Bringing your food to family reunion?

Options
mikkielias
mikkielias Posts: 21
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, so tomorrow I have a family reunion, it is supposed to be a lunch and I´m not sure on what they going to serve. But it´s provably going to be pasta, some kind of ravioli with a walnut sauce or a tomato one. I have been very careful with my diet and hitting my macros. I already planed my day for tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it. I don't know if I should just skip this reunion (because my family doesn't support me on my goals, they always make fun of me and my diet and think that I only eat salads (*kitten* please! I almost eat 230 grams of carbs a day!) or should I just pack my lunch and bring it with me?
Thoughts on this?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about missing it? Do you want to go? Will there be a huge fallout if you don't go? I would either go and eat some of what's there and just chalk it up and move on...or I wouldn't go at all...if they are that jerk like towards you.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would try to fit in your macros and goals around what they have there. I know you really wanna stick with your plan and your food, maybe you could bring a bag with some of your food just in case you can't salvage an entire meal that's suitable from the reunion food. But I would at least try...just eat small portions of you're not sure how to account for the calories. Maybe adjust your food later and eat less of it if that's your concern.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP losing weight should not be this difficult, and it definitely shouldn't interfere with family time.
    No, don't bring your own different food to a lunch you have been invited to...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes being around family is not in one's best interest. Stay away from this reunion and find something you like to do instead.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    choose wisely, one day wont really matter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mikkielias wrote: »
    Hey, so tomorrow I have a family reunion, it is supposed to be a lunch and I´m not sure on what they going to serve. But it´s provably going to be pasta, some kind of ravioli with a walnut sauce or a tomato one. I have been very careful with my diet and hitting my macros. I already planed my day for tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it. I don't know if I should just skip this reunion (because my family doesn't support me on my goals, they always make fun of me and my diet and think that I only eat salads (*kitten* please! I almost eat 230 grams of carbs a day!) or should I just pack my lunch and bring it with me?
    Thoughts on this?

If you eat 230g of carbs a day, I'm surprised you can't just work pasta for lunch into your macros? That being said it depends on whether you're really bothered about attending the reunion in the first place?

• taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you competing?
    Do you get money for dieting?
    Can you not fit the food into your calories/macros?

I would be weary about your relationship with food.
    A family event is amazing, cherish it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thoughts on this?

If you eat 230g of carbs a day, I'm surprised you can't just work pasta for lunch into your macros? That being said it depends on whether you're really bothered about attending the reunion in the first place?

Exactly, I'd have thought some pasta and tomato sauce would be perfect for hitting that carb target.

If that's you in your profile pic, I'm not sure why you're worried about 1 day. Unless you really don't want to see your family, in which case don't go.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go because relatives can be annoying, make the decision because of that. If it's because you are worried about fitting it in, well it might be time to reevaluate what and why you are doing this.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    taraskylit wrote: »

That totally depends on the family...

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Go and don't worry about it.
  • mikkielias
    Options
    Thoughts on this?

because I have this family lunch and then Im going to eat some frozen yogurt with friends and have a dinner with my boyfriend and already planed on having pasta there because we are going to an italian restaurant.
  • mikkielias
    Options
    Thoughts on this?

Exactly, I'd have thought some pasta and tomato sauce would be perfect for hitting that carb target.

If that's you in your profile pic, I'm not sure why you're worried about 1 day. Unless you really don't want to see your family, in which case don't go.

well maybe its also because of that, my family kind of leaves me a side in those reunions, they don't even speak to me and when they serve lunch and the food plates even if I eat what they are all eating they all start making jokes like: can't believe you are eating carbs, or: are you going to puke that later? or ¨miracle just happened¨Ï bet because of this food you won't eat any more during the day¨ those kind of jokes hurt me
  • mikkielias
    Options
    taraskylit wrote: »
    Are you competing?
    Do you get money for dieting?
    Can you not fit the food into your calories/macros?

I would be weary about your relationship with food.

well actually Im competing on March, 28 hehe..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on this?

well maybe its also because of that, my family kind of leaves me a side in those reunions, they don't even speak to me and when they serve lunch and the food plates even if I eat what they are all eating they all start making jokes like: can't believe you are eating carbs, or: are you going to puke that later? or ¨miracle just happened¨Ï bet because of this food you won't eat any more during the day¨ those kind of jokes hurt me

Presumably there is more to the story than you're letting on if your family hint at you having disordered eating habits?
  • mikkielias
    Options

Presumably there is more to the story than you're letting on if your family hint at you having disordered eating habits?
    [/quote]

not really, I just like eating healthy, they don't get it maybe because none of them (except for my mother) eats like I do. They even make a family drama if I prefer to skip dessert. Even my cousin who is a nutritionist starts to tell me I shouldn't be that dedicated with my diet <- are you serious?¡
    - I don't get it in general why people worry much about what others rather eat or not.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options

not really, I just like eating healthy, they don't get it maybe because none of them (except for my mother) eats like I do. They even make a family drama if I prefer to skip dessert. Even my cousin who is a nutritionist starts to tell me I shouldn't be that dedicated with my diet <- are you serious?¡
    - I don't get it in general why people worry much about what others rather eat or not.[/quote]

There's eating healthy and there's eating too little. Are you? If your cousin is telling you that, and she's a nutritionist, don't you think there might be a grain of reality in it? Disordered eating isn't just about eating too much or too little, it can be that you have obsessive habits and your family have picked up on it and are jovially, in their opinion, trying to get you to loosen up. Perhaps you should chat to a dietitian or your doctor about this?
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know your situation so feel free to ignore this comment.

But, from the combination of you not wanting to eat the food at the reunion as it would throw you off for one day, the fact your family makes comments about how you don't eat (or would puke...??), and that a nutritionist has said you shouldn't be as 'dedicated' as you are with your diet, I would say it does sound like you could be having some disordered ideas about eating.

I strongly recommend considering whether this could be the case. It is not a good road to be going down and one that you can get help with.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on this?

Did you guys read what she wrote? She eats a ton of carbs and her family is like "omg you're eating carbs?" She said they don't really talk to her except to make jokes I guess. The nutritionist probably believes in eating "balanced" diets and probably doesn't track calories so she doesn't get it. Not all nutritionists actually know the info that people on here do.

You don't sound like you have an eating problem to me. It sounds like your family is full of jerks. I say don't go if it's not too late to say so. Maybe they will miss you and treat you better if you hang around less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a special occasion...these kind of things will always exist so it's best to learn how to deal with them...nobody got fat because of an occasion.