Protein Shakes

Options
Are there any protein shakes you recommend - or recipes with a certain protein powder? Im wondering if this would be valuable kind of as a morning meal or before a workout?

Replies

• jttegx
    jttegx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally like Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. They have variety of flavors, mixes very well and most of their flavors taste great. Protein shakes can be had as either a snack or meal replacement depending what kind you get. With the whey protein for me, it keeps me full for about 30min-45min. Your results may vary.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like Ideal Shake. It has a "hunger blocker". About $60 a container (with shipping) if you buy it one at a time but I bought the last one in a bulk of 4 and it came out to $42.50 ish a container (30 servings). I think the Vanilla is the best, chocolate next and I just don't care for the strawberry but I mix and match them as well.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Alexdur85 wrote: »
    It has a "hunger blocker".

lol...do tell
  • Alexdur85
    Options
    http://www.idealshape.com/meal-replacement-shakes/

check it out. Drink the shake.. a glass of water and feel full for 3 hours. and it works. I like it a lot. I prefer something simple like this in the am because I never have time to sit down and eat a meal and I'm just usually not THAT hungry to even want to.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I personally like Shamrock Farms Rockin refuel Muscle Builder Vanilla. Tastes just like a McDonalds vanilla milkshake. It has 30g of protein with only 9g of carbs and 190 calories.
    http://rockinrefuel.com/where-to-buy/
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

check it out. Drink the shake.. a glass of water and feel full for 3 hours. and it works. I like it a lot. I prefer something simple like this in the am because I never have time to sit down and eat a meal and I'm just usually not THAT hungry to even want to.

So you are taking the word for something from a website trying to sell something? That being said if a protein shake makes you skip a meal then that's awesome.

I make a protein shake every morning but it's not as a meal replacement but rather just a protein enhancer.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What is the hunger blocker in it? How exactly does it block hunger?

Well, the website explains it contains Splendesta. And what do you know, it doesn't work. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/3083.htm
  • Lylaathome
    Lylaathome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kimf79 wrote: »
    Are there any protein shakes you recommend - or recipes with a certain protein powder? I'm wondering if this would be valuable kind of as a morning meal or before a workout?
    From several of the Nutrition/Fitness Online e-magazines that I've read, it's a good idea to have some protein about an hour before your work out and then some light recovery protein drink after a hard workout.
    - Pushing protein first thing in the morning also seems to help keep you alert longer, while keeping your blood sugar leveler than having a typical American breakfast of toast, pancakes, muffins, danish, etc.
    - So consider eggs, they are an extremely good source of morning protein, but I do use powders like body fortress super advanced whey protein (because you get 30 grams of protein in one scoop with only 170 calories) in the blender with a variety of frozen fruit for a smoothie.
    - Use it to help before your work out or if it's a meal replacement, just make sure you have the right balance of calories and fiber necessary for you. I usually try to do about 300 calories for breakfast, 100 to 250 for a snack, 500 to 700 for lunch, another 100 to 300 for a snack and about 500 calories for dinner. Depending on my exercise, I try to keep my daily intake between 1200 to 2000 calories. I am in my late 50's and pretty busy trying to restore my health after many years of doctors medical health mismanagement, so I've studied a lot about fitness nutrition to help me. I am feeling better than I have for years, working out weekly and keeping track of my calories at Fitness Pal.
    - I think you made a good inquiry and I hope you will try to find the right answer for you and your personal needs.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you lacking in protein?
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a protien shake is a supplement meaning you're choosing to take that vs let's say eating a piece of chicken. Its a just different sometimes more convienant way to get your protien.

Personally I like the GNC stuff(flame away) as it's the lowest calorie for 24g of protien I've seen. Granted it's only like 50 cals less and it costs more but I found a flavor I like so I roll with it.

In short if you're choosing to use protien powder find a flavor you like and a brand you can afford and remember it's a supplement not a replacement to food intake.
  • Alexdur85
    Options
    Well, for the record. *I* like ideal shake. It works for me. She was asking for recommendations and so I gave mine. I've tried it. I would tell a friend to try it. In fact, I have and they've liked it too.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC lean 25 (vanilla), I add a banana, 1 cup of almond milk, ice and water. (With the extras I add it runs about 330 calories), I do use it as a replacement for breakfast (real food makes me nauseous in the morning, but I have to eat because I'm hypoglycemic). After a long run or long day at the gym I will occasionally make one as a "snack" as well.
  • adook94
    adook94 Posts: 5
    Options
    jttegx wrote: »
    I personally like Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. They have variety of flavors, mixes very well and most of their flavors taste great. Protein shakes can be had as either a snack or meal replacement depending what kind you get. With the whey protein for me, it keeps me full for about 30min-45min. Your results may vary.
    I agree, I think ON is one of the best protein powder you can find, the prince is pretty good too and they have a good variety of flavors,I love chocolate!
  • adook94
    adook94 Posts: 5
    Options
    Are there any protein shakes you recommend - or recipes with a certain protein powder? Im wondering if this would be valuable kind of as a morning meal or before a workout?

In the morning I usually eat 5 eggs white and 30 grams of oats with 100ml of milk. 30 grams of proteins and a bit of carbs.
  • cmiller2742
    cmiller2742 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started with orgain shakes. So far, I enjoy the taste and they keep me feeling full.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC protein shakes. I prefer the swiss chocolate one personally. I find it's a great "breakfast" for me because I don't eat in the morning.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Pro Jym by Jim Stoppani. You can only find it on bodybuilding.com. he has excellent videos on there as well explaining why he doesn't do a 100% blend.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just get the stuff from Costco. LeanFit I think? It tastes okay. I add it to water, almond milk, banana, spinach, and pb2 and drink it first thing in the morning. It keeps me full for 2-3 hours, then I have "second breakfast", which is usually eggs.