Regarding the Spam...

Options
Just curious.

How come the Spam posts are always a whole bunch of random nonsense phrases thrown together? It doesn't seem like it could be for keywords as the phrases are absolutely random and unrelated to the product being peddled.

For instance, I just saw one with the phrase "anxious mice".

Anybody know...?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Probably so they'll come up in searches for those common words.

God I love being that 5th flagger.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why MFP doesn't have a better security team keeping this junk from even creating new users and spamming makes little sense to me.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Okay, but I mean, I can't remember the last time I Googled "anxious mice." KWIM?

I like being the fifth flagger too. :) God I need a hobby.

ETA: *flagger...darned autocorrect!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Okay, but I mean, I can't remember the last time I Googled "anxious mice." KWIM?

Hmm...I must be the only one....
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Well, you know, you're doing a noble job, Alyssa. Actually, I'm kind of ashamed now that I've been turning a blind and uncaring eye on the growing problem of mouse anxiety.

Won't somebody please think of the mice...?

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Well, you know, you're doing a noble job, Alyssa. Actually, I'm kind of ashamed now that I've been turning a blind and uncaring eye on the growing problem of mouse anxiety.

Won't somebody please think of the mice...?

Well, I just Googled anxious mice. Apparently there's a social anxiety mouse meme. I don't think it's very popular...

tumblr_mp36wvqRMP1rz0hhjo1_400.jpg
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why MFP doesn't have a better security team keeping this junk from even creating new users and spamming makes little sense to me.

It IS strange.

Oh well, at least it's entertaining. I mean why open a thread and read "Six ponds down and fatigued" when I can open a thread and read "But whenever bearing is place on the issue of how toast orange within my shame, of Heaven's missile"?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

It IS strange.

Oh well, at least it's entertaining. I mean why open a thread and read "Six ponds down and fatigued" when I can open a thread and read "But whenever bearing is place on the issue of how toast orange within my shame, of Heaven's missile"?

294161cc19a1f1e22fcf0d94cee27db5.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

How come the Spam posts are always a whole bunch of random nonsense phrases thrown together? It doesn't seem like it could be for keywords as the phrases are absolutely random and unrelated to the product being peddled.

Anybody know...?

Because everyone knows you search "anxious mice" when looking to lose weight.

On a more serious note: pretty sure they are just programs that throw random words together.
  • elphie754
    Options

Dare I ask what that autocorrected to? I can only really think of one word my autocorrect changes flag to and it is because I type it more often.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Dare I ask what that autocorrected to? I can only really think of one word my autocorrect changes flag to and it is because I type it more often.

Oh, nothing all that bad, LOL...it changed it to "flagged." Since I went back and edited it, now it all looks confusing. Sorry, been sick and not exactly firing on all cylinders tonight.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Although a pen pal of mine did have a great deal of fun recently when I was trying to tell him I was originally from New Jersey...I was trying to type "I'm an NJ girl" and it auto corrected it to BJ...I was flustered trying to clarify and with the help of autocorrect I kept telling him, "No, I'm an BJ girl, an BJ girl!"

Ah, fun with a Kindle. No wonder he wanted to be my pen pal, as grammar really doesn't matter much in such an application.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Hahaha! That's not nearly as bad as some of my autocorrects to coworkers or family. Yipes! Let's just say my one partner at work no longer asks about my social life at all after he got a hilarious autocorrect (my phone autocorrects to words most used).
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just curious.

Anybody know...?

A common automated spam filter program compares the number of "listed" words (e.g., fat, lose, diet, garcinia, etc.) with non-listed words, rejecting emails having too high an incidence of the listed words vs. non-listed words.

To defeat these types of filters, the spammers include a large enough number of random non-listed words to allow the message to pass by the filter program undetected.

Okay, thank you! My God but the lengths a sheister won't go to. ETA: or a sheister bot.

• Kelly79L
    Kelly79L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah but what is the point, does anybody actually read the through the nonsense? I had assumed it had been foreign text that didn't translate
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Kelly79L wrote: »
    Yeah but what is the point, does anybody actually read the through the nonsense? I had assumed it had been foreign text that didn't translate

I think some of the random combinations end up being pretty funny. or even poetic sometimes. i've saved a few, lol

"the upset in their figure is alone commendable" is my favourite title so far. and i edited one down to try to make a poem, once, called "slimwise ketone".
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

Anybody know...?

A common automated spam filter program compares the number of "listed" words (e.g., fat, lose, diet, garcinia, etc.) with non-listed words, rejecting emails having too high an incidence of the listed words vs. non-listed words.

To defeat these types of filters, the spammers include a large enough number of random non-listed words to allow the message to pass by the filter program undetected.

the non-listed words don't seem entirely random; some of it sounds like chunks of text pulled from message boards (or that's what I thought it might be).