100+ to lose what is your workout?

Options
I just joined the Y last week i went 4 days last week just did cardio for 20 or 30 min. I'm so far out of shape. I'm planning on getting a personal trainer in May (money doesn't allow for it till then) I want to add in some weights too. Hell at this point i want to be able to walk on the tread mill for 30 min at a speed of 3.5 and not die. Any advise.......

Replies

• ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Start by eating right and keeping a moderate exercise plan. Diet really is the biggest part of the equation. If you want to save money on a trainer and need a good starting point for food and exercise hop over to Bodybuilding.com and sign up, it's completely free. Then check out the Jamie Eason 12 week workout plan. She will give you meal plans, workout plans and an easy walk through on how to do both
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I agree, bodybuilding.com has great programs. You don't need all the supplements they use, though some are good recommendations. I have learned a lot from this website.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have to lose about 94 lbs. I started Couch to 5K (C25K) and am just finishing week 4. I've had to repeat it a few of times, and even went back and repeated week 3, but now feel ready to move on to week 5 now. It's great if you are looking a way to build up to jogging a 5k. Zombies, Run also have a fun 5k training app.

I'm also going to start weight training in May. I've signed up for a class called Women on Weights that starts in May.

Currently I do the C25K 3-4 times a week and also do about 20 minutes on the stationary bike. My husband and I plan on doing a 30 km bike ride in the mountains this summer.

Good luck with your journey. Feel free to add me if you are looking for more support.
  • hghbnkr
    hghbnkr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crossfit. Started 3 weeks ago going three days a week. Im going to start going 4 days a week next week. I want to loose at least 100 lbs
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion for activity/exercise is water workouts... walking, jogging, swimming or water aerobics. You can begin at your own level and pace and the water is kind to your joints. It can offer resistance, build endurance and strength. Often people find they can do so much more in the water than they can on land.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started by walking. Several times a day. Before work, at lunch, after work, to the corner store, with friends. After I'd gotten to 5-6 miles a day I made the walking harder by finding routes with hills and stairs and repeating them. After a while I started biking and then running. That was 3 years and 85 lbs ago.

My advice is to find what you enjoy and gives you satisfaction and do it like your life depends on it.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for fitness, but doesn't necessarily aid weight loss. I have lost 92 lbs. with very little to no exercise. I plan to start when I get closer to goal.
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started with exercise because it's important to have a healthy heart and healthy organs. I do zumba and bootcamp and I always modify. I have 100+ to lose. So I don't do any jump moves. E.g I do side steps instead of jumping jacks, if the choreography gets too much I just do high knees on the spot.
    Once I was able to exercise and recover quickly, I started paying attention to diet and got a fitbit. It's awesome.
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I lost 33 have just under 150 more to lose. I started with walking, then added in cardio workouts at the gym on the treadmill. It wasn't until I started lifting weights that I saw huge improvement on my treadmill workouts.
    Make sure you have good shoes for walking. They're invaluable for protecting your feet from the stress of the increased activity.
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ZebsterBc is right I lost the first bunch of weight with just zumba, I added bootcamp circuit weights intervals in between zumba classes. That gave me strength lost more weight and got more definition. Thing is starting with cardio when you have a lot to lose it jump starts mobility.
  • MsJess92
    MsJess92 Posts: 8
    Options
    I bike. I have 120 more pounds to lose and biking is the one thing I have found that works for me right now. Hoping to start swimming when money allows for gym pool membership. Biking is low impact and can go at any pace you can. I ride on flat surfaces right now as I can't do much else.
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input.
  • sarahxheart
    sarahxheart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 90 to lose and started with Leslie Sansone's "walk away the pounds" videos, it's too cold to walk outside where I live. These videos are an awesome place to start. Also "Shapely Girl" fitness, search on Amazon! And Chris Powells videos!
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ++1 for cycling, moderation and start eating right. Make your choices sustainable. I have seen to many people (myself included) go to hard to fast out of the gate due to excitement only to realize after a bit of time they can not sustain the lifestyle choices they have made. I did that with running. ended up 4 weeks into my new lifestyle with tendinitis, shin splints and runners knee. Luckily I stuck with the eating right bought a bike and lost 130 pounds in past 10 months.
  • Purplekat921
    Purplekat921 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start at wherever you can. Every little step is still a step forward.
    When I started in October, I couldn't do 2.5 for more than a half hour. Now I can do 4 for an hour to 90 min.

You'll be able to start seeing a difference as long as you keep going, regardless of how fast you go.

I had 100 lbs to lose, so far I've lost 43.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good on you for wanting to do weight training! I would say that right now, you want to avoid higher intensity cardio, no matter what any trainer says. If you're that much overweight, you could hurt your knees by jogging or running. I know from experience - I have to lose about 90 pounds.

Walk, but walk on a track at your gym. I really don't like treadmills, they seem to be harder on my knees. Your mileage may vary. If you want to measure calories burned, check out the RunKeeper app. It's pretty good for that.

Are you looking for a weight training routine?
  • arrjaysketch
    arrjaysketch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From someone who lost about 47 lbs since the beginning of August. I think the biggest thing is learning to be patient. We all want this weight gone yesterday, right? I think it's important to just remember to keep at it.

I think it's a mix of eating right, cardio (for your heart and stamina), and weight training for increasing muscle mass (for burning calories). All those three together will help greatly!

There are a lot of exercises you can use using dumb bells. There's even some great exercises you can use using your own body weight. (Look up body weight circuits). For cardio, just start by walking for 30 minutes at a time. I'm still working up to running, but you're not on a deadline. It's way more important to be active in any way you can. It will get better as long as you keep at it. :smile:
  • walterboisvert
    walterboisvert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined the Y last week i went 4 days last week just did cardio for 20 or 30 min. I'm so far out of shape. I'm planning on getting a personal trainer in May (money doesn't allow for it till then) I want to add in some weights too. Hell at this point i want to be able to walk on the tread mill for 30 min at a speed of 3.5 and not die. Any advise.......

I've run numerous marathons and almost 100 10k races - a few hints - mix your workouts i.e. longer an slow, shorter an faster, build rest days, keep a chart each day, develop long an short term goals - be careful, don't get hurt - it takes about 2 weeks for your body to get used to a workout intensity - consistency will get u there - God bless You
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I started walking in September, and just kept pushing myself to go further each week. Then I started swimming again (used to be a swimmer) and going to aqua aerobics. I added in low impact fitness blender videos and Pilates. Now I have a gym membership and go there a few times a week to do a mix of cardio and strength training. I also swim, do aqua, and depending on the weather and my schedule, I sometimes do a long walk by the river, or do a video at home. On my day off, I usually do a long stretching session.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are located but here in Ontario Canada the YMCA offers wellness coaching where they will take you through all the different exercise options available. They are very kind as well as helpful. This is part of your membership.