Entrepreneurship advices

Options
needernt
needernt Posts: 675 Member
edited March 2015 in Chit-Chat
Do you think in order to become an independent entrepreneur it is necessary to study finance or accounting at university, or we can learn everything by self-study?

How important is it to have academic education and a certificate?
I'm looking for some advice!
Thanks.

Replies

• needernt
    Options
    bump
  • needernt
    Options
    moijo705 wrote: »
    Its not necessary to have any qualifications unless the business your setting up legally needs you to have qualifications.
    As for accounting and financial side of it, if you do not think you can handle it then you can always pay an accountant to handle things for you.
    But every entrepreneur must have some competence in a variety of subject. Otherwise everyone was an entrepreneur.

• Farm_Girl_Strong
    Farm_Girl_Strong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run our own business. He has experience in the field of work for 13yrs, including a lot of training and courses (no university or college degree needed though). I run the day to day operations and manage the books and finances. I have a 10 month business administration course that helped me learn vry basic accounting. For year end and income tax returns, we use an accountant.

I hope this helps. If you want any further info, you can send me a message. Cheers!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had my own web development business until last year. I did get an AS degree in Multimedia Development. While the education gave me an introduction to the field and some hands on experience with the programs used in the business, the real nuts and bolts of web development I learned on my own (fortunately, developers love to share their knowledge online). However, the degree did give me legitimacy in a sea of wannabes and that helped get me my first jobs.

There is a site called Udemy.com that has many online courses about entrepreneurship. You might find some good guidance there. They often have coupon codes that make the courses very reasonable in price. Look for courses on developing business plans, how to set business goals, etc. rather than the 'get rich quick doing nothing' type courses.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/Business/Entrepreneurship
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I owned my own home based baking business for a few years. While a degree in business management wasn't necessary, it would of helped on the long run if I decided to expand. Also learning how to write a proper business plan will help if you are going to need money. Our town had a public entrepreneur person who would help you get in touch with the people you needed in order to help you get your business up and running. It was a HUGE help. Good luck!!
  • needernt
    Options
    I have my BA in math. But I am wondering wether the essence of entrepreneurship must be learned through education in books and colleges or it is learned by experience and while operating in business.
    I must add that not every business owner can be count as an entrepreneur. Since a bakery owner doesn't need that much knowledge to manage his business.

Generally which subjects do you recommend to study about?
    What is the difference between finance and entrepreneurship as matters to study?
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    I have my BA in math. But I am wondering wether the essence of entrepreneurship must be learned through education in books and colleges or it is learned by experience and while operating in business.
    I must add that not every business owner can be count as an entrepreneur. Since a bakery owner doesn't need that much knowledge to manage his business.

What is the difference between finance and entrepreneurship as matters to study?

I worked as a consultant to entrepreneurs for ten years. First, study marketing. Then if you make any money, study accounting. Do not start your own business without the basics of marketing. It is the number one reason businesses fail imo. Basic math skills are all you need to start.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Its not necessary to have any qualifications unless the business your setting up legally needs you to have qualifications.
    As for accounting and financial side of it, if you do not think you can handle it then you can always pay an accountant to handle things for you.
    But every entrepreneur must have some competence in a variety of subject. Otherwise everyone was an entrepreneur.
    Entrepreneurs are risk takers. They are willing to take a challenge on even if failure may be involved. They are also people who aren't afraid to take chances on new ideas and approaches to business models.
    Everyone specializes in something or has vast knowledge of something, but that doesn't always mean that that person is willing to work for themselves. Some need to have someone to tell them what to do rather than motivate themselves to just do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • needernt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

I worked as a consultant to entrepreneurs for ten years. First, study marketing. Then if you make any money, study accounting. Do not start your own business without the basics of marketing. It is the number one reason businesses fail imo. Basic math skills are all you need to start.

You have brilliant ideas my dear.
    I was in sales team for 6 month in a big company but I'm sure that didn't give me what I need for myself.
    So basically do you think these qualifications like marketing should be learned through books, courses or it's about practical experience in market, although the last one is not available to everyone?
    Moreover these subjects like accounting and finance are separate university courses. How should I know where to start, what to read and how much is enough.
    Some people say for accounting you can hire an accountant go for finance and law.

Indeed I had a failure due to the lack of information in legislation. I was so naive.
  • needernt
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Entrepreneurs are risk takers. They are willing to take a challenge on even if failure may be involved. They are also people who aren't afraid to take chances on new ideas and approaches to business models.
    Everyone specializes in something or has vast knowledge of something, but that doesn't always mean that that person is willing to work for themselves. Some need to have someone to tell them what to do rather than motivate themselves to just do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That is a clear description of my personality indeed.
  • needernt
    Options
    Any book,any course, any advice?
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of business owners with no academic qualifications and they do pretty well because they are very business minded, however, I feel like the more you know about business, the better. Especially with the accounting and tax portion - having that knowledge will save you a lot of expense and that kind of knowledge gives you better control in decision making, etc. I'd suggest a general BCom at least.
  • Temeritas
    Temeritas Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Okay, if you have a bachelor of arts in math then you are setup nice for an MBA. Entrepreneurs are risk takers, but it's a MEASURED risk. You eliminate as many unknown variables as you can, then make the decision based on the value of the information present. I would jump into the best MBA program you could qualify for and then transition to a firm that consults in area you have interest. LEARN that area so that when it comes time to transition, you can make informed decisions. My two cents...
  • kalin73
    Options
    Temeritas wrote: »
    Okay, if you have a bachelor of arts in math then you are setup nice for an MBA. Entrepreneurs are risk takers, but it's a MEASURED risk. You eliminate as many unknown variables as you can, then make the decision based on the value of the information present. I would jump into the best MBA program you could qualify for and then transition to a firm that consults in area you have interest. LEARN that area so that when it comes time to transition, you can make informed decisions. My two cents...

Yeah... Good stuff
  • needernt
    Options
    Temeritas wrote: »

Well MBA is a good advice but I don't have time to sit for it. I'm the type who prefer self-study indeed. That's a good idea, I can get some MBA books and study them.

But do you think just an MBA can provide me with what I need?
    What about finance, accounting, marketing, law, management. They all separate university majors.
  • needernt
    Options
    kalin73 wrote: »
    I know plenty of business owners with no academic qualifications and they do pretty well because they are very business minded, however, I feel like the more you know about business, the better. Especially with the accounting and tax portion - having that knowledge will save you a lot of expense and that kind of knowledge gives you better control in decision making, etc. I'd suggest a general BCom at least.

I actually don't know anything about BCom.
  • kalin73
    Options

what type of business are you thinking of getting into?
  • needernt
    Options

what type of business are you thinking of getting into?

At fist trade in cars but will change if things happen to my wish.
  • kalin73
    Options
    that's a good business...