Starting C25k on Saturday

Options
I've decided to start doing the C25k program on Saturday. Anyone out there care to join me or anyone who has already done it who has tips for me? I've never trained for a 5k and I'm not really a fan of running but it's something I will overcome and conquer!

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it on treadmill?
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    I think I'm actually going to do it outside. Around my block is almost exactly one mile so I though that would be a good place to start.
  • cloud92222
    cloud92222 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm mentally preparing myself for day 2 tonight! Never been a runner but always wanted to be :) The first day was hard but huge sense of accomplishment after I was done. Best of luck!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    doing it outside is best - running on a treadmill is VERY different. so if you truly want to run a 5K - train outside.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    Way to go!! It is challenging, but I am loving the fact that I am pushing myself to do something that I have always avoided. I am on week 6 and signed up for a 5K in exactly a month. I would say that I make it harder than it really is. Everytime the amount of running goes up I freak myself out thinking that I wont be able to do it, and everytime I am able to push myself through it. There will be hard days and easy days, but it feels so good everytime you push yourself harder.

I would also recommend running outside if possible, mush more inspirational and enjoyable than a treadmill. Good luck!!
  • nordam
    nordam Posts: 8
    Options
    Try both run and walk segments. Don't try to do all running until your body is more used to exercise and running. Don't try to run too fast. Go at a pace that you feel you can manage. If its too hard, try walking. Otherwise you might find yourself frustrated and discouraged. I had tried running multiple times but always hated it. Now I absolutely love running. What got me started was a program from runnersworld.com which had me run 2 minutes; walk 1 min; and repeat for 30 min. Over time I phased out the walking. It worked well. It kept me motivated and not frustrated as I had been many time before. Running outside is WAY more fun and interesting than treadmills.

If you need motivation, try volunteering at the finish line of a marathon or half marathon. Seeing the happy and proud faces of people who accomplished a feat like that and loved every second of it, inspired me to try to be one of those people I had previously thought were crazy.

Make sure you are enjoying it and doing it because you want to. Keep it up. Even the most experienced runners have bad days and find it tough to get out the door. Its an awesome stress reliever!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My adivice is don't give up. Running isn't fun in the beginning. Keep your pace slow and do your workouts. Don't be afraid to walk a little even when you run the race, you're less likely to get injured and you'll find that you can run alot longer. Finishing your first race (no matter what the time) will be a real motivator. I did my first 5k a few months ago and am now training for a half-marathon. Don't give up!!!
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started this on 1st May. First try nearly killed me, 2nd was already better. By the 3rd I had decided I wasn't going to MAKE myself stick rigidly to the plan, I wasn't fit enough to push for 1.30 so soon. So I didn't. Despite this, on my 2nd week (tonight in fact) I hit 2 minutes, twice, and it wasn't a struggle either.

I tend to do 1minute first jog, then increase by 15 seconds. It's better to take twice the amount of time and not put yourself off!

I'd also recommend NOT taking two days off. My first day on the 2nd week killed again and I'm pretty sure it's because I had 2 days off.
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    Well...I tried. This is going to be a work in progress.