Binge eating once a week

Options
Do well all week eating 1400 calories day workout 3 -4 times week worked for ages now binging

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    How much time do you normally spend thinking about food in an average day?
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I don't 'binge' I have a cheat day every Sunday. I know how to eat smarter, so I make better decisions towards food, but I eat food that I know will go over my calories for one day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do well all week eating 1400 calories day workout 3 -4 times week worked for ages now binging

What are your stats? Do you eat back exercise cals?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like there is a question here, so I'll ask one.

What is "binging" to you, OP? Are you going over goal by 500 cals., 1000 cals., 2000 cals.? If you take that overage and split it out by 7, how much over are you on your average daily goal?

Your binge may not be as destructive as someone else's binge.
  • KAS041479
    KAS041479 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please consider reading the book Master Your Metabolism. It was VERY hard for me to let myself eat more, but by eating less and working out so hard for weeks, I was slowing my metabolism and then binging on Friday nights when I couldn't keep it up. So when I ate too little and worked out too hard, my body plateaued b/c my metabolism responded by slowing down, and I got frustrated and cranky and low energy--and when I over-ate, my body clung to every possible nutrient and stored it as fat, thinking I was starving. Too many months of that, I could have really damaged my thyroid.

Here's my advice, but keep in mind I am still new to this journey and you should gut-check everything I say and probably talk to a professional, okay? Here goes:

Try to eat every 4 hours, keep your metabolism at a steady burn. Aim for each meal to consist of 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs so they can work together to make you feel sated. Eat the most calories at the start of your day. Try to avoid simple carbs like white breads and pastas at night, and make yourself get 8 hours of sleep a night (so you can make the human growth hormone in deep sleep--if you don't, your body will want to renew and repair itself by secreting ghrelin [the hunger hormone] the next day and the likelihood of binging as a result of that hormone is high).

Switch up your calorie intake every day, and switch up your workouts so your metabolism doesn't get into a routine and slow down to compensate. You know you need a deficit of 3,500 calories over the course of a week to lose one pound. I don't know your weight, height, metabolic type, or BMI, but let's say to do that, you need to net 1200 calories a day. So Monday, eat 1400 calories and do 200 calories worth of exercise. Tuesday, eat 1550 calories and do 350 calories worth of exercise. Wednesday, eat 1200 calories and let your muscles rest (I also had a problem with not working out every day, felt like I was slacking, but if you don't rest, your body doesn't experience the valleys that make the peaks of working out help you shed pounds. Rest is critical. You will actually undo hard work without real rest.) Thursday, eat 1600 calories and work off 400 with intense exercise using cardio and weights. Friday, eat 1400 calories and work off 200. Saturday, eat 1700 calories and work off 500 (for me, this is a great day to walk around shopping, do chores, clean, go for a run). Sunday, eat 1200 calories and rest. You've now netted 1200 calories each day, but you've eaten more some days and less others, and you've worked out harder some days and not at all others.

I use a Polar Heart Rate monitor when I workout b/c it calculates the calories I burn based on my heart beats and my age, weight, length of time, etc. I've found it to be way more accurate than my FitBit, which I love, but use more as a pedometer and overall health guide. If you're serious about working out, I recommend a heart rate monitor--it's a watch that comes with a plastic and cloth band you snap around under your breasts, and that tracks your heart rate. Once I was able to calculate my optimal fat-burning zone (155bpm for me), I was able to easily work off 400+ calories in an hour, if I wanted.

Your workouts also shouldn't be the same routine. Make your muscles confused. Like, try Yoga one day, Tae Bo the next, Plyometrics the next, rest, then Running, then the next day do Weights, then the next day Dance, then rest. Use different muscle groups (which not only surprises the body but helps avoid injury) and eat different amounts of foods--keep your metabolism guessing, but never afraid you won't have enough nutrients to thrive. I am not a fan of gyms, really, so I get 5 or 6 DVDs for free from my library every three weeks and that's how I can do different activities and switch it up.

I can't recommend the book Master Your Metabolism enough. There are parts of it that go a little nuts about organic food, avoiding plastics, and that kind of earthy-crunchy thing (I'm vegan so I don't mind, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay). But the chapter on the biochemical results of our hormones--why your body gets hungry, how it feels sated, when it feels safe to lose weight, and what you can do to sabotage that (like letting your intake get so restricted that you are compelled to binge)--that chapter on hormones is key. I got my copy out of the library, too.

Now, I'm gonna say one more thing, and please do not be offended. If this is your first time binging ever, it's probably b/c of your diet and exercise leaving your body feeling unfulfilled. However, if you have a history of it (if you've done it once a week or more for more than three months), if you're compelled not by hunger but by boredom, anger, depression, stress, and you binge to the point where it hurts and you feel like you don't have any self-control, you could have an eating disorder. BED is not the same as bulimia or anorexia. There's no shame in having an eating disorder and if you need to get some therapy, you do what's best for you and we'll be here to help and support you through it! http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/#.VPxaYvnF-24

That's all I'm gonna say about that. I just want to close with lots of encouragement--don't lose heart. It takes a long time to figure out what works best for our individual bodies and lives. The things I mentioned above have worked for me, but may not for you. Give it a whirl, and let us know how it goes. All the best to you!!
  • debbieedson
    debbieedson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 5 109 lb's age 31 I am binging on once a week has carnt control feeling and will eat junk food like sweets takeout that day then feel crap about it I try eat cheat meal turns in to binge thanks for replys
  • debbieedson
    Options
    KAS041479 wrote: »
    Please consider reading the book Master Your Metabolism. It was VERY hard for me to let myself eat more, but by eating less and working out so hard for weeks, I was slowing my metabolism and then binging on Friday nights when I couldn't keep it up. So when I ate too little and worked out too hard, my body plateaued b/c my metabolism responded by slowing down, and I got frustrated and cranky and low energy--and when I over-ate, my body clung to every possible nutrient and stored it as fat, thinking I was starving. Too many months of that, I could have really damaged my thyroid.

Here's my advice, but keep in mind I am still new to this journey and you should gut-check everything I say and probably talk to a professional, okay? Here goes:

Try to eat every 4 hours, keep your metabolism at a steady burn. Aim for each meal to consist of 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs so they can work together to make you feel sated. Eat the most calories at the start of your day. Try to avoid simple carbs like white breads and pastas at night, and make yourself get 8 hours of sleep a night (so you can make the human growth hormone in deep sleep--if you don't, your body will want to renew and repair itself by secreting ghrelin [the hunger hormone] the next day and the likelihood of binging as a result of that hormone is high).

Switch up your calorie intake every day, and switch up your workouts so your metabolism doesn't get into a routine and slow down to compensate. You know you need a deficit of 3,500 calories over the course of a week to lose one pound. I don't know your weight, height, metabolic type, or BMI, but let's say to do that, you need to net 1200 calories a day. So Monday, eat 1400 calories and do 200 calories worth of exercise. Tuesday, eat 1550 calories and do 350 calories worth of exercise. Wednesday, eat 1200 calories and let your muscles rest (I also had a problem with not working out every day, felt like I was slacking, but if you don't rest, your body doesn't experience the valleys that make the peaks of working out help you shed pounds. Rest is critical. You will actually undo hard work without real rest.) Thursday, eat 1600 calories and work off 400 with intense exercise using cardio and weights. Friday, eat 1400 calories and work off 200. Saturday, eat 1700 calories and work off 500 (for me, this is a great day to walk around shopping, do chores, clean, go for a run). Sunday, eat 1200 calories and rest. You've now netted 1200 calories each day, but you've eaten more some days and less others, and you've worked out harder some days and not at all others.

I use a Polar Heart Rate monitor when I workout b/c it calculates the calories I burn based on my heart beats and my age, weight, length of time, etc. I've found it to be way more accurate than my FitBit, which I love, but use more as a pedometer and overall health guide. If you're serious about working out, I recommend a heart rate monitor--it's a watch that comes with a plastic and cloth band you snap around under your breasts, and that tracks your heart rate. Once I was able to calculate my optimal fat-burning zone (155bpm for me), I was able to easily work off 400+ calories in an hour, if I wanted.

