How much should I both burn and consume per day - cant get my head around it, can someone help?

Options
Hello, I dont post here as much as I should.

I'm trying to lose weight. I've just joined my local gym and I'm doing cardio and weights on a daily basis - but I need a daily cardio target so I know if I'm doing enough or not - and I dont know how that relates to how much I'm eating per day.

This is my current plan

I'm currently about 182lbs (13st)
I want to get down to about 160lbs (11.5st)
Bearing in mind I gather building muscle will make me heavier too, so realistically just whatever point gets me to "in shape"
I want to lose 2lbs per week - so an 11 week target
So thats 7000cal to lose per week
So thats 1000cal per day
Prior to joining the gym I was eating roughly 1500cal per day - My BMR is about 1925cal pd (excluding excercise)

So what I need to know is - how much should my consume/burn ratio be?
Do I need to burn 1000cal per day from doing cardio?
If I'm doing that do I need to eat more than 1500cal?

Really need some help on this, I cant get my head around it - I looked it up on some websites but I've just got confused by it,

Please reply ASAP

Tom

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is going to be too aggressive for the amount you want to lose-.5-1 pound a week will be more sustainable.

Also, MFP sets you up so you're already in a calorie deficit. You burn plenty of calories just by living, working, cleaning, cooking, and other daily activities. Do whatever cardio you feel comfortable with (you won't gain muscle doing it) and eat back 50% of what MFP says you burn (more if you use a HRM).
  • TomJClements
    TomJClements Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    2 pounds a week is going to be too aggressive for the amount you want to lose-.5-1 pound a week will be more sustainable.

Also, MFP sets you up so you're already in a calorie deficit. You burn plenty of calories just by living, working, cleaning, cooking, and other daily activities. Do whatever cardio you feel comfortable with (you won't gain muscle doing it) and eat back 50% of what MFP says you burn (more if you use a HRM).

Ok - Atm in my life I dont work, I dont clean and I dont really do a great deal else - my daily routine consists of getting up, eating, going to the gym, eating then sitting at my computer for the rest of the day.

As I said, I go to the gym every day - atm iv been doing half an hour cardio burning about 300cal then an hour < of weights.

So if Im working out do I need to eat more than normal, and if I want to lose X number of calories, how much of that needs to be not eating and how much needs to be burning?
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target. As @malibu927‌ says, MFP does the calcs for you, so as long as you're (accurately!) logging food and cals burned through exercise it'll give you a pretty good guide. Also, I'd recommend getting a Fitbit or similar as it really helps to keep a track of what you're burning - it's surprising how many cals you use just going about daily tasks, and they all count towards your deficit too. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ok - Atm in my life I dont work, I dont clean and I dont really do a great deal else - my daily routine consists of getting up, eating, going to the gym, eating then sitting at my computer for the rest of the day.

As I said, I go to the gym every day - atm iv been doing half an hour cardio burning about 300cal then an hour < of weights.

So if Im working out do I need to eat more than normal, and if I want to lose X number of calories, how much of that needs to be not eating and how much needs to be burning?

Set your goal to a pound a week on sedentary. Eat that amount of calories plus half your exercise calories. 500 will already be deducted each day to account for your calorie deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to burn 300 calories doing 30 minutes of cardio?
  • TomJClements
    Options

Do you say that as in it sounds too high or too low?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The right amount of cardio is long and fast enough that you have to focus to talk for a few minutes. Some burn in the legs but little joint pain.

Let MFP calculate for you. Log it all and see how it comes out.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Too high. The machines at the gym usually overestimate calories burned, which is one of the reasons most people only eat 1/4 or half of their exercise calories back.

• chunkyhunk42
    Options
    it depends on your weight, how strenuous you work out. im just over 17st and can burn that easily in 25 minutes of running on the treadmill.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, I burn 300 cal at about 34 minutes on the elliptical.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    it depends on your weight, how strenuous you work out. im just over 17st and can burn that easily in 25 minutes of running on the treadmill.

I'm 140lbs and would have to bust my gut to burn that much in 30 minutes.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well he's a male weighing 182 lbs :)

• PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Well, I'm 5' and weigh 165...and according to my Polar FT7, I burn between 300-350 calories in 30 minutes on the treadmill. And I'm not beating myself up to do it, either. So yeah, I think it's possible.

• Lisabobisa13
    Lisabobisa13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This site might help out a bit: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Also, the minimum calorie intake for men is 1300 calories a day. So if you burn 500 calories a day, plus the minimum caloric intake, you should eat at least 1800 calories a day.

The best book I've read (Eat Right For Life) on how and why to improve what I eat is on this site: http://www.drannwellness.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

Hope this helps. Good luck. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

yep yep. I didn't take that into account doh!! :blush:

• TomJClements
    Options
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target. As @malibu927‌ says, MFP does the calcs for you, so as long as you're (accurately!) logging food and cals burned through exercise it'll give you a pretty good guide. Also, I'd recommend getting a Fitbit or similar as it really helps to keep a track of what you're burning - it's surprising how many cals you use just going about daily tasks, and they all count towards your deficit too. Good luck!

Ahh thats very clear - thanks!

I'm still getting to grips with MFP as I've only just started doing proper workouts - prior to that I was mainly just cutting down on food/re-balancing diet.

I tried adjusting the goals on MFP to 2 hours workout 7 days a week and 2lbs to lose pw and it went down to only allowing me 1270cal per day - thats less than without exercise for the the same target!? Don't get that at all.
  • TomJClements
    Options

Set your goal to a pound a week on sedentary. Eat that amount of calories plus half your exercise calories. 500 will already be deducted each day to account for your calorie deficit.

Ok thanks
  • TomJClements
    Options

Too high. The machines at the gym usually overestimate calories burned, which is one of the reasons most people only eat 1/4 or half of their exercise calories back.

Ahh right - well I guess it depends how fast you're going? If I'm going hard enough to break a proper sweat its 300 in 30mins - thats on Elliptical Trainer - I have quite weak lower legs/ankles so I find I can do a more consistent and longer workout than on the treadmill - 30 mins in Im not tired at all either - thats why I wanted to find out how much I needed to do as 300cal in 30min seems not enough!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ahh thats very clear - thanks!

I'm still getting to grips with MFP as I've only just started doing proper workouts - prior to that I was mainly just cutting down on food/re-balancing diet.

I tried adjusting the goals on MFP to 2 hours workout 7 days a week and 2lbs to lose pw and it went down to only allowing me 1270cal per day - thats less than without exercise for the the same target!? Don't get that at all.

Your daily calorie targets do not factor in the exercise goals. MFP only considers the exercise when you've done it and logged it. If you meet your weekly goal, nothing stopping you from patting yourself on the back, though. I'll even eat a cookie for you if you notify me

If you're setting your account to 2 lb per week, you are doing the opposite of what you were advised to do earlier, hence why your calorie target went down. If you want more food, exercise and log it

If you prefer not to chase a moving target as far as your daily calorie intake, say so and somebody will give you more info about "TDEE" method :)
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

yep yep. I didn't take that into account doh!! :blush:

LOL - one of the few benefits to starting out very obese (currently 334lbs) is that a 25 minute low impact aerobic session burns (according to my activity tracker) upwards of 400 calories. I know that will come down, but right now it looks impressive on my status updates :wink: