How do I break the cycle??

Options
Eat healthy and exercise......how much simpler could it be; so why is it so hard to do?!?!?

Food is my biggest issue and I don't mean that I eat a lot, I mean that I eat all the wrong kind of food. So how do I break the habit of eating high carb, high sugar, high fat foods without feeling like I am punishing myself? Now I know in reality I am punishing myself by eating those foods but it is really hard to get myself to understand this and get the cravings to go away. I will do really good for a few days making healthy choices and then I give in to one craving which just sends me into a downward spiral that will last a few days before I kick myself and get back on track for another few days and so on. I so want to break the cycle but I just don't know how!

Sometimes I just feel so helpless but I know that the only one who can help me is ME! I have tried so many times in the past 5 years to change and I am tired of failing. I must get myself to change - not only for me but for my children; I don't want them to grow up with the same bad habits I have, I want them to learn now how to be healthy.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    until you truly WANT to do it... you won't. it all comes from within.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up anything? You don't need to give up foods, you need to eat in a deficit.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You have to take baby steps. You can't just say ok I'm not going to have this, this, this and that anymore after having all that your whole life. It simply doesn't work like that, you'll fail.

I use to drink 5-7 cans of soda a day, eat cookies, bread, drink tons of juice and all kind of junk my whole life. What did I do? Simple. Replaced those items with better alternatives.

Diet soda, fiber one bars, 40 calorie wheat bread, fruits, flat bread. I got use to it that I no longer care about the junk I use to eat. It took me a year to buy myself a pack of oreos. Do I crave oreos everyday? No. Matter fact, I have two red velvet oreo packs unopened in my room. They've been there for like three weeks. I'll get to them eventually....

Before someone tells me diet soda will kill me. I'm already working on moving away from soda in general. I actually enjoy water throughout the day and lemon water with my meals but I do believe diet soda is a fantastic help to people to get away from the regular stuff in MODERATION. The only time I would use diet soda was for dinner. One can a day, no more.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You first have to figure out why you eat the way you do - are you an emotional eater? Do you eat junk because it's easier? Cost? When you figure that out, it is easier to better understand when and how you will be drawn to those foods and create a plan for different behavior. Figure out the why, then focus on the what. After that, it's simply decision making and planning to eat well.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the "baby steps" comment, because of how simple carbs like sweets, white bread and pasta affect blood sugar.

A couple chocolate chip cookies causes a blood sugar spike, an insulin response, and a blood sugar crash. The crash causes fatigue, hunger and cravings for - you guessed it - more sugar!

For me, cold turkey works best. Strive for 3-4 great days. No sugar, no sweets, no pasta, no white bread, no junk food. Eat lean protein, complex carbs, veggies and lots of water. Don't drink any calories.

If you're like me, and I suspect you are, you'll feel AWFUL for a day or two. I get a sugar withdrawal headache. Hang in there! After 3 days or so, you'll come out the other side and feel awesome. No more cravings for sweets and junk.

From there you may be able to eat simple carbs in moderation... Carefully! I find I can have a few pieces of chocolate but pasta still causes me problems.

Good luck!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It may be easier, until you answer some questions for yourself, to just remove the sugary items you have trouble with from your house. I don't mean give them up altogether. I read an article the other day that talked about having treats as treats. Have them when you go out to eat. Or have them on special occasions. Truly let them be treats instead of every day goodies, just until you get a handle on controlling the foods you have trouble controlling. Give yourself more time without them in the house tempting you to binge. Remember, everything in moderation is the answer. Eat only the calories you are allowed, stop when you reach your calorie limit. If you do this you won't have a lot of extra room for to many sweets if you first eat the healthy protein, fat and carbs your body needs. Best of luck to you.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    You need to realize you don't have to restrict any of those things. You can eat whatever you want, in moderation. I'm not advocating a diet of solely chips or cookies, but if you ate a little bit of what you crave, when you crave it, and fit it into your diet, in addition to your 3 square meals, you may have better luck controlling yourself. I eat plenty of healthy foods-meats, fruits, and veggies, yet I still have room for dessert every day. I'm just suggesting you try it. You may find it actually works!
  • zzaped
    zzaped Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Look into Flexible dieting : You can still eat all those things and still lose weight. All you need to remember is to hit your macros and stay at a deficit
  • Lisa_0527
    Lisa_0527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support/advice. o:)
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's all about COMMITMENT.
  • Designer20698
    Designer20698 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree that deprivation is a setup for failure. Cold turkey doesn't work for most of us. Moderation is the key to success. If I'm craving chocolate then one bite size piece sends the message to my brain and I'm happy and done. Twenty bites sends a message to my hips that I'm going up a pant size.
  • wordcakes33
    Options
    I am the same way. Lost 20lbs, felt great...went to Portland, had one Voodoo donut and the next thing I knew it was four months and 25lbs of weight gain later. A few false starts trying to get back on track, but I feel good about it now. Two weeks in, 5lbs down. I find making a large batch of paleo chili or vegetable soup helps, because I get filling savoury meals that won't break the calorie bank. Also lots of berries and a tablespoon of light peanut butter to combat the afternoon sweet cravings helps. And diet root beer! And visualizing success with little reward milestones: 5lbs, a new hairstyle; 10lbs, new jeans etc. I know that each day I stick with it, it will get easier to stick with it. Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Learn to find pleasure and reward in things other than food.

Also, don't try to change everything all at once. Pick a couple of reasonable, measurable goals and work on them until they become habit. Then add a couple more things.

If you try to do it all at once, you will fail.