

I have no idea if I am stretching right or enough...

Any ideas on ways to stretch eapecially legs? Please

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    warm up before activity and stretch afterwards. you can look up fitness blender warm up and cool down videos(on youtube under fitnessblender or at fitnessblender.com. they will show you many different ways to do it.
  • Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Long stretch...30 seconds.... no bounce...relax muscle between stretch repetition.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    A good running warm-up doesn't include static stretching (holding a stretch for a period of time.

Start with a short walk or jog. You can include some strides (where you speed up (not quite to a sprint) then slow down). Then include some dynamic stretching. I usually do a few of the following:

- large, slow arm circles
    - High knees: run short distance (like 20-30 yards (or in place)) where I lift my knees high
    - butt kickers: run a short distance (like 20-30 yards (or in place)) kicking my butt
    - bend down and touch my toes then stand up. Repeat a few times. I move a moderate pace. I like this because it helps my loosen up my back.
    - side twists - stand with feet shoulder width apart and twist the upper body side to side. Not too quickly.

This all takes less than 5 minutes. Then when I start my run, I try not to go too fast in the beginning.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Long stretch...30 seconds.... no bounce...relax muscle between stretch repetition.

Do not do this. Follow sjp_511's advice. Dynamic stretching is what you want to do before a run. Save the long-held, static stretches -- like touching your toes, or hurdlers, or twists, etc. -- for after a run.
    Research has shown that static stretching leaves your muscles about 20-30 percent weaker than normal for about half an hour after doing it. The worry is that being weaker might make you more prone to injury.
    Dynamic stretching -- warming up well, really -- has been shown to decrease risk of injury.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Typical stretching routine and T-nation yoga is what I do.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Static stretching is not this evil thing. If you have overly stiff muscles that active or dynamic stretching can not loosen, then you really need to do 30-sec's of static stretching. Muscle Inhibition doesn't really occur until around 45-sec's or so. Altered Reciprocal Inhibition occurs when muscles cannot move properly and it can lead to injury, so worrying about static stretching for overly stiff muscles is kind of silly. Self-Myofacial release by way of a foam roller and / or lacrosse ball can help prior to the actual stretching.
  • SJunczyk
    SJunczyk Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips etc :)

Feeling a little gutted that I have managed to pull a muscle.. I just soo hope the deep freeze, some
    Ibuprofen gel and resting my leg will work its magic :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    SJunczyk wrote: »
    Thanks for your tips etc :)

Feeling a little gutted that I have managed to pull a muscle.. I just soo hope the deep freeze, some
    Ibuprofen gel and resting my leg will work its magic :)

Which muscle? It doesn't have to be related to tight muscles? It could be related to an under-active / over-active muscle.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't feel badly - pulled muscles heal relatively quickly and I've never had lasting effects so you'll come out the other side just fine.
    -
    The only thing I 'static' stretch pre-workout is my back. Once warm I always do some cat stretches (squat, hands on quad and arch/bend my back) and spinal twists. But I have an injury to protect plus and my back is always stiff/achy.

Also check out Jessica Smith on youtube, I know she has at least one stretching video.