How do you do no sugar, no honey, no artificial sweeteners

Options
Talieowl
Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
Have you ever tried to cut out sugar in all its forms: sugar, honey, maple syrup? I can't use artificial sweeteners because they cause migraines. I'm also avoiding Agave since it can cause spikes in blood sugar (not diabetic but trying to avoid any spikes). I've been relying on fruit but now I have a challenge: what to do with rhubarb without using sugar. I'm willing to experiment with stevia.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    rhubarb should be cooked with fruit. I like Strawberries.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    try strawberry rhubarb pie. it's amazing. and you can make crust that's not fattening.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use stevia... Agave has given me crazy spikes in my glucose levels too. I like Stevia because it doesnt affect glucose levels
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    blackberries make a terrific sweetener for raw chocolate

I have gone no added sugars by way of the Whole 30 challenge. I encourage everyone to try it (you'll be grateful for every single bite you take after challenge is over!)
    http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Stevia is your best bet. Go with Sweet Leaf Stevia. It's a way better quality Stevia and is not just an extract of the plant. :) I put it in everything from oatmeal to plain yogurt and it has no awful aftertaste like some sweetners. :)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I got a friend that doesn't eat sugars. She uses stevia only. It's hard to do with no sugars. I been learning from her about things that I thought didn't have sugar in them that do.
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fruit, although natural, can raise your blood sugar too, some are especially high in sugar. I am a diabetic and I can't even eat watermelon anymore, it spikes my sugar so bad I fell feel like I'm gonna fall asleep where I stand. Also when I check my blogs sugat after eating a meal with fruit my levels are always higher.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Fruit, although natural, can raise your blood sugar too, some are especially high in sugar. I am a diabetic and I can't even eat watermelon anymore, it spikes my sugar so bad I fell feel like I'm gonna fall asleep where I stand. Also when I check my blogs sugat after eating a meal with fruit my levels are always higher.

Exactly...........In the grand scheme of things fructose is no different on the effects of the body than sucrose or any other sugars (ending in -ose).
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would cook it with a fruit like strawberries and just use little stevia
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get irregular heartbeats (arrythmia) after eating artificial sweeteners? I am having trouble with this and wonder if there is anything natural that doesn't have that effect.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I really love stevia. It works quite well in most of my "sweet" concoctions.
  • Mtarbarnes
    Mtarbarnes Posts: 8
    Options
    Stevia is good Ive heard but.... I noticed no one mentioning to team your food with fresh ground cinnamon.
    It adds great flavor and helps level out the blood sugar so less spikes. It's a low amount... 1/4 teaspoon or so.
    It has actually helped me to the point I drink it in my morning and evening coffee. yes that's my only vice... coffee.

Ive also found ground clove to enhance the natural sweetness of things...and pumpkin spice too. I no longer need sugar
    in my coffee when I use cinnamon and cloves or pumpkin spice mix. A lil dab will do you but it works in cooking too.
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll make a crisp with blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and the rhubarb with a little stevia.