Problems with the scales - what to do?

Options
Hello lovelies :)
My scales keep telling me different weights… Should I trust the highest weight it tells me or the lowest? I'm so confused. Either I didn't lose anything this week or I lost a kilo...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you getting on multiple times a day or just first thing? Additionally, are you standing in the same spot, as moving a few inches up or down can cause it to weigh differently.
  • EricNewark
    EricNewark Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hmm? If you get on scales and they say xx and then you step off, wait a sec and get back on and it's a different weight, two things. Check the surface it's sitting in. Tile floors with grout lines can cause unevenness. Maybe move the scales around. This is also true with carpet, etc.

Battery operated? When was it replaced last?

Nice solid surface? Fresh battery? Replace the scales.
  • YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I suggest picking one scale and sticking to it, otherwise you will go crazy wondering which one to use. This journey is tough enough! :) Put one away and keep it for backup in case the other one dies on you. Even if both scales are the same model they could be calibrated slightly differently and that is enough to throw the numbers. Stay focused and dont let a little box ruin your mojo! You can do it!!!
  • fineandhealty
    fineandhealty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm only weighing myself on one scale. I do it the first thing in the morning. The problem is my family keeps the scale underneath a big towel holder so it won't make a mess by being in the center of the bathroom. I have to drag it out every week. And I try to weigh myself i couple of times standing differently and moving the scale around. Now I'm just confused
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have to get my scale of from under the bathroom sink every time I use it. I set it down, step on it, then step off. Let it go back to zero. Then I weigh myself 3 times and take the average. Also, what everyone else said.. make sure the surface is flat, you're standing on the same spot on the scale, and it has an up to date battery
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere in your room that you can put the scales so that it is in the same place all the time?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I move my scale every day because there's no place to keep it in the bathroom. I step on, see the zeroes, step off. Wait for it to clear. Get three weights, and they're usually the same. If yours are different, make sure your floor is even. If the scale wobbles, try finding a more flat area. Step on the same place on the scale. Some people place masking tape so they know where to put their feet. Keep your batteries fresh.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    How about you go by measurements and stop making yourself crazy over the scale?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I move my scale every day because there's no place to keep it in the bathroom. I step on, see the zeroes, step off. Wait for it to clear. Get three weights, and they're usually the same. If yours are different, make sure your floor is even. If the scale wobbles, try finding a more flat area. Step on the same place on the scale. Some people place masking tape so they know where to put their feet. Keep your batteries fresh.

We put masking tape on the FLOOR to make sure we put the scale in the same spot because our toilet room is TINY and we are different enough in size that we have to move it daily. That alone has made a big difference in consistency. With that said, I accidentally figured out that if I lean just so on our scale, I can get a lower weight to show (usually by only .2 lbs, but still). So I take 3 weights and average them to help mitigate my cheating nature :blush:
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

We put masking tape on the FLOOR to make sure we put the scale in the same spot because our toilet room is TINY and we are different enough in size that we have to move it daily. That alone has made a big difference in consistency. With that said, I accidentally figured out that if I lean just so on our scale, I can get a lower weight to show (usually by only .2 lbs, but still). So I take 3 weights and average them to help mitigate my cheating nature :blush:

A scale isn't that big. Why can you not find somewhere in your whole house to put them so that they stay in the same place all the time?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I'm only weighing myself on one scale. I do it the first thing in the morning. The problem is my family keeps the scale underneath a big towel holder so it won't make a mess by being in the center of the bathroom. I have to drag it out every week. And I try to weigh myself i couple of times standing differently and moving the scale around. Now I'm just confused

Take a marble and set it down before you set down the scale. If the marble rolls away chances are your scale is not on a flat surface. Sounds silly but think about it. Carry on.

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

A scale isn't that big. Why can you not find somewhere in your whole house to put them so that they stay in the same place all the time?

I could. I choose not to, because I have teenage boys. One of whom wakes at odd hours, and likes to try to sneak downstairs to scare me. And I prefer to weigh naked. I shared my solution. Why do you have a problem with that?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Carpeting everywhere else and I don't want to strip down naked in the kitchen.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

I could. I choose not to, because I have teenage boys. One of whom wakes at odd hours, and likes to try to sneak downstairs to scare me. And I prefer to weigh naked. I shared my solution. Why do you have a problem with that?

Sorry, I live by myself and wasn't thinking about having other household members!