If I do the same exercise all the time does it stop becoming useful for losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Pushing yourself harder will increase your endurance, it will not really burn more calories. Unless this means you will also walk a bigger distance.

???
    Say it ain't so.[/quote]

What ain't so? Lost me there.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    LynseyJx wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Pushing yourself harder will increase your endurance, it will not really burn more calories. Unless this means you will also walk a bigger distance.

Oh dear well I don't know what to do then, just find some different types of exercise to do?
    Keep doing what you are doing. Whatever you were burning 1 week or 1 month ago, you are still more or less burning today. It will be a bit lower if you lose say 50 lbs, but then you will not need to be losing that fast either.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

???
    Say it ain't so.

[/quote]

Increasing intensity of workouts burns more calories. Yes?
  • LynseyJx
    LynseyJx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just being impatient, a lb is still losing even if it did take two weeks. And yep I thought you'd burn more calories if you pushed yourself a bit more
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I know when I push myself I burn more calories unless Im crazy and just seeing things lol
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options

???
    Say it ain't so.

Increasing intensity of workouts burns more calories. Yes?[/quote]

I believe the point is that if you walk a mile you will burn X calories, whether you walk it fast or slow.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe I'm just being impatient, a lb is still losing even if it did take two weeks. And yep I thought you'd burn more calories if you pushed yourself a bit more

Not sure you have quite got it...
    Walking for an hour at 2mph will burn "this amount of calories".
    Push yourself a bit more and walk for an hour at 4mph and you will burn twice as many calories because you have gone double the distance.
    It's the distance not the "pushing".

But thinking that exercise is the biggest factor in weight loss is a mistake. It helps but it's not the major player.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I never understood that. If I burn 100 calories on my walk, and walk for a year, will that be less calories burned than 100 for the same type walk?

No it will be mostly the same, unless your weight has changed. There are a number of factors in the "calories in, calories out" equation. People tend to draw false conclusions from their observations.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There several factors that go into your calorie burn, one of them is your heart rate and how you keep it up over an extented period of time. If you walk all the time, your body adjusts and you burn less and less as you get into better cardio vascular shape. I have seen this with my running. I wear a heart rate monitor a fair amout of time, and I have seen as example; a year ago a 5k at 8:00 per mile burned more calories than a 5k at the same pace today. My body has adjusted and if I want to burn more cals, i need to change up my workouts, or work harder for longer. Try adding in some body weight "lifting" for a few weeks, and then jump that up to using some light weights. Plus keep walking, and throw in some running when you can. Good luck, and great job!!

This is incorrect. What you are observing is the inaccuracy of HRM technology, not a change in physiology.

If, via training, your fitness level has improved, then a decrease in heart rate for a given exercise workload DOES NOT mean a decrease in calories burned. The drop in the number on the HRM means the HRM settings are now wrong.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I believe the point is that if you walk a mile you will burn X calories, whether you walk it fast or slow.

That is pretty much how I understood it. I can burn (according to MFP) 120 calories walking one mile at 2 mph; 118 walking at 3 mph; 122 at 4 mph

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you do one exercise all the time does your body start just getting used to that and then it stops helping with weight loss?

If you mean does the body stop burning calories during the exercise - no.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I never understood that. If I burn 100 calories on my walk, and walk for a year, will that be less calories burned than 100 for the same type walk?

NO.

(Assuming you stay the same weight)
  • LynseyJx
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Not sure you have quite got it...
    Walking for an hour at 2mph will burn "this amount of calories".
    Push yourself a bit more and walk for an hour at 4mph and you will burn twice as many calories because you have gone double the distance.
    It's the distance not the "pushing".

But thinking that exercise is the biggest factor in weight loss is a mistake. It helps but it's not the major player.

No I don't think I've quite got the whole weight loss thing because I'm not doing it very successfully at the moment lol. As for the distance thing though, I walked for over 8 miles the other day, I did 7 yesterday, I'm not sure I could fit in any more. I'm trying my best to make diet the more important part and there's only one day I haven't hit my calorie goal. Maybe I should eat less than 1555 calories a day, that's the amount I got on a BMR calculator. Perhaps I should go for 1200 calories a day instead like my fitness pal originally suggested.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    If, via training, your fitness level has improved, then a decrease in heart rate for a given exercise workload DOES NOT mean a decrease in calories burned. The drop in the number on the HRM means the HRM settings are now wrong.

@Azdak‌ is spot on here. As you train, your heart enlarges (specifically, the left ventricle), so it pumps more blood with each heartbeat. Your muscles get more capillaries, so they can extract more oxygen from the blood. Your muscles produce more mitochondria, so they can use more oxygen. The upshot is that you get the same amount of oxygen to the muscles with a much lower heartbeat.

In aerobic activities, calories consumed are proportional to the amount of oxygen consumed. That is correlated with heart rate, but the adaptations that I mentioned mean that the correlation is not perfect. My heart rate bicycling at 15 mph is now about 20 beats lower than it was back in 2008, but that doesn't mean that I am burning less energy (other than due to reduced weight). My resting heart rate has also dropped from over 60 to around 46, but that doesn't mean that my energy requirements at rest have also dropped equally, just that the old ticker doesn't need to pump as often to circulate the required amount of blood.
  • LynseyJx
    Options
    What I've found from this is that I should just keep on doing what I'm doing and I'll still lose calories. I've taken my measurements and I've lost an inch round my waist :) So even though I only lost a lb losing an inch is fine by me :) and my fitness is improving too.