Your workouts also shouldn't be the same routine. Make your muscles confused. Like, try Yoga one day, Tae Bo the next, Plyometrics the next, rest, then Running, then the next day do Weights, then the next day Dance, then rest. Use different muscle groups (which not only surprises the body but helps avoid injury) and eat different amounts of foods--keep your metabolism guessing, but never afraid you won't have enough nutrients to thrive. I am not a fan of gyms, really, so I get 5 or 6 DVDs for free from my library every three weeks and that's how I can do different activities and switch it up.

I can't recommend the book Master Your Metabolism enough. There are parts of it that go a little nuts about organic food, avoiding plastics, and that kind of earthy-crunchy thing (I'm vegan so I don't mind, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay). But the chapter on the biochemical results of our hormones--why your body gets hungry, how it feels sated, when it feels safe to lose weight, and what you can do to sabotage that (like letting your intake get so restricted that you are compelled to binge)--that chapter on hormones is key. I got my copy out of the library, too.

Now, I'm gonna say one more thing, and please do not be offended. If this is your first time binging ever, it's probably b/c of your diet and exercise leaving your body feeling unfulfilled. However, if you have a history of it (if you've done it once a week or more for more than three months), if you're compelled not by hunger but by boredom, anger, depression, stress, and you binge to the point where it hurts and you feel like you don't have any self-control, you could have an eating disorder. BED is not the same as bulimia or anorexia. There's no shame in having an eating disorder and if you need to get some therapy, you do what's best for you and we'll be here to help and support you through it! http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/#.VPxaYvnF-24

That's all I'm gonna say about that. I just want to close with lots of encouragement--don't lose heart. It takes a long time to figure out what works best for our individual bodies and lives. The things I mentioned above have worked for me, but may not for you. Give it a whirl, and let us know how it goes. All the best to you!!

Thanks I will look this book up thankyou
  • debbieedson
    Options
    Quiet alot through week it builds up
  • debbieedson
    Options

I sometimes eat some back I do 60 minutes of kettlebells can burn anything from 800 -1000 I eat only some back 100 -200 not all time
  • debbieedson
    Options
    Sorry not share how to work this on replying I eat 1400 calories sometimes on workout days 1600 calories I workout cardio and kettlebell 3-4 week I eat healthy all week then build up to weekend and one day I get feeling for takeout or sweets but I will over eat and feeling I get won't go till I ate it like chocolate and takeout then I feel crap and ashamed I'm not overweight but will be if keep that up
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 5 109 lb's age 31 I am binging on once a week has carnt control feeling and will eat junk food like sweets takeout that day then feel crap about it I try eat cheat meal turns in to binge thanks for replys

109lbs is under weight for your height, and eating 1400 cals is pretty low, you're bingeing because your starving yourself. Why are you trying to lose weight?
  • debbieedson
    Options
    I've just got to that weight I'm not shure how much I should eat now to maintain my weight without gaining
  • KAS041479
    Options
    Based on your height alone, the lowest you'd want to weigh is 125lbs--depending on your age and bone density, you could safely and healthily go up to 150lbs. So, the safest thing to do is let yourself gain back about 15 pounds--but it doesn't have to be fat--it can be awesome healthy "fat-burning" muscle. Gradually add back in calories, 100 or 200 hundred a week. Try to take in at least 1800 calories. Never go below 1300, for your situation.

You are underweight and your body will always try to course-correct that; it will slow down your metabolism, it will make you feel starved (because you are right now) and you will binge. That's not a lack of will power on your part; that's biochemistry. Instead of trying to lose weight, think about toning muscle. Don't exercise to burn, exercise to sculpt.

Use the online calculators to figure out your BMI, BMR, AMR. Using an online calculator like Calorie King, I'd say that at a minimum, if you are 5 foot 5 inches, 31 years old, and you have a light office job (not moving around much like a waitress or professional cleaner), then you need to net at least 1700 to 1800 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight of 125lbs. If you go much lower, you could enter amenorrhea and not be able to have a period. If you net less than 1400, you can damage your metabolism. Your body will cannibalize its own muscle.

I'm not saying this to scare you--it's not like you've done permanent damage right now. But I really strongly encourage you to eat more, and change your workouts to things like yoga and fast walking with some light weights. Aim over the next month to get up to 1800 or 1900 calories eaten a day, and do light sculpting exercises like ab crunches during commercials of your favorite show, or walking the neighborhood, or relaxing yoga, to burn off 100 or 200 calories but mostly to tone you up and make you strong.

I know you don't want to gain. I know; I have so many issues with food and weight (I was a competitive dancer as a child), and I know the fear and guilt and panic that comes with the idea of gaining anything when you feel thin. But the undeniable truth is that the absolute minute you stop sticking to your super-restricted diet, you will gain, because that is what your body is designed to do when you put it into survival-mode. So don't think of it as gaining weight. Put yourself in the mindset of an athlete and build muscle. Eat clean. Sleep deep. Exercise to sculpt. Foods high in protein and fiber but low in fat (like beans) can help you produce fatty acid acetate, which stimulates the hormones that curb hunger, while at the same time helping you renew and repair your muscles and tissues. Definitely check out Master Your Metabolism--the author, Jillian Michaels, was in a similar situation, and over a period of fifteen years, it damaged her thyroid to the point of requiring medication. So, while I know you want to stay 109lbs, at 5 foot 5 inches, please aim for 125, net at least 1800, and do strength-building (as opposed to fat-burning) types of exercise. The binging will stop and your body will feel so much better. *hugs*
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    I've just got to that weight I'm not shure how much I should eat now to maintain my weight without gaining

You absolutely should gain. The bingeing is probably due to being underweight and potentially malnourished.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KAS041479 wrote: »
    Based on your height alone, the lowest you'd want to weigh is 125lbs--depending on your age and bone density, you could safely and healthily go up to 150lbs."
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know the guidelines you based this on. According to NHS choices, the the lower end of the healthy weight range for the OP is 111 lbs.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Set your goal in MFP to maintain, and it will tell you how many calories to eat to maintain. When you workout, eat some back.

I do think you're about 5 lbs underweight. (The height/weight chart I found says 115 min for 5 foot 5, which I think is about right. I'm 5 foot 4.5 and I think 110+ was considered not underweight, but I much preferred how I looked at 115 to 110. Anything under 114 started to pull from my curves, like, my natural body shape.)

So you may want to gain a few pounds and THEN set MFP to maintain. Or, if you're interested in gaining via muscle instead, start researching heavy lifting plans for women. I know there are a lot of great threads kicking around, and some really helpful people in the community. (Try the Fitness, or Gaining forums?) You could stay the same size, or even smaller, weigh a healthy weight, and eat a lot more, plus get the toned look. :)

qm7we80via1t.jpg

Also: Ordering some takeout and having some sweets isn't bingeing. It is just eating more in the moment than you planned objectively ahead of time. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just figure out how to eat so you feel more stable over time.
  • KAS041479
    Options
    I'd be interested to know the guidelines you based this on. According to NHS choices, the the lower end of the healthy weight range for the OP is 111 lbs.

Hi! I think you're right.

I was basing it off advice from an online calorie calculator that said for a 5'5" 131 year old female:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 126.8 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 132.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 125.7 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 124.6 lbs

So I went with their lowest ideal weight (124.6lbs) and recommended 125 to the OP. Then after you posted, I looked deeper and it said down at the bottom "Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 111.2 lbs - 150.2 lbs." So while it may say 125ish is ideal, it seems that 111 is safe.

So you and the NHS are right and the NHS is probably a much, much better source, and so the OP should follow that guideline. Thank you very much!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A quick look at the past week of your diary shows you've netted 1400 calories once with multiple days of sub-1000 calorie nets (including 912, 702, 871, 781 nets). Eat too little for too long, the body will need nutrients and possibly lead to a "binge" ... although I don't see a binge in the past week of your logging.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think I saw one day of eating 1,400 calories. On the rest of the days you're basically starving yourself. You might want to talk to someone about that. Eating 1,400 is not a "binge."