Advice needed: Trouble eating

Options
Charice
Charice Posts: 188 Member
OK, I have never had this problem but the last few days I have stepped up my exercise and since I did that I am having trouble eating. I'm not just talking about the extra exercise calories, I mean just eating. I feel fine in every way, have a lot of energy, but I start eating something and my stomach starts feeling really full after only a few bites and like it is going to "reject" anything more I put in it. Not really queasy or anything, I just don't want it. I have no appetite at all and I don't crave anything. I am almost forcing the food down that I am eating. The kicker is that the other day I had a REALLY stressful day, and instead of raiding the fridge like I usually would want to do, I couldn't even think about food so I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical instead. I am still able to and want to drink plenty of water. Like I said, it is only the past few days since I increased my exercise, but it hasn't ever happened to me. Is this normal and will I adjust in a few days? I don't want to keep going really low on cals and pay for it later. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Are you having this problem any time you try to eat or just immediately after exercise? I've had a similar problem before when stressed, but usually once I start eating my body "remembers" that it's hungry and I'm able to eat. You could try to take an antacid also which is what a doctor recommended for me many years ago when I felt nauseous/full all the time and unable to eat.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    No advice for this, but sometimes I wish I had this problem!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to eat some peanut butter or cheese and whole wheat crackers, yogurt, fruit, toast or bowl of cereal. You need to eat to be healthy. Maybe cut back on the exercise a little.
  • Charice
    Options
    It is all the time, all day, not just after I exercise. I have no appetite and I have to remind myself that I need food. I don't feel queasy until I start eating and then i just start to feel full and then get queasy, not really nauseous, but unsettled to where I don't want any more. I don't want to over-react, but I'm not sure if I should force the food down or just let my body dictate for now.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have never had this problem - but I know of people who do or did and the best thing you can do is eat high calorie healthy foods - such as nuts, nut butters on whole wheat bread or crackers, avacado, whole grain pasta with olive oil dressing, etc.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It is all the time, all day, not just after I exercise. I have no appetite and I have to remind myself that I need food. I don't feel queasy until I start eating and then i just start to feel full and then get queasy, not really nauseous, but unsettled to where I don't want any more. I don't want to over-react, but I'm not sure if I should force the food down or just let my body dictate for now.

Do you have any cardiac issues? I would speak to your Doctor. Just to be sure.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Eat little bits a lot of times a day. That way you aren't just shoving big quantities of food in your mouth at once. If you are still having trouble, olive oil nuts or any kind of nut butter will help out a lot.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to what your body is telling you. I'd give it a few more days, and if it still persits I'd contact your doctor there could be an underlying medical issue. Children go through phases where they don't feel like eating, then it passes. Just make sure you get your fluids in! Best wishes!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't feel queasy until I start eating and then i just start to feel full and then get queasy, not really nauseous, but unsettled to where I don't want any more. I don't want to over-react, but I'm not sure if I should force the food down or just let my body dictate for now.

That's exactly how I felt in my early 20s when my doctor told me to take Tagament because it was related to acid reflux (even though I had no heartburn). I would definitely wait a couple of days and see if your body adjusts to the new exercise routine, then if it doesn't go away, see a doctor.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it could be something medical - I'd call a doc too, just to be sure it's not a gallbladder, hernia, reflux, etc. Hope you are ok.
  • lady95
    lady95 Posts: 46
    Options
    Are you taking any medication, or anything like it, that could have significantly altered your body's chemistry?
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I DO lose my appetite when I'm really busy, when I change up or start a new workout routine, or if I'm totally stressed out.. I still try to eat, but I do smaller portions (almost constantly) throughout the day instead - Hang in there and I TOTALLY agree, if you still have the trouble after 4 or 5 days - talk to the docs
  • Charice
    Options
    I haven't been on any meds, or anything like it ;-), that are any different. The only thing that corresponds is jumping up to level 2 on the 30 Day Shred and adding some additional cardio work in (running and elliptical). Like I said, i don't feel sick at all, in fact I feel really good. i appreciate the advice...if it continues, i will call my Dr next week. I will try eating smaller meals more frequently too, that may help. Thanks again everyone!
  • lady95
    lady95 Posts: 46
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Like I've said before on a couple posts, the insides are changing a LOT more than the outsides. Your body is probably going through some adjustments, and you'll probably get your appetite back in no time.

Just on a side note, I'd avoid those "natural herbal tablets/pills". They usually have a cocktail of other chemicals in them that can build up in your joints, muscles, mess with digestion and fat burning that, in worst cases, can send you to the hospital. I'm speaking from experience on this one.