But my weight DID come on overnight!

Options

Replies

• svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It would certainly be beneficial to see a doctor again for sure and have some tests run. In looking at your food diary for the past month, you also have lots of nutritional deficiency's, which could lead to weight gain, hair loss, etc. You have many entries for the month that lack breakfast and/or lunch nutrition. "Kind" bars and eating out can lead to some of your symptoms. Sorry to be so direct, but this part seems to be missing in the conversation so far. Many of your dinners look great - if you ate similarly for breakfast and dinner (balanced each meal with lots of veggies, protein, and good carbs), your body would get what it needs. I would be willing to bet that you are nutrient deficient from the entries that you have made. Your dinners look great! Calories in, calories out is true, but you need them to be good calories or your body will respond negatively. Again, sorry if I sound to direct, but this seems to be a big piece of the puzzle as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Altogirl Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm glad to hear you're in a good place now :+1::smile: xx
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Altogirl Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm glad to hear you're in a good place now :+1::smile: xx

Thanks.

• ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    It would certainly be beneficial to see a doctor again for sure and have some tests run. In looking at your food diary for the past month, you also have lots of nutritional deficiency's, which could lead to weight gain, hair loss, etc. You have many entries for the month that lack breakfast and/or lunch nutrition. "Kind" bars and eating out can lead to some of your symptoms. Sorry to be so direct, but this part seems to be missing in the conversation so far. Many of your dinners look great - if you ate similarly for breakfast and dinner (balanced each meal with lots of veggies, protein, and good carbs), your body would get what it needs. I would be willing to bet that you are nutrient deficient from the entries that you have made. Your dinners look great! Calories in, calories out is true, but you need them to be good calories or your body will respond negatively. Again, sorry if I sound to direct, but this seems to be a big piece of the puzzle as well.

That's not a bad idea. I have a tendency to eat lunch and breakfast on the go, as an afterthought. I'm a little addicted to the low sugar kind bars, lol. Reasonable calories, carbs, sugar and fiber... But you're right, they shouldn't take the place of so many meals
  • emmaleewade2013
    Options
    If any of you have never experienced hypothyroidism, then please don't give advice about how it "should" manifest itself. Or what a book or doctor says it may do. In the end everyone's body reacts differently to it. I know firsthand.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Grumpy619 wrote:
    I am NOT a fan of calories in vs. calories out...
    I gained 50 pounds of my excess weight years ago in a 6 months stint on medication - yes, calories in vs. calories out did NOT work then, and doesn't always work now...
    CICO is the only thing that works, because science.
    Your experience was not a violation of CICO.
    That drug changed your CO and you didn't change your CI.

If you eat more than your body needs, you will gain weight. It doesn't matter if that's because your thyroid is wonky or because you eat a large pizza & 2 banana splits every day while sitting on the couch playing video games.

If you eat less than your body needs, you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if that's because you're anorexic/bulemic or because you're running a marathon every day and only eating 2000 calories.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, I'd start with making a list of your symptoms so you can explain to your doctor _exactly_ why you are worried and want tests.

If she still ignores you, find another doctor. See if your insurance can give you a referral.
    Also see if they can get you in to see an endocrinologist. My weight loss doc is an endocrinologist specializing in weight issues, so one of the things he does on the first visit is to order a wide array of blood tests in order to find (or rule out) any metabolic issues.

Actually, given what you've said so far, I'd get another doctor anyway. I expect to be a partner in my health care. I try to inform myself and I expect to have an intelligent conversation with my doctor so I can make informed decisions.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Grumpy619 wrote:
    I gained 50 pounds of my excess weight years ago in a 6 months stint on medication - yes, calories in vs. calories out did NOT work then, and doesn't always work now...

If you eat more than your body needs, you will gain weight. It doesn't matter if that's because your thyroid is wonky or because you eat a large pizza & 2 banana splits every day while sitting on the couch playing video games.

If you eat less than your body needs, you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if that's because you're anorexic/bulemic or because you're running a marathon every day and only eating 2000 calories.

Yeah, um...it's not that simple. We're talking hormonal changes, which is so much more specific than the broad idea of metabolism. In a time like this, it's also about the KIND of food eaten. Do you even know what metabolism is? Not what it does, but what it IS. It is determined by hormones, and different foods affect your hormones. At a time of hormone imbalance, one may need to adjust the foods in their diet, NOT just how much they eat.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    The OP sounds exactly like the way my body works. I have five different metabolic diseases, including some very severe/rare issues that developed after I had a brain aneurysm and several brain surgeries which damaged my pituitary gland.

Please see an endocrinologist for an evaluation. I would be shocked if you don't have something metabolic going on. Since your PCP is not helpful, trying checking with your GYN if you need a recommendation or referral.

With treatment (thyroid meds, other oral meds, daily injections) I AM able to lose weight and maintain, but it takes extraordinary effort. I need to eat right on target and get significant exercise just about every day or I will gain.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have you had any thyroid testing since you were younger? Your hypothyroid state then may have been a result of your food restriction/malnutrition, a condition known as central hypothyroidism. Your TSH would be low as well as your T4, as your current tests seem to indicate here. Usually central hypothyroidism is transient and resolves when the malnutrition resolves but not in all cases. This is NOT the same as Hashimoto's disease; it's not autoimmune in nature.

I am not an endocrinologist (merely a lowly internist). Seeing an endo is definitely the best idea. The hypothalamic-pituitary axis is a complicated system and just seeing a few results tells very little about the big picture. It takes a lot of detective work to make a proper diagnosis.

Best of luck to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Most doctors only test the TSH. Very few will test the full thyroid panels because of insurance issues and payment. I know first hand because of having to drive 3 hours to New Orleans to get a doctor willing to order all of them and pay out of pocket for both doctor and labs. $1500 later I know I have thyroid problems and am still waiting for the endocrinologist appointment.

To get that endocrinologist appointment I had to take the records from the doctor at Tulane to the doctor up here for a referral. None of the endocrinologists up here will see you without a referral.

So, its very possible she could have Hashimoto's and a very normal range TSH.

Good luck Op. It's hard to find a good doctor.

For Hashimotos to affect noticeably her metabolism, she should have to be at the point where not only her TSH but also her T4 would be completely out off limits, she would have no energy to walk up the stairs and she would be falling asleep while in the middle of normal activities. Hashimoto's can be diagnosed from antibodies years before her TSH or T4 are affected, but there will be no significant change to the metabolism at this point. Until it gets really really bad it can perhaps affect a bit weight, mostly by water retention, but cannot add 60 lbs!

Actually, not always.

My TSH 1.64

My TPOab 1153

My T4, T3 both in range, although barely. can't say about weight for me, (But everyone is different.) currently because well, half of what I personally eat isn't staying down, I really wish that would stop. And I severely restrict calories to combat weight.
    So if you just ran that one test and discounted the swelling in my throat, you'd really think everything was fine.

OP, I really hope you can get it sorted out. A good doctor seems to be the biggest hurdle to leap. If you are anywhere in Louisiana, Tulane Medical in New Orleans has a fabulous team of Doctors. I just wish my insurance would cover them and they were closer.

I admit I am a bit confused by what you mean. You can have Hashimoto's and still not be hypothryoid yet (or ever). You have the antibodies, not the elevated TSH right now. Which is how Hashimoto's starts (and can stay for decades) for everyone. What is weird about it? I do nto think any dr would tell you you can blame weight issues on this, because you are not hypothyroid.

• LKArgh
    Options
    Grumpy619 wrote:

Yeah, um...it's not that simple. We're talking hormonal changes, which is so much more specific than the broad idea of metabolism. In a time like this, it's also about the KIND of food eaten. Do you even know what metabolism is? Not what it does, but what it IS. It is determined by hormones, and different foods affect your hormones. At a time of hormone imbalance, one may need to adjust the foods in their diet, NOT just how much they eat.

Uhm, no. A hormonal imbalance can cause you to lose energy and motivation to do much, which means you will not be burning many calories, so unless you restrict your intake a lot, or solve the medical problem, you will be gaining weight. It can affect where fat is stored at the body. It can cause water retention, like 10 or 10 or 30 lbs, not the 1-2 lbs normal fluctuation. What hormones cannot do is defy the laws of thermodynamics and have a person fuel normal activities, gain 100 lbs and achieve that on 500 calories per day.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I admit I am a bit confused by what you mean. You can have Hashimoto's and still not be hypothryoid yet (or ever). You have the antibodies, not the elevated TSH right now. Which is how Hashimoto's starts (and can stay for decades) for everyone. What is weird about it? I do nto think any dr would tell you you can blame weight issues on this, because you are not hypothyroid.

[/quote]

Contrary to popular belief, one's TSH does not necessarily have to be elevated to indicate hypothyroidism. As I stated earlier, a low TSH in combination with a low T4 can be indicative of central hypothyroidism.

Endocrinologist. Not internet!

• Nikeolie
    Nikeolie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can actually go to pretty much any lab and request a blood draw without a doctors order. Get a Tsh with reflux to t4. This is the standard thyroid lab to test. You shouldn't request expensive labs prior to this simple relatively cheap lab. When was your last set of labs done? Did they come back normal? I work in a doctor's office, and this is a pretty standard physical lab along with hct, cmp, and lipid panel. Maybe you're requesting labs too soon ( if no abnormalities, it's generally yearly) or you have a very lazy doctor. Good luck :)
  • Nikeolie
    Nikeolie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fyi, Tsh with reflux to t4 means if Tsh is abnormal it triggers the t4 test to be tested.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    People, seriously. Current medical consensus is that hypothyroidism in itself does not cause weight gain. It's overeating that causes weight gain. There are plenty of people who are hypo who are at normal weights. You may gain more easily because you don't have the same level of metabolism as an average person, but the disease in itself does not cause the gain... what you put in your face does.

60lbs in a year is not "overnight". Me, I gain 20lbs in 2 days just before my period. Over the last 3 weeks, I'm up 35lbs for no damn reason.

