Will losing 20 pounds make much of a difference?

Options
I've never really been happy with my body, mainly because I have features like lovehandles and manboobs and I've always atttributed this to me being always slightly overweight.
However, now I've just started on here and I've lost about 2 pounds but my body still seems to be the same shape... just a bit flatter.
I know it's early days but do you think I will look much different after losing 10 pounds, or would I need to start building muscle to make a real difference?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You really can't expect any change with 2 lbs. But yes, 10, 20, 30 lbs, etc. will eventually show on your body.

That being said, if you just want your body to look different, you may benefit more from lifting weights, as that will change your inches quite a bit.
  • sgtchester
    sgtchester Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    keep at it. 20 lbs will definitely make a difference. You might not notice the change as much as others do though.
  • marenba21
    marenba21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started seeing the difference at around 7 pounds, but more than on the way I looked in the mirror I noticed of the fitting of my clothes.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the starting weight. Someone starting at 160 will see a bigger difference than someone starting at 360. Regardless, losing 20 pounds is credit worthy!
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel much better/different since losing around 10lbs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um...14md76ykufzv.gif
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Depends on your starting weight. I've lost 8lbs and two people told me they'd noticed I'd lost weight today (I don't tell anyone I'm dieting or anything...) *shrugs*
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    YES definitely! Keep it up and you'll see change!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy. It'll help a lot with love handles and man boobs. You can't expect to look different over night.
  • ff462legoman
    Options
    Well the plan is to go from 187 pounds to 165 pounds (converting from kg - I'm European), so it's not like I'm extremely heavy in the first place. But before this, I'd lost some weight already so my trousers (or pants in America) are feeling quite baggy now.
    Also, is it possible to build muscle when losing weight? I've heard that when you lose weight you're also losing muscle...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well the plan is to go from 187 pounds to 165 pounds (converting from kg - I'm European), so it's not like I'm extremely heavy in the first place. But before this, I'd lost some weight already so my trousers (or pants in America) are feeling quite baggy now.
    Also, is it possible to build muscle when losing weight? I've heard that when you lose weight you're also losing muscle...

You are. With the exception of newbie gains, its extremely difficult to gain muscle in a deficit.
    Seriously, you will definitely notice 20 pounds, but 2?? No. Normal daily fluctuations, especially for a male, can be up to 7 pounds.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    twenty pounds took four inches off my bust measurement.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same build as you (started at 190 - love handles and beginning moobs).

I started notice clothes difference at about 10 lb... and now at 15 lb lost, I can definitely tell a body difference. love handles are visibly less, stomach flattened out, moobs almost gone.. but I am doing a lot of bodyweight exercises to try and keep as much muscle as I can while I cut the fat bits off.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to 10 lbs loss and I still don't see any difference in the way I look, measurements have not changed, and clothes do not feel any looser. However, I feel better, and tighter in some areas. I think it takes a greater amount of weight (at least 20-30 lbs) to really notice anything.
  • Lynn_Chapman
    Lynn_Chapman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I noticed a difference @ 10lb. For me it was a lot in my face.
  • sherdnerdaok
    sherdnerdaok Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number. If you're unsatisfied with your look, try lifting some weights. Nothing crazy, but do 3 reps of 12-15, which will tone. Oddly enough, reps of 8-10 bulk you up.

Congrats on the first loss though! 2 pounds is a great start! And yes, you will definitely notice a difference in the way you feel after 20 pounds are gone. It'll be harder for you to notice in the mirror because you see yourself every day. When you hit the 20 pound mark, make a point of seeing someone who hasn't seen you in a month or so. They'll notice (and most likely say something) immediately! :)
  • bmattheis
    bmattheis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I want on the Omnitrition diet, best thing I ever did. Dropped 20 lbs in 6 weeks and I feel awesome 10, 15, or 20 pounds Make a huge difference. Remember " pounds before inches" if you're diligent you'll lose the pounds then your body will need to catch up, and you'll begin to notice the inches are melting away!
  • siurzua
    siurzua Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! Keep up the good work your body will thank you soon!!!
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It does make a huge difference. Especially closer to your ideal weight, it can potentially add more facial definition (in my experience). At heavier weights, it should be enough for others to notice, even if you don't.