How to improve running speed?

Options
Is it something that will naturally improve over time or do I need to make a conscious effort to run faster during my jogs in order to increase my speed?

Replies

• christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You need to work on getting faster. If you run three times a week, for example, you should do a long slow run, tempo run, and hills or speed work. However, before doing any faster runs you should have a solid running base.
  • Blessed_Mommy86
    Blessed_Mommy86 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What would be considered a "solid running base"? I'm almost through with c25k but I'm only running about 11.5 mph on average.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What would be considered a "solid running base"? I'm almost through with c25k but I'm only running about 11.5 mph on average.

If you're only just finishing C25K then the majority of your speed gains in the near future are going to come from time on your feet. Speed sessions like those described above aren't going to give you significant gains for now.

I would suggest planning to go onto a Bridge to 10K plan. PErsonally when I went to 10K my 5K time reduced by about 6 minutes.

Where you are, 11.5 minute miles are reasonable.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with Meandering. Work up to a steady 10k, and then worry about "speed work" or intervals.

Miles matter more than anything, at this relatively early stage of fitness.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the general idea to run faster is to do short sets of sprints for one of your training sessions rather than faster for the whole 5k, like 8 x 100m sprints or 8 x 200m sprints with 1 minute inbetween.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Run.... vary speed, length, duration and incline. Slow hill running will strengthen your legs and make you faster.

Crosstrain...build up your muscles for example with body weight exercises or circuit training. Strengthening core and legs will also improve your running speed and stamina.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I think you mean 11 1/2 minutes a mile?

You do need to put a conscious effort in, but as your endurance increases, I think you will naturally start running harder.

When I started jogging, I was at about 5.5 mph. I started to challenge myself by increasing my speed by .3 to .5 mph, for say, a 5 minute period. I continued adding in these 5 minute periods until that became my new average speed.

I'm now at 7mph, which I think is decent enough for my height over longer distances. I do add in short 3-5 minute sprint sets as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

fwiw a solid running base can depend. Generally I'd say 4-5 days per week giving you about 25 miles per week.

When you can consistently run for 60 minutes at a time, speedwork can start to give you some benefit.
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

If you're only just finishing C25K then the majority of your speed gains in the near future are going to come from time on your feet. Speed sessions like those described above aren't going to give you significant gains for now.

I would suggest planning to go onto a Bridge to 10K plan. PErsonally when I went to 10K my 5K time reduced by about 6 minutes.

Where you are, 11.5 minute miles are reasonable.

A solid running base means different things to different people, for example if you're training for a 10k vs an ultra marathon, but if you are new to running I would consider being able to run (outside) for about an hour continuous and with relative ease. As meandering said move into a simple 10k plan, work on being on your feet for over an hour and then you can think about getting faster.

Generally speaking you can't build too much of a base, but when your ready to progress, start throwing hill repeats into your plan once a week. You want to build strength in your legs and lungs before pounding the pavement with actual speed work.
  • Blessed_Mommy86
    Options

Oops. Yes, that's what I meant. My bad.
  • Blessed_Mommy86
    Options

Oops, yes that's what I meant.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You need to work on getting faster. If you run three times a week, for example, you should do a long slow run, tempo run, and hills or speed work. However, before doing any faster runs you should have a solid running base.

This is the answer.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Is it something that will naturally improve over time or do I need to make a conscious effort to run faster during my jogs in order to increase my speed?

Go to a safari park and run through the lions den with bits of raw meat strapped to your body. If that doesn't make you run faster, you'll never have to worry about it again.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I have in 3 years gone from 12 minute miles to 6 minute miles over 5k. It takes time, consistency and patience.

It sounds like you're fairly new to running. I'd focus on gradually building your endurance and strength. Maybe find a 10k to train for a few months from now. You can also add in some cycling or swimming to cross train. After a year when you're running 25-35 miles per week with relative ease start adding track workouts with intervals or hills.

Find a running club near you and join. That'll do it
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    I think the general idea to run faster is to do short sets of sprints for one of your training sessions rather than faster for the whole 5k, like 8 x 100m sprints or 8 x 200m sprints with 1 minute inbetween.

It is, once you gotten to the point of having a good base.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    when starting off the main things that will increase your speed are.

1. More running.
    2. Losing weight.

If you are only just finishing C25k then you probably aren't at the point where tempo or fartlek training is something you need to be worrying about.

Just look at seeing if you can increase the distance while maintaining your 5k speed. Just natural tiredness will normally mean your speed starts to drop off.

Then down the line when you can maintain 5k speed over say 10k you will probably be at a stage where more focused training will be of use.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A solid running base is a minimum of 12 to 24 weeks of as much easy running as you can do. Easy is defined as running at or below a heartrate of 180-age or approximately 75% Max HR.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    At this point, if you're just finishing C25K, just keep on with the program and when you're doing you can start adding more miles/time. Right now, running more is what will help boost your speed. When you can run 45-60 minutes comfortably, speedwork can be beneficial, but right now you'll get faster naturally just be keeping on with the running.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions related to running but the one thing missing here is strength. If we're talking just speed or velocity, that comes largely from improving ground-force contact (GFC) and stride-rate. The stride rate you can work on from running but GFC comes from strength training. If running is your primary goal then you should do some full-body strength training twice per week to improve your lower body strength, Core strength, and upper body strength. Remember that your body works as a complete system so even though your focus is running, your upper body strength is still important as it maintains your running posture and overall balance.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    A lot of good suggestions related to running but the one thing missing here is strength. If we're talking just speed or velocity, that comes largely from improving ground-force contact (GFC) and stride-rate. The stride rate you can work on from running but GFC comes from strength training. If running is your primary goal then you should do some full-body strength training twice per week to improve your lower body strength, Core strength, and upper body strength. Remember that your body works as a complete system so even though your focus is running, your upper body strength is still important as it maintains your running posture and overall balance.

Seconded! I've neglected this in the past, and it really comes back to bite you. Definitely want to do general strength training as well to keep everything strong and in line.