Generally speaking, 200+oz of water is too much for anyone that weighs less than 400lbs. I mean, if you feel like that's great for you, I'd be wondering why. It's not good to be urinating clear, and if you are drinking that much water, you could be causing vitamin imbalances simply because you're continuously flushing your system. I drink a gallon of water a day plus other incidentals, but I weigh 400lbs+. The general rule of thumb is shoot for a water goal of ounces that are 1/2 your body weight. So if you weight 200lbs, you shoot for 100oz of water. Pale pee all the way.

It's always calories in calories out. If you associate your gains with medical conditions, it's because the conditions have changed your calories in need, not because CICO doesn't work. That's why it's very important to have regular visits with professionals and trainers when you have a situation that is outside the average experience.

People on this website worry me immensely. When my anorexia shut down my thyroid, and I started struggling with bingeing 1-2 times a week and anorexic the other days, I gained almost 200lbs in a year. 60lbs sounds like the kind of weight gain that can come with changes that happen with age.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Grumpy619 wrote:

What? There are only certain conditions where you have to adjust what you eat, and they are PCOS and diabetes. Even with diabetes, it's about timing and combination.

It's still, even with those conditions, about calories. You still have to count calories.

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Most doctors only test the TSH. Very few will test the full thyroid panels because of insurance issues and payment. I know first hand because of having to drive 3 hours to New Orleans to get a doctor willing to order all of them and pay out of pocket for both doctor and labs. $1500 later I know I have thyroid problems and am still waiting for the endocrinologist appointment.

To get that endocrinologist appointment I had to take the records from the doctor at Tulane to the doctor up here for a referral. None of the endocrinologists up here will see you without a referral.

So, its very possible she could have Hashimoto's and a very normal range TSH.

Good luck Op. It's hard to find a good doctor.

For Hashimotos to affect noticeably her metabolism, she should have to be at the point where not only her TSH but also her T4 would be completely out off limits, she would have no energy to walk up the stairs and she would be falling asleep while in the middle of normal activities. Hashimoto's can be diagnosed from antibodies years before her TSH or T4 are affected, but there will be no significant change to the metabolism at this point. Until it gets really really bad it can perhaps affect a bit weight, mostly by water retention, but cannot add 60 lbs!

Actually, not always.

My TSH 1.64

My TPOab 1153

My T4, T3 both in range, although barely. can't say about weight for me, (But everyone is different.) currently because well, half of what I personally eat isn't staying down, I really wish that would stop. And I severely restrict calories to combat weight.
    So if you just ran that one test and discounted the swelling in my throat, you'd really think everything was fine.

OP, I really hope you can get it sorted out. A good doctor seems to be the biggest hurdle to leap. If you are anywhere in Louisiana, Tulane Medical in New Orleans has a fabulous team of Doctors. I just wish my insurance would cover them and they were closer.

currently not overweight, but have lost more than half my hair among a whole host of other hypothyroid symptoms. so just numbers alone do not complete the whole picture.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    JiveDoc wrote: »

[/quote]

Contrary to popular belief, one's TSH does not necessarily have to be elevated to indicate hypothyroidism. As I stated earlier, a low TSH in combination with a low T4 can be indicative of central hypothyroidism.

[/quote]

Uhm, you need to have a low T4 to have hypothyroidism. You cannot, by definition, be hypothyroid and not have a low T4. Elevated TSH preceeds hypothyroidism, allowing early diagnosis. Per my endocrinologist, not the internet. If your hormones are fine, you cannot be hypothyroid!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    That hair loss thing is alarming. Does your doctor know about that and still refuse to test your thyroid?

No - to be honest, I did not go into specifics as to why I thought my thyroid may be off. The reason I suspected it was because a loooong time ago when I was a very active dancer/cheerleader in high school, I tested having a low thyroid. I was underweight regardless, due to extreme activity, and the doctor opted to do nothing about it.
    -
    @britishbroccoli - I will double check the measurements I used. Both the pork chops and wings are oven roasted without adding oil, cooked until crispy - just the way I like my meat. The added oil is always in the veggies :)

You tested with an underactive thyroid and the doctor left you untreated?

I... wut?

It was borderline low, iirc - bear with me, because it was like 12 years ago. But it stood out in my mind like a sore thumb, because I was always worried as to what it could mean.

Oh, it wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the stupid doctor. Thyroid health isn't just about weight and metabolism. Brain and bone health are involved too.

At the very least, the fact that you were borderline then is a piece of the puzzle your current doctor should know, along with the hair loss. Those two pieces of information should be enough to get your thyroid tested.
    JiveDoc wrote: »

[/quote]

Uhm, you need to have a low T4 to have hypothyroidism. You cannot, by definition, be hypothyroid and not have a low T4. Elevated TSH preceeds hypothyroidism, allowing early diagnosis. Per my endocrinologist, not the internet. If your hormones are fine, you cannot be hypothyroid![/quote]

You are getting a simplistic explanation from your doc.

Look up central hypothyroidism.