im workin hard but gainin weight. why ?

Options

Replies

• Lisabobisa13
    Lisabobisa13 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so if this is a repeat, I apologize. When you first start working out you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So on a scale, gaining weight because of exercise may be discouraging. Instead of going by weight on the scale alone, you should also measure your neck, chest and waist. The scale may go up temporarily, but you should see a decrease in the other measurements. It also helps to not only do cardio workouts but to also do weight/strength training.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Thank u every one I have learn some important stuff ugg I gotta get a food scale asap ... sheesh I know 100% I am a prime example of this common mistake
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so if this is a repeat, I apologize. When you first start working out and you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So on a scale, gaining weight because of exercise may be discouraging. Instead of going by weight on the scale alone, you should also measure your neck, chest and waist. The scale may go up temporarily, but you should see a decrease in the other measurements. It also helps to not only do cardio workouts but to also do weight/strength training.

OP would not be gaining muscle eating at a deficit and doing cardio.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No estimating but most of time I just logg what ever im eating by bar code and do the serving size if its not individual packaged food. .. so like cereal I use measuring cup ..but always logg it ... and I eat alot of like frozen health meals like lean pockets adkin dishes and lean cuisine or special k cereal and snack bars.... I actually feel super hungry and deprived .... I recently had a baby and im trying to train my belly back to smaller portions ! But the strugle is real ....

Whenever I eat processed foods like cereal, lean pockets, snack bars they always leave me feeling unsatisfied and hungry. I don't know about the weight thing, but I think more whole foods, less processed would satiate you more. At least it does for me. =)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Thank u every one I have learn some important stuff ugg I gotta get a food scale asap ... sheesh I know 100% I am a prime example of this common mistake

I have this one and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1425790928&sr=1-3&keywords=food+scale
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale, but I will use a measuring cup occasionally. I've been losing weight at my expected rate. So I don't see a food scale as the magical fix for everything. I tend to think that some people are more likely to be forgetting to log some things rather than their estimates being far off.
  • dilts36
    dilts36 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Easy. The harder you go the more your body burns the calories you just ate because it is a better form of energy then fat. So if you keep a lower heart rate on things like a elliptical then your body burns its fat because it is a easy sustainable source of energy.Keep your heart rate at 130 or so. Or just turn on Fat Burn on exercise equipment, If you dont believe me Google "Why does Fat burn on an elliptical keep my heart rate so low" or something like that. Also Exercising a lot builds muscle and muscle weighs more then fat. And dont eat processed food!
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    I want to eat home mafe meals but don't really know how to accurately measure the calories of a cooked meal
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I don't use a scale, but I will use a measuring cup occasionally. I've been losing weight at my expected rate. So I don't see a food scale as the magical fix for everything. I tend to think that some people are more likely to be forgetting to log some things rather than their estimates being far off.

This is horrible advice for someone just learning portion sizes and calorie counting. Accuracy is extremely important.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I want to eat home mafe meals but don't really know how to accurately measure the calories of a cooked meal

MFP has a recipe logger. I will actually weigh everything that makes up my recipe and I'll weigh the pot/pan/whatever that I'm cooking it in. Then I weigh the entire amount at the end and log the servings as however many grams the total meal is, then I weigh my serving.

For example, for chili I might log 200 g ground beef, 100 g tomatoes, and 100 g beans. My total recipe may end up being ~350 g once it's cooked. I'll make my recipe on MFP to come out to 350 servings of chili, then when I weigh my 100 g bowl of chili, I log it as 100 servings of my chili recipe.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ok so would u say its a bad idea to be eating these frozen meals and like salads from mc ds and special k cereal n stuff

It might be a bad idea since you say that you are super hungry. If you add in foods that are higher in protein to your meals and snacks it will help you feel full. Some examples are eggs, chicken, greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, and you can find a lot more with a Google search.

Those foods that you mention are also fairly high in sodium, especially the frozen foods and will cause you to retain water. This won't effect your fat loss but it will cause fluctuations and may also be contributing to the gains that you are seeing.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Well after wachin that video I see I am very much so off on my estiments and measurements ... so I think a scale is a good investment for my self .. because I honestly logg every thing and I just been logging the wrong amont apparently due to measuring wrong so I am going to back track and start over and fresh and also try out the elliptical like the guy said ... .. you all have been a major help tho I was nervous to ask but I am glad I did... thank u all add me as a friend if u would like. . Imma go to sleep now u all have a great night and again thanks a bunch..
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Ok so would u say its a bad idea to be eating these frozen meals and like salads from mc ds and special k cereal n stuff

It might be a bad idea since you say that you are super hungry. If you add in foods that are higher in protein to your meals and snacks it will help you feel full. Some examples are eggs, chicken, greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, and you can find a lot more with a Google search.

Those foods that you mention are also fairly high in sodium, especially the frozen foods and will cause you to retain water. This won't effect your fat loss but it will cause fluctuations and may also be contributing to the gains that you are seeing.

Yes! I always have to add something to my meal if I have to eat a Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice or something. Those things do not fill me up.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Best advice - get out of junk food h*ll and eat some real food. Weigh and measure that food accurately. If you are at a deficit you will lose...and since you don't have a lot to lose expect a 1/2 lb. to a pound a week.
  • truckers_wife
    Options
    Up your fats and protein and back way down on the carbs...just my opinion and what works for me. We are all different. But all those carbs, especially coming from processed foods are not good for you
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Best advice - get out of junk food h*ll and eat some real food. Weigh and measure that food accurately. If you are at a deficit you will lose...and since you don't have a lot to lose expect a 1/2 lb. to a pound a week.

what is fake food?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Up your fats and protein and back way down on the carbs...just my opinion and what works for me. We are all different. But all those carbs, especially coming from processed foods are not good for you

Absolutely nothing wrong with carbs.