Nice tasting substitutes for sugar ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jordie1129
    Options
    Stevia is my favorite sweetener. All of the others I taste terrible in my opinion. But, remember that stevia won't be a dead ringer for sugar, but it is tasty.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sweet n low! It's Saccharine and has NO ill effects or taste. 50 years ago they said it caused cancer in lab rats but only male rats were getting cancer because they have an enzyme in their liver that humans do not have. in 2000 all warning labels were removed from saccharine and all studies since have proven it is absolutely safe!
    I've been using it in my tea and other foods for over 58 years with no ill effects and I use it a LOT!
  • MsOhooly
    MsOhooly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use equal and enjoy it. I think the key to enjoying diet drinks and substitutes for me was weaning into it. I disliked diet coke, Splenda etc. then i discovered diet peach snapple... Oh boy! I suppose it adjusted my palette to accept sugar substitute. Then I found myself enjoying coke zero when prior to I couldn't drink the stuff. Read the label, figured out everything I liked was sweetened with equal and now drink that with my coffee, I do not like stevia at all... But you can get used to anything and eventually get a taste for it imo. The hard part is getting used to it haha. Good luck
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off slowly. I only put half tsp in my coffee now (8 calories) you get used to it. I can't drink flavored creamers now, they are way too sweet. Yuck.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    MsOhooly wrote: »
    I use equal and enjoy it. I think the key to enjoying diet drinks and substitutes for me was weaning into it. I disliked diet coke, Splenda etc. then i discovered diet peach snapple... Oh boy! I suppose it adjusted my palette to accept sugar substitute. Then I found myself enjoying coke zero when prior to I couldn't drink the stuff. Read the label, figured out everything I liked was sweetened with equal and now drink that with my coffee, I do not like stevia at all... But you can get used to anything and eventually get a taste for it imo. The hard part is getting used to it haha. Good luck

I am so much like you!! I recently discovered diet Snapple, and love it. I have always been partial to Equal (aspartame). Tried Stevia, but couldn't tolerate the taste. My other favorite drink is Diet Ginger Ale. I also drink a lot of coffee with milk, as my diary will show! :smile:
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like sweet n' low
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid of artificial sweeteners and I use them regularly but if you want to try something else, try honey or agave syrup. They are sweeter by volume so you need less. Stevia matches up really nicely with cinnamon (both tingle the tongue) so if you want to spice things up a little, add a little cinnamon and Stevia.
  • SunnyLu3
    SunnyLu3 Posts: 41
    Options
    For putting in tea, coffee, and other beverages, I like SweetLeaf Sweet Drops (brand of liquid stevia which has plain stevia and flavors). Vanilla cream and hazelnut are awesome in coffee. I have a lemon flavor that I like in tea or to make lemonade with lemon juice and water. I get it on amazon but they have it in health food stores too. (I think the liquid stevia at the grocery store is not any good and I dislike the powder). It's never going to be sugar. There's a point of maximum sweetness.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I really like stevia. I find that it tastes pretty much the same as sugar without all the calories!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmm, I'm not sure you'll find that. I think the best you can hope for is probably using a sweetener to just bring the sweetness level up to the point where it takes the edge off, but isn't strong enough that you actually taste the sweetener. I've used Stevia in my coffee as a bit of an experiment, but I don't actually like the taste of stevia when I can taste it. As long as it's below the threshold where I notice it, I don't mind.

If it's just a sugar replacement for tea and coffee, you might be better off tapering down your sugar intake gradually, as your taste buds should adjust without things being overly noticeable.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Most subs are chemical and nasty and do worse things to your system than sugar does. You can go the stevia route which, in my opinion, is just gross. It does horrid stuff to my belly, but again, thats me. I think it comes down to finding the Right sugar. Our bodys process different sugars in different ways..white processed sugar being the harshest that drives your blood sugar into orbit, hence the reason its declared as the White Devil. Alternatives like coconut sugar, raw sugar, turbino sugar, date sugar, raw honey, molasses etc. that have not been bleached and stripped of trace minerals and all the things that make it easier for our bodies to process don't cause quite the same spike and so, in theory, will not contribute to excess insulin production which can lead to weight gain/retention. Some of them taste a lot better than white as well so you end up not using as much. Really, though, its all sugar and should be consumed in moderation just like anything else. Just cut back slowly to avoid deprivation stress and eventually you may not even miss it. Also, I personally found that drinking unsweetened herbal teas (especially ones for cleansing/detoxing. Tetleys "Cleanse" is a great one) helped me, personally, to drop it. I used to be a complete sugar junkie, and now I don't crave it at all and I get ill if I have too much.

The first two bolded pieces are just wrong. If you take the time to view a GI scale you'll see honey with a GI above 130, and sucrose(table sugar, or what you call the White Devil), has a rating of little more then 90. Foods with GI's of 55 or lower cause only a small change in blood sugar, but foods with GIs of 70 or higher send glucose levels up quickly.

A healthy way to view sugar is the last bolded part. OP I have not found a sub for sugar so I use it. It is fuel and needed for my activities. If I really want to get a quick hit of glucose a potato does a better job than table sugar. Best of luck.

• Micah_Carter
    Micah_Carter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best way to go about it is to just give up the sugar altogether. Drink water instead of tea, and learn to appreciate the way coffee tastes without sugar. After a couple days you won't miss it if you just quit it cold turkey, and then you'll reap all the benefits of cutting sugar from your diet. Your blood sugar won't spike every time you drink something, which will cut down greatly on sudden insulin responses and thus, food cravings. Give it a try... plenty of people get along just fine without adding sugar to anything they eat or drink.