Can you do this alone?

Options
hi used to be in shape my wife is not on track with me or has bought into losing weight. In a way I think I may be pulled down or lulled into complacency. As a family I find it much harder to stay in shape then when I was single.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's good to have someone to be accountable to. If you can afford it, find a personal trainer. Otherwise, find some friends on here who have similar goals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It can make things a bit more complicated, but it absolutely can be done.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's difficult, but it can be done. Try finding some like minded people on here so you can discuss things related to your fitness with and it can be much easier.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely.....It is after all your life.

Like others have said there are different considerations and maybe even concessions to living in a family situation in contrast to a single life. When I started out my husband was not interested in pursuing the same weight loss/exercise goals that interested me and I found out very quickly that it was best to go my own way in any case......

Someone has made the suggestion of getting a PT, maybe that would be useful for you....joining a gym and meeting others with the same goals and of course MFP friends will help be the support system you need.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's lonely, but doable. You can add me for support!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. I decided to start looking after myself when I turned 40, 2 years ago. My husband and I were both drinkers, smokers, junk food eaters whenever possible. When I turned 40 I started jogging, then running, I then started dieting and have lost almost 4 stone. I now go to the gym 5 days a week and lift weights or do circuits (and have an evening job there 2 nights a week) I don't smoke and only have a take away on my 'cheat' meals. I log my calories and think about exercise and diet all the time. I've totally joined 'the lifestyle'.

In contrast, my husband eats what he wants, smokes daily and has no interest at all in exercise or being healthy.

when I started my journey my husband was very supportive and interested but over the last 2 years his interest has diminished. The truth is, he's just not interested in a healthy lifestyle and there's only so many times he can be interested in me discussing an exercise I've done or congratulate me on another pound lost.

I get my inspiration from friends at the gym or from strangers on-line (lol, that sounds so sad!)
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've always been in on it myself.. It helps to have some rewards/punishments for yourself!

For instance I plan out little rewards for myself for every mini-milestone; I'll get small things for myself that I normally wouldn't. A new pair of fancy headphones, bike parts, the like. If I have several bad days in a row I restrict my netflix time or cut myself off from sweet treats :frowning:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by alone. Does that exclude internet, simply no communication wth anyone?

You can definitely do it alone, but its effectiveness will depend on your personality type. A lot of dieters need cheerleaders and constant support, whilst others can handle going it alone.

Use the forums and get friends if you need to share plus support. Just make sure you alter your straegy to deal with the added obstacls you describe its just common sense.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It can be done!
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For me, the support of strangers on the Internet (MFP friends) is far more helpful than IRL support.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Is she doing the cooking at dinner time? Maybe get involved more in meal planning and shopping. Eat smaller portions of what she has been cooking and have some vegetables for breakfast and lunch.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but my husband was previously the cook in iur family, and I had to take over all the cooking. My husband makes amazing food, but there is no way I could control my calories if he was cooking, so now I cook for both of us, and he's losing weight too:)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Only my kids that still live at home even know I'm doing this. They are very fit and already eat nutritious things most of the time and my progress is boring to them - although they are happy for me. I don't discuss it with anyone in real life. These forums help a lot seeing other people going through the same things. I know if I need help or encouragement, I can just ask here.

My food is separate from theirs for the most part. It really only mostly involves lots of baking meats and veggies which is super easy and not a hassle to separate from family meals.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have been going it alone. I am down 92lbs, out of my goal of 100lbs. I will admit, my boyfriend of 5 years has been as supportive as I would expect him to be. He never pressures me into having food and we compromise on our meals (same protein, different sides).

This is a lonely road. I think that is the way it is supposed to be, which may be why many fail. If you have to rely on others to help you through this - you will fail...because without a doubt, there will be times that you will be all on your own.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's good to have someone to be accountable to. If you can afford it, find a personal trainer. Otherwise, find some friends on here who have similar goals.

Oh I am talking about eating habits eating out and so forth