Extremely Clean eating Celiac that works out and can't stop gaining weight, help!

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Anorexia?
  • Trintrin79
    Options
    No not at all.
  • Trintrin79
    Options
    It is very unhealthy to gain that weight in a short time, my joints hurt, my clothes are tight and I can feel the extra weight.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Trintrin79 wrote: »
    It is very unhealthy to gain that weight in a short time, my joints hurt, my clothes are tight and I can feel the extra weight.

8pounds?

Sounds like you need to be talking to a professional and not a bunch of internet folks
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    110 lbs is not overweight for 5'2", and if you are having joint issues, you need to see a doctor to rule out a medical issue, because 8 lbs isn't going to cause joint issues. If you've just started a new exercise program, a portion of that gain could be water weight.

In any event, if you don't believe it's calorie intake issue, which is the "calories in" portion of the equation, then it's going to be a "calories out" issue. Unless you've had a recently drop in your physical activity, the next logical option is a medical issue - in which case, see a doctor. It sounds like you have a lot of medical issues going on already which is going to impact your CICO balance, so there's not much we can really offer as far as advice. Your doctor is the best person to talk to about this.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am small-boned, 5'2", and weighed between 105 - 110 lbs most of my adult life until I quit smoking. 110 lbs. is perfectly acceptable for you. 102 is way too skinny. Enjoy your 110 pounds. I working on whittling down my 152 lbs! (started at nearly 170).
  • Trintrin79
    Options
    I don't think in overweight, the doctors are concerned because of how quick it came on so I was looking to see if anyone had experienced it and could add some light.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't think in overweight, the doctors are concerned because of how quick it came on so I was looking to see if anyone had experienced it and could add some light.

If your doctors are concerned and aware, why are you not seeking answers from them instead of a bunch of internet people that don't know your history?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are going to get a bunch of answers you aren't going to want to hear here and it will probably only stress you out more.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It is probably largely water retention. For you to have gained 8 lbs of fat in a month, I mean, you'd notice that much extra intake of food. That'd be like 28,000 extra calories OVER maintenance calories including exercise calories eaten back!

But that said, if you haven't had your thyroid tested in 8 years, you might as well request that.

You also mention having digestion issues (leading you to cut back on fruit for now, if I'm reading that right). That could account for some of it as well, if it is being sluggish.

Have you upped your water intake since going off fruit? Fruit has a lot of water so, depending on what you replaced it with, a little more water might help you.

And yes, if you've recently increased the frequency or intensity of your exercise, or switched up your routine (which is challenging because it's new for your muscles), you could be retaining a lot of water from that. I packed on like 4 lbs when I started doing pilates (and it came back off too, it was just water).

I would say to keep up with your doctor visits and get any tests that you might need. Otherwise, don't panic. I doubt you're packing on fat -- where would your body be getting the calories to do that, if you're not eating them? It can't just make it from nothing. So it will right itself, or a test will show something.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Relax, take a deep breath and call your dr for an appointment. Having your food diary with you will also help.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How quickly did it come on? If you are having digestive, allergy-related, or hormonal issues, 8 lbs could be water weight or a digestively backed-up issue. That could literally happen overnight. If it took a few weeks, that's not really "quick" for 8 lbs.

Considering you have all these medical issues, and there are no diary entries to look at, there is really nothing anyone here can tell you. But as several others have said, 110 is a perfectly healthy weight, and 8 extra lbs would not cause joint pain. Personally I would think you need to continue working with your doctors to get your health issues squared away, and you should continue to honestly and accurately log your food and exercise so that you & your doctors have plenty of data to work with.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked. Celiac and thyroid issues go hand in hand.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if your joints hurt it could also be arthritis/lupus which can cause flare ups.which can result in water gain as well.definitely have you dr check for arthritis/lupus(I have RA but not celiacs which sometimes can go hand in hand as well).if you are working out that much and only eating 1000 calories then your body is not getting enough nutrients which could stall your weight loss but that doesnt explain the weight gain.if you only gained 8 lbs in the last 2 years then that is not a lot of weight.are you bloated? do you have edema from the water retention(if you are retaining water)?,do you notice swelling anywhere on your body? if so these are things to bring up to your dr.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Who knows maybe she has a brain cloud.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cosmo_momo wrote: »

If your doctors are concerned and aware, why are you not seeking answers from them instead of a bunch of internet people that don't know your history?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are going to get a bunch of answers you aren't going to want to hear here and it will probably only stress you out more.

Because Internet medical advice is free
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No, I watch weigh and measure everything that goes into my mouth. I actually cut down my sugar intake (which was from my coffee creamer) right before I started gaining. I seriously can only eat veggies, fruit and non processed meats. I am allergic to everything, soy, corn, rice. Everything constipated me and I swell, so I am very strict on what goes into my body. I noticed the increase again once I cut back sugar, upped my protein (added 4oz chicken breast cooked in either coconut oil or olive oil. If I cut back on anything more I will be starving myself. The doctors acurrently are taking care of a bacterial overgrowth in my intestines so again, had to pretty much cut out my fruit. I'm on a low residue/fiber diet. Checking my digestive system now, I feel like a test rat

It sounds like you have several complex medical issues going on. Low residue + gluten free has to make it hard to find ANYTHING to eat. If I were you, I would be asking my doctors and running this by a nutritionist. Part of the answer might be more protein-based calories.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    To pick up the thyroid thing. Both soy and corn reactions can be indicators of thyroid issues. "Stop the Thyroid Madness", site will help you work out if and how many symptoms you have. Most of us with thyroid issues have to be our own advocates. The thyroid is associated with so many of our bodies systems including sugar absorption, problems with it can be autoimmune as well, and multiple autoimmunities can and do co exist.

Another thought, salicylate sensitivity(.com. will give plenty of info) can cause all manor of problems try looking it up. It's harder than thyroid problems to get proper help with. All the so called "good" fruits and veg are most likely high SS as are herbs spices and most beverages. Maize starch is in many prepared meals and is used as a filler binder in medications and vitamin pills, maize/corn starch is high in salicylate. Salicylate problems are hard to define because it is a cumulative problem most of us do not eat exactly the same foods each and every day so the amount of dietary salicylate as opposed to medicinal salicylate fluctuates. Keeping a food diary would not necessarily pick up a single food as a problem because it is present in so many of our foods. The site, Food can make you ill, may also help.

Both thyroid and salicylate problems can/do cause joint pain and muscle as well as 300 other health issues such as chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and more, they can also happen in tandem. Please visit your doctor and keep going till someone takes you seriously if you think you have any of the associated issues.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Is being pregnant a possibility?

Otherwise if you're logging accurately then see your doctor and get your thyroid checked.

• cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is being pregnant a possibility?

Otherwise if you're logging accurately then see your doctor and get your thyroid checked.

Oooooo, this is a good question. I can't tell you how many pregnancy tests I've taken thinking my weight gain was related to that. Turns out I was just fat :# hahaha