How much do I weigh? My scale one tell me

Options
2»

Replies

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As a lab tech this is absolutely fascinating.

With the analytical balances in my lab, we calibrate with S1 weights daily. Both before the sample and at the end of samples. Usually if we get that much variation its due to air current. But then an analytical balance scale can be the tickiest piece of equipment in the lab. They seem to work best with the least variation in the acceptable range with a constant temperature of 70 degrees and no/low humidity.

My bathroom scale stopped having weird fluctuations when it was moved from the bathroom to the walk in closet. I have a theory that the "bathroom" scales may dislike constant moisture as much as the analytical scale in my work lab.

I'd take the number that came up most or average it all together. You could get really creative and do a geometric mean on them all. You have enough numbers a geo would be fun, but totally useless for weight.

• LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @Danilynn1975 - that's why I was interested too! I'm an analytical chemist and weigh out milligrams or micrograms of compounds on a regular basis :)
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I test water for safety of discharge to the environment. Pretty fascinating stuff. I have tested bottled water against drinking water from the tap against EPA regulations and a lot of the pre-bottled water would be boil notices if it came from your tap.

Lab numbers and scales and seemingly useless data is often worth a great deal when other pieces of the puzzle become clear. Ambient Outside Temperature can have profound effects on so many things both chemically and biologically.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah scales do that. They're not 100% perfect. The differences aren't that high, so just take 1 measure and keep in mind it might be off by a pound or two before you start panicking why you haven't lost as much as you should since last time.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ^^^ you are so right, Danilynn1975!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Possibilities:
    1. Cheap scale is cheap
    2. The batteries are getting low
    3. You stood on it slightly differently each time - where your center of gravity is on the scale might cause small differences?
    4. Poltergeist

I say take the weight that came up the most often and replace the batteries. Inexpensive bathroom scales are probably not the most finely-tuned expertly-calibrated machines, so I'm not really surprised when my scale can't make up its mind :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Possibilities:
    1. Cheap scale is cheap
    2. The batteries are getting low
    3. You stood on it slightly differently each time - where your center of gravity is on the scale might cause small differences?
    4. Poltergeist

5. Needs re-calibration.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My scale has a personality of its own and it's being a indecisive little brat. What the hell number do I go with? I weighed so many times just because it was fascinating how much it changed

ucma4km.jpg

Is that all in one day?

That's natural weight fluctuation.

Weigh once a week, but remember there is always natural fluctuation. The important thing is to watch for the downward trend.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Naw, it's the scale. It's all within minutes.

I too had a scale that did this, I got a new scale and it doesn't. I know because if I don't like the reading I get on and off it trying to get a different reading and it won't give me one.
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Whittedo wrote: »
    My guess is your body is being influenced by the full moon's gravitational pull.

Please tell me this is a joke...

Lol
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If that's a Fitbit scale, it's why I returned mine. A rep from the company said you have to step on it exactly the same way each time or it will weigh you differently. Also if you ever move the scale, at all, it needs to recalibrated. It just seemed like an expensive pain in the *kitten* to me so I took it back and got an "ordinary" scale.
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    mine does that too. i've always put it down to when i step on my feet aren't in the exact same place. it has a complete hissy fit if i move it to a different part of the room! :grin: