Training for 5ks and 10ks!

Options
I'm patiently waiting for the weather to break so I can get my train on again to run some races! First one next month! I love to run purely for the sport of it... I am my own competition!! I'm not a treadmill runner at all.. All pavement :) anyone else training for some races?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've got a 7k next weekend. My goal is to do it in less than 45 minutes and to be in the top 10 of my age group.
  • karibeargirl
    karibeargirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That's great! Way to set a goal! Good luck to you!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the couch 2 5K program. I also hate the dreadmill but that's what I have to deal with until it gets warm enough for me to go out without freezing to death :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm not training for anything in particular, but I would love to do either the color run or the glo run! I don't have the money to register right now but if it happens to come my way, that's what I'm going to be spending it on!
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first ever race. It is a 5K. However, I am not training. I can't run, but I can walk so my goal is to finish in an hour!
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the couch 2 5K program. I also hate the dreadmill but that's what I have to deal with until it gets warm enough for me to go out without freezing to death :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm not training for anything in particular, but I would love to do either the color run or the glo run! I don't have the money to register right now but if it happens to come my way, that's what I'm going to be spending it on!

I heard that is a great program. I probably need to use that to start out again. Color run would so fun! I have done the electric run.. That one was a blast! Good luck!
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    I am doing my first ever race. It is a 5K. However, I am not training. I can't run, but I can walk so my goal is to finish in an hour!

That is awesome!! Congrats!! Either way.. You are doing it.. And that alone.. Speaks for itself!! Good Luck!!
  • mrssaver
    mrssaver Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Doing my first 5K at the end of March. Waiting for the weather to break to run outside. I have only ran on the treadmill so I need to get outside for a smooth transition. I am excited though.
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    mrssaver wrote: »
    Doing my first 5K at the end of March. Waiting for the weather to break to run outside. I have only ran on the treadmill so I need to get outside for a smooth transition. I am excited though.

Nice!! Good luck to you! My first one is at the end of April.. I finished last years a little under 29 minutes.. My then now 10 year old son runs with me !!
  • donut0420
    donut0420 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting to the end of c2 5K. It's great! I'm doing the colour run at the end of this month as my first real race, then a few fun runs while I start working towards a 10k. It's all treadmill for me at this point though - not because the weather is bad, but I like having my water and towel right there for me. I usually do the Nike 10K training alongside the c2 5K for inclines and speed runs. I love it!
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    donut0420 wrote: »
    I'm just getting to the end of c2 5K. It's great! I'm doing the colour run at the end of this month as my first real race, then a few fun runs while I start working towards a 10k. It's all treadmill for me at this point though - not because the weather is bad, but I like having my water and towel right there for me. I usually do the Nike 10K training alongside the c2 5K for inclines and speed runs. I love it!

Congrats! Treadmill has its perks! I would love to have some kind of contraption for carrying water while I run.. I have seen a few. I love the nike app! Is there a way to sync it with MFP?
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Finished C25k and ran a 5k race last Sunday, moving on to B210K now, week 4, day 1 done. 4.3 miles !!! 42 degrees outside and sunny. My shoes are soaked from all the puddles but it felt great to get outside and run. 5k Bell's Pub run this Thursday and a 10k run in May planned so far.
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    drdwngfan wrote: »
    Finished C25k and ran a 5k race last Sunday, moving on to B210K now, week 4, day 1 done. 4.3 miles !!! 42 degrees outside and sunny. My shoes are soaked from all the puddles but it felt great to get outside and run. 5k Bell's Pub run this Thursday and a 10k run in May planned so far.

That is super!! Way to bring it
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was doing C25K until the weather turned . . . I get so bored and frustrated on the treadmill, and I never have time for it because I would run around the industrial park on my lunches at work.

But! I did my first 5K a week ago, and did 1:06:08. There's another one I'm going to sign up for in September and I want to be at 45 minutes.
  • nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch 2 5k right now and to keep myself motivated I'm signed up for 1 5k a month. Did the first one on Valentine's Day. Goal is to improve my time with each race.
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    The rest got cut off.. Anyways.. Good luck on both! And thanks for sharing.. Huge inspiration
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    I was doing C25K until the weather turned . . . I get so bored and frustrated on the treadmill, and I never have time for it because I would run around the industrial park on my lunches at work.

But! I did my first 5K a week ago, and did 1:06:08. There's another one I'm going to sign up for in September and I want to be at 45 minutes.

That is one of the reasons why I don't run on treadmills.. I get bored very quickly in one spot! Great job on your 5k!! And good luck to you !! You will do great!
  • karibeargirl
    Options
    nala3177 wrote: »
    I'm doing couch 2 5k right now and to keep myself motivated I'm signed up for 1 5k a month. Did the first one on Valentine's Day. Goal is to improve my time with each race.

Awesome!! Sounds like a lot of individuals are successful with that app! And great job onbyiur first one!! First one is the most memorable one!!