Butter vs Margerine

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use a spread margerine without transfats or hydrogenated oils. Plenty of brands on the market these days, much cheaper/lower cal than butter. But its a taste thing, you either like marg or you dont.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    #teambutter!! :) ... but really I'm all for personal preference, and that is mine (YUM). You decide which you prefer and log it like you normally would. The arguments for butter vs. margarine could go on all day.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Even when butter was thought to so much worse for us than margarine, I never bought it. Growing up, my mom always believed margarine was lower in fat and calories, probably because nutritional labels weren't printed on packages then. She was a phenomenal cook, but she refused to cook or even bake with butter, and she ranted about women who made cookies with butter.

Then I got my first apartment after college, and I bought and baked cookies with butter.
    I felt like a caveman discovering fire.

I still eat butter on this diet. I just don't blow through a pound a week anymore.

Next time you bake cookies use 1/2 butter, 1/2 bacon fat. Infintely better
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Even when butter was thought to so much worse for us than margarine, I never bought it. Growing up, my mom always believed margarine was lower in fat and calories, probably because nutritional labels weren't printed on packages then. She was a phenomenal cook, but she refused to cook or even bake with butter, and she ranted about women who made cookies with butter.

Then I got my first apartment after college, and I bought and baked cookies with butter.
    I felt like a caveman discovering fire.

I still eat butter on this diet. I just don't blow through a pound a week anymore.

Next time you bake cookies use 1/2 butter, 1/2 bacon fat. Infintely better
    QFT, especially peanut butter cookies.

• scottiedavies
    Options
    I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.
    Keep researching, but try more scholarly avenues.

• scottiedavies
    Options
    A quick search gave me this

Mann, J., McLean, R., & Te Morenga, L. (2013). Evidence favours an association between saturated fat intake and coronary heart disease. BMJ, 347, f6851.
    Chicago
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    A quick search gave me this

Mann, J., McLean, R., & Te Morenga, L. (2013). Evidence favours an association between saturated fat intake and coronary heart disease. BMJ, 347, f6851.
    Chicago

Which a quick Google search using 'saturated fat myth' will more than adequately counter.

#TeamButter
  • scottiedavies
    Options
    As far as taste goes, I completely agree with you.

For those wanting some evidence, there are alway articles that support either side. Here's another that shows the risk of saturated fats.

Yamagishi, K., Iso, H., Kokubo, Y., Saito, I., Yatsuya, H., Ishihara, J., ... & JPHC Study Group. (2013). Dietary intake of saturated fatty acids and incident stroke and coronary heart disease in Japanese communities: the JPHC Study. European heart journal, 34(16), 1225-1232.
    Chicago

But I could quite as easily find something that says there is nothing wrong with saturated fats.
  • qthrussell
    Options
    Butter for sure. Marg is just plain wrong and tastes vile!
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Butter butter butter! I agree with everyone else that margarine tastes gross. My family in England however somehow bought into the hype years ago that butter is evil and margarine is some kind of miracle food. When I am there I have to pop out and buy packs of butter for my daughter and myself, since I cannot bear the otherwise fantastic toast with... margarine! Just wrong. No.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    friends don't let friends eat margarine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    As far as taste goes, I completely agree with you.

For those wanting some evidence, there are alway articles that support either side. Here's another that shows the risk of saturated fats.

Yamagishi, K., Iso, H., Kokubo, Y., Saito, I., Yatsuya, H., Ishihara, J., ... & JPHC Study Group. (2013). Dietary intake of saturated fatty acids and incident stroke and coronary heart disease in Japanese communities: the JPHC Study. European heart journal, 34(16), 1225-1232.
    Chicago

But I could quite as easily find something that says there is nothing wrong with saturated fats.
    Well, I have to say one of the weakest correlations I've seen. This study was about intraparenchymal haemorrhage and lacunar infarction which the Japanese have a high incident for, twice as much as Americans and consume half the amount of SFA's, which also didn't show up in Japanese women.

All I can say is it might advertise Swiss Milk on the side of a bus going by, but the bus doesn't go to Switzerland.

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You can't even get margarine in the UK. There's a good reason. Butter is the best.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have Becel in my fridge. Considering the bashing it gets here I checked the nutrition label. I recall the proportion of saturated fat to unsaturated is something like 1:8 and there are no trans fats. Butter by comparison is 3/4 saturated fat (no bad trans).

It's not the fat that will take you over, it's the quantity. Measure carefully.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    jnatca- I also eat a buttery spread. Fits my budget/macros. Does not taste like butter, but it does have its own thing going on that I enjoy. Haters gonna hate!
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You can't even get margarine in the UK. There's a good reason. Butter is the best.

Ok, I am confused then. I thought margarine was 'spread'. Like, butter substitutes? Things like I can't believe it's not butter?

Is that not margarine? I've always been a bit confused when people on here have this discussion :neutral_face:
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »

Modern margarines can be made from any of a wide variety of animal or vegetable fats, mixed with skim milk, salt, and emulsifiers.

So, that stuff I'm referring to *is* margarine and what people are discussing here? Or not?

Sorry I'm aware I sound very dim right now :confused: