Don't eat the dead ones...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    <insert suck the heads joke here>
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Never had crawfish, but I'm pretty sure they're a Southern food, and I like Southern food.
  • WarDamnJay
    WarDamnJay Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    They are delicious!!!
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Eww, mudbugs. All my friends love em. South Texas girl, so you can imagine a majority of meals have this.
  • _John_
    Options
    Most of the coonasses don't let the good ones leave Louisiana...a lot of the commercial ponds for harvesting them are between Lake Charles and Lafayette, so you do math ok where they're best...

Some do come right out'da 'basin though.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love them extra spicy!
  • WarDamnJay
    WarDamnJay Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    I grew up in New Orleans and I will only eat them when I am there!
  • _John_
    Options
    If you can feel your fingers and lips or use the bathroom (for men) in the middle of your first five pounds, then they aren't spicy enough...
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Never fancied these.
  • paulcassels14
    paulcassels14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    True on the spices lol men please make sure u wash ur hands before peeing. R u will regret it
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We get them by the cooler full in streams and lakes when out camping, then do them up scampi style with butter and garlic.

Good stuff.
  • kdchenxi
    kdchenxi Posts: 108
    Options
    we eat these by the table full in china. best night snack around. only thing you can find to eat past midnight
  • _John_
    Options
    China is actually the worlds largest supplier of North American Red Swamp crawfish...
  • kdchenxi
    Options
    wait...how can they supply north american crawfish? or are they supplying crawfish to north america?
  • _John_
    edited March 2015
    Options
    China produces the most crawfish (with enough red swamp to actually produce more than the US does). In many cases the imports in the US from china may be the EXACT same species as grown in the US and "red swamp" crawfish are preferred due to size and ease of mass production.

They're co-cultivated in rice patties or just in shallow ponds like rice patties.

As an invasive species "red swamp" crawfish displace a lot of native crawfish in areas they've been transplanted.
  • kmlong2015
    kmlong2015 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Love these! We fish and trap, end up taking a few pounds home everytime we go. In the summer.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Louisiana crawfish are the best
  • kdchenxi
    Options
    the more you know... hell I live in China and I didn't know that. you must really love you some crawdads
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    mmm Baton Rouge has some good crawfish.