Fighting Hunger

Options
I am never satisfied with smaller portions. I crave huge meals still. I have lived for years eating one monster meal a day, it's really hard to change this habit... Any advice? I'm getting a bit discouraged

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You can still consume most or all of your calories in one meal if you so choose. Just make sure you're still within a calorie deficit.
    Also, make sure your calorie goal is appropriate. Depending on how much you have to lose, about a pound a week is an appropriate goal (which is why it's recommended). That ensures that you will be eating enough to keep your loss sustainable and to make it easier on you. If your weight loss goal is too aggressive, it could lead to you giving up on it when it becomes frustrating or difficult to sustain.

Here are two super good threads that you can check out! They've helped me quite a bit
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If that is what you are comfortable doing for your eating style there is nothing wrong with it. I don't eat breakfast very often. I prefer to eat the majority of my calories in the evening, and there are days where I'm not really hungry until about 3 in the afternoon.

It helps to bulk up your meals with lower calorie foods if you like to eat large volumes. I love to eat a big omelet with a bunch of toppings, or a big salad. It makes me feel like I'm eating a ton, but i'm really not. Good luck on your journey!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am never satisfied with smaller portions. I crave huge meals still. I have lived for years eating one monster meal a day, it's really hard to change this habit... Any advice? I'm getting a bit discouraged
    Yeah--don't change this habit unless you have a clear and good reason to. To lose/gain weight, all you need is to eat less/more than your maintenance calories. If there is a reason to change, take baby steps. Maybe eat 90% of your daily calories in one meal and then 20% in each of the two meals. You can "bulk up" those smaller meals by adding vegetables.
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great thread links!! And the omelette idea is perfect. My issue is really I'm used of eating to the point my stomach fully feels expanded and it's frustrating to stop binge eating to stay with in calories, but I'm feeling a bit better about this!
  • darrylt109
    darrylt109 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. I still love eating big portions but I can keep it under control now. After being more physically active, I noticed that when I eat a certain things or overeat, my performance drops drastically. So in an attempt to perform at my best, I started eating healthier and controlled my portions. I still splurge with a 32oz steak every so often.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Great thread links!! And the omelette idea is perfect. My issue is really I'm used of eating to the point my stomach fully feels expanded and it's frustrating to stop binge eating to stay with in calories, but I'm feeling a bit better about this!

Definitely take it slow! You can't expect yourself to change 100% overnight. Work on small changes and small decreases in calorie levels instead of huge changes. That was something that I wish I would have told myself when I first started trying to lose weight.
  • rsvilchez
    rsvilchez Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i started the same. i just have 3 big meals, changing to type of more salad during the meal help me out a lot
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    darrylt109 wrote: »
    I used to do the same thing. I still love eating big portions but I can keep it under control now. After being more physically active, I noticed that when I eat a certain things or overeat, my performance drops drastically. So in an attempt to perform at my best, I started eating healthier and controlled my portions. I still splurge with a 32oz steak every so often.

This is so true. I had a really crappy last couple of days (its been my daughters birthday) family in town, lots of cake and junk to eat. I usually let myself eat in moderation all the stuff everyone else is. But I felt like total Shi+ yesterday after eating all that junk. Time to clean up the diet. It is really amazing how after 2 months of eating healthier choices, how sugar and junk can drag your body down. I couldn't even run because my body just didnt want to. Do not want to feel like that again!

It took me a while to re-train my stomach and mind that I didnt need as much in my stomach to feel satisfied. I completely understand eating until it hurts, and for some reason there is comfort there. But, I have really tried listening to my body, and you will be able to do this too! I suggest eating higher protein and fats (still do need carbs!) but, those seem to keep me satisfied longer! Good luck!
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head, eating till I'm going to explode is comforting.. That's the aspect I need to change. I hate how much I think and lust for food. I never noticed how much I do this until I began to count every calorie. I think one meal at a time is my strategy for now. Then focus on the day then week. I just want it to be a lifestyle change. Unfortunately, that's also a mental battle!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Keep eating one 'monster' meal. Just make sure you're in a calorie deficit