Any 5K Runners?

Options

Replies

• fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yuyutu81 wrote: »
    I just signed up an non competitive run at the end of April. I have never been a runner, actually hate running as a matter of fact but I want to start running and thought this would be a good motivator. :)

That's awesome! I find that having a race to train for definitely helps keep me motivated.
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I also ran my first 5k last thanksgiving and will be running again this Saturday. Last time, my 2 boys ran with me. This time my husband is joining us. So Excited to be able to do it together!!!

Now, we just need to train our 5-year-old girl to join us in the future :smiley:

My 9yo daughter crushes me - she's very athletic. :smiley:
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Cool! Yeah, we parents wouldn't mind our kids out run us. My boys (11 and 9 yo) were slower than me last time. Let's see how they do this Saturday.
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

Cool! Yeah, we parents wouldn't mind our kids out run us. My boys (11 and 9 yo) were slower than me last time. Let's see how they do this Saturday.

Maybe it's a boy/girl thing... my 11yo son is slower. But I tell you what; my daughter ran my last prep run with me yesterday and she's still faster than I am. Gonna have to encourage her to give track a try when she's old enough at school.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have fun! On my own, my 5k time is about 33 minutes. Will be doing one this weekend Sunday @ 1am (Chasing the Moonlight, before the time change) with Hubby. He has just started back with some running, so he'll set our pace. Whether I'm running or walking at a brisk pace, I get in a good workout and it will be fun to do this together.

We're doing a 10k together on the 4th of July.
    I'll be doing the Run to Fight Children’s Cancer at Grand Canyon University this weekend - it will be my second 5K.

I'm not very fast - anything under 40 minutes will be a good time for me at this point. :smiley:

• agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Did my first 5k last may;
    Did my first half marathon in October :)

I really enjoy the "fun runs" like I did a gorilla costume run, a Halloween run, a "pig run" (where you carried a stuffed pig with a timer) and a mud run. The last one was my favorite!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last November at the end of the C25K program in 39:47. I couldn't run the whole thing and walked more than I wanted to but finished.

Last weekend I ran my first "real" (chipped, bibbed, etc) 5k, ran the whole thing and finished in 36:10! I guess the work is paying off but I realize that I'm going to have to kick it up multiple notches if I want to get faster and/or run longer. I'm running another 5k tomorrow just because it's there :) (I NEVER thought I'd be that person, but there it is nonetheless)

I never thought I'd be that person either but I've done that too. LOL
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    Finished in 37.09. I'm stunned - I thought 38:00 would be pushing my limits.

I'm looking at another one early in April already...
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

Great job man!

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Great run! I'm not fast either and would be thrilled with that time. Way to go!
  • helenleeeeee
    helenleeeeee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep at it!
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Last year was the year of the 5k for me! Did 4 of them, sub 30 and then ran a 5 mile on Thanksgiving and realized how much more I like longer races any day.

Have a sprint tri, 10k, and half lined up for this year, with intentions to do a full marathon early next year.

Keep at it! :)
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My current PR is 25:01 and I've been training to do a sub 25-minute - hoping next week is it for me!! I love 5ks! :)

Congrats on your new PR, OP!! :)
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    Thanks! Running has never been my "thing." Even as a kid, I hated it, and was bad at it; mostly because I have flat feet and naturally lousy form, as it turns out.

By the time I got to high school, I blew both knees out playing football. I developed a lifelong aversion to running, thinking there was no way I could handle it as it was too "high impact."

Truth is, 9 out of 10 times, this is just an excuse. Decent shoes and an emphasis on good technique can overcome just about anything, and determination takes care of the rest. I'm a long way from running anything considered a "fast" time in the 5k, but it is a good distance for me as I can easily train for it an hour at a time, which is about all I can manage given my schedule.

When I decided to get in better shape back in September, I knew I would have to "get comfortable with what's uncomfortable" and "turn a weakness into a strength" (pardon the cliches) and learn to run, because I live in a rural area far from any gym where I could work out, and I didn't have the money to invest in home equipment.

But I have miles and miles of farm roads, and it costs me nothing to jog on them.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Way to go! You should be very proud of yourself :)

After a lifetime of being someone who would run only if being chased by a bear, I ran my 1st 5k last September. I was aiming for under 45 minutes and to run the whole thing...it was so hot/humid, I ended up walking a bit of mile 2, but I finished in 36:12. Just enough to hook me :) I've run 3 more 5ks since and a 4-miler . . . I have a 3- and 5-miler and a 10k coming up in April and a half-marathon in May. I'm trying out different distances to find my "sweet spot."

Good luck in whatever you, and everyone, have upcoming!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well done on your planned race as like all on here we have all tried our bet and that's what matters I do 5k every Saturday morning with park run that's how I started with my first run and have never looked back my best time was 26 min's and worse was 51 mins so well done all we are all winners
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    5k is my favorite distance. Challenging but fun and a good chance to see what you've got. In 3 years of consistent training I've manage to go from 36 minutes to 19:14. Not bad for an old guy. :smile:
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    5k is my favorite distance. Challenging but fun and a good chance to see what you've got. In 3 years of consistent training I've manage to go from 36 minutes to 19:14. Not bad for an old guy. :smile:

That's so inspiring! I ran my first in November in 32:17, and have since run a 29:57, a 29:46, and a 4-mile race in 36:06 just a few weeks ago. I would LOVE to run sub-20 one day.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

My first 5k (on Thanksgiving) was around 42-43 minutes... Unless I come up injured or not feeling well, I should beat that and set a new PR; I've lost a lot of weight and I'm certainly faster now.

40 or less is my goal; 38 would make me REALLY happy.

Were you running this winter? If so your time should improve. Mine in October was 42:53, did one Saturday and finished 33:08.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Oh see, I knew you would improve lol
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

That's so inspiring! I ran my first in November in 32:17, and have since run a 29:57, a 29:46, and a 4-mile race in 36:06 just a few weeks ago. I would LOVE to run sub-20 one day.
    Stay consistent with you're training and in a yr or 2, who knows. You could even surpass it.