thought i plateaued. now i am actually gaining weight.

i stick to between 1000-1100 calories a day. i am considered obese, so...no reason that it should be this hard to lose. i walk 10,000+ steps daily and the elliptical 5 days/week. i have been stuck on and off for a week at a time. but i am now gaining? any advice to bust through this? it's so discouraging!

thank you.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi:

First of all, your calorie target looks too low to me.
    I am including a link to a very good MFP thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest
    Please read it. It maybe give you some "food for thought"
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    i stick to between 1000-1100 calories a day. i am considered obese, so...no reason that it should be this hard to lose. i walk 10,000+ steps daily and the elliptical 5 days/week. i have been stuck on and off for a week at a time. but i am now gaining? any advice to bust through this? it's so discouraging!

thank you.

First things first, do you weigh your food and log exercise calories accurately? You will not be gaining weight on that few calories a day, no way. Why are you on such a low calorie plan? You will not need to be.

How long have you been doing this for? And how much do you think you are gaining?

EDIT, just looked at diary. One day with 900 calories eaten and 700 exercised. You are starving yourself, and I would highly recommend seeing a doctor.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    You are very seriously undereating. If you're logging everything, and logging accurately, you're often eating less than 1000, and then also you are exercising on top of that, meaning you're netting even less. You have more calories REMAINING to eat on some days than some dieters (who are eating within healthy guidelines) eat at all.

What do you have MFP set to? (activity level, and rate of loss per week) --> You're often eating less than half of what MFP is telling you to. (You're supposed to eat what it tells you to, and maybe half your exercise calories.)

My advice would be to stop starving yourself first. Wait a couple months to see how that goes. And then resume dieting but properly. Or go see a doctor. And I don't mean this to sound mean, I just want you to take it seriously that you're hurting yourself.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Not possible hun. You'd be burning nearly 500 on that much exercise leaving only 500 to use throughout the day for simple body function. Your deficit would be very high and you'd definitely not gain. How long have you been doing the 1000 cals a day?
  • About ten days a month, up to and including my girly time, I don't show any weight loss. Usually I plateau for a few days and then put on a few pounds of water weight ( this month it was three pounds). It's discouraging but I know it's just the way my body is. After I drop the water weight and can get back to my regular weight loss
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I'll just leave this here...http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here...http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org

After reading, I echo this.

Grapegoddess, please read that link and talk with our doctor. The best of luck to you.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Do you log AS you eat or after, at the end of the day? For example, most of Friday is past, yet I don't see anything on your diary for today? Estimates afterwards are often badly inaccurate.

Are there foods you are not logging? Are you grabbing an "energy" drink with your workouts and not logging it? Do you drink soda? When you say 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, how full are those spoons?

As others said, if you are logging accurately, you are severely undereating. It cannot cause you to gain weight, but it can cause horrible health problems. Please talk to a physician and/or a nutritionist.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You have days netting 198, 102, and -3 calories. Eat more, or speak with a professional. What you're doing is seriously going to damage your body.
  • grapegoddess1
    grapegoddess1 Posts: 2 Member
    I am logging accurately. I measure all of my food on a scale. My breakfast and lunch is the same everyday so I sometimes log it later. I only drink water other than my morning coffee.

This doesn't feel very supportive. I am okay with you saying you think I eat too little, etc. but dropping an eating disorder link feels like trolling and its mean and not helpful.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    1,000 calories/day? You must be hungry
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    They're not trolling you they're being serious. What you're doing is disordered.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    I am logging accurately. I measure all of my food on a scale. My breakfast and lunch is the same everyday so I sometimes log it later. I only drink water other than my morning coffee.

This doesn't feel very supportive. I am okay with you saying you think I eat too little, etc. but dropping an eating disorder link feels like trolling and its mean and not helpful.

You say you have logged accurately, feel you are gaining weight, yet have days where you have totalled under 200 calories once your exercise is taken into consideration.

Why would people suggesting speaking to a doctor about how unhealthy that is be mean, trolling or unhelpful?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Do you binge? Do you log your binges?
  • Agreed; you still have to eat enough to lose weight. When you don't, your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to every pound.

Try to set a reasonable goal of 1-2 pounds to lose. Eat all of your calories and 1/2 of your exercise calories back.
  • kCalCrusher
    kCalCrusher Posts: 54 Member
    I understand you want to lose fast and you feel like the basis is calories in, calories out but there's more to it than that. There are exceptions and your body going in to starvation mode because it doesn't have enough calories to fuel your daily functioning is one of them. You're doing more harm than good to your body and your weight loss efforts. Eat more, but make better choices... fruits, vegetables, proteins. You will see a change - it's inevitable... if you do it the right way. I think anyone is trolling- there is obviously an issue either with your physical health or psychological health if you feel like you are only going to reach your weight loss goals exercising all of your calories away. Chin up- slow and steady wins the race =)
  • prudenceiam
    prudenceiam Posts: 1 Member
    Since no one else mentioned these 2 things. One - have you done your body measurements? I had an experience years ago where the scale was saying I was going no where for Three months. But because of my activity levels I was building muscle mass. Another thought is, It is possible your metabolism is not functioning properly. Talk with your doctor about your diet experience, perhaps your thyroid or something else involved with your metabolism is not functioning properly. It will certainly do no harm to talk with the doctor and it could do you loads of good.
    - I hope this is helpful for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    if your logging is accurate, you are NOT eating enough.

im 5'2, 228 (started at 250) and eat around 1500 calories per day (sometimes i eat back exercise calories, sometimes not) and still lose right about 1.5-2 pounds per week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which is the most misinformed comment in a thread. Is it the starvation mode lie ... the gaining appreciable muscle mass in an extreme deficit ... or is it the person with disordered actions getting all butthurt when its pointed out?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2015

No, it's not mean at all. People are honestly trying to help you.