Does anyone change their activity level on the weekend in their "goals" section?

Options
I have my activity level set to sedentary as I work a desk job during the week (although that is about to change), but on the weekends I am much more active. Just like today, I was outside half the day doing activities with my daughter like kickball and just playing around, and then this afternoon I was doing some heavy duty spring cleaning. I've hardly sat down all day, and I'm also hungry and near the limit of my calories. So I was wondering if anyone else here changed their activity level for the weekends when they are much more active. Just curious if that is an option, as it would allow me some extra calories. Or maybe I just need to invest in a fit bit to better track the increase in activity? I guess I don't know much about them and how they work.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, I have an activity tracker that does all that business for me.
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Following!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Nope, sorry, I have an activity tracker that does all that business for me.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about getting. It would certainly be easier, but it's not really in the budget right now as I am transitioning jobs. Just out of curiosity, which one do you use?

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I did used to change it to see how many fewer calories I should be eating on the weekends if/when I'm less active. I've had a Fitbit for awhile and just recently found the "negative adjustment" feature, which automatically deducts calories in the morning and adds them back as I'm more active.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No I don't change it. But I do log half of the work I do that is NOT with my daily routine. So if I did yard work for 4 hours on Sunday i would only log 2 hours of yard work. That way i get some credit for it but I don't over do it.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think about it as the law of averages. You are more active some days and less on others. I don't change my goals during the week. I do review them every few months to make sure they are still accurate.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    Dwamma wrote: »
    No I don't change it. But I do log half of the work I do that is NOT with my daily routine. So if I did yard work for 4 hours on Sunday i would only log 2 hours of yard work. That way i get some credit for it but I don't over do it.

I did log my walk this morning, as I took a 40 minute walk for my regular exercise, but the rest of the activity was so sporadic that it's hard to track. I mean I was doing something active at any given point in the day today, but not sure how to track much of it.

• jnv7594
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    I did used to change it to see how many fewer calories I should be eating on the weekends if/when I'm less active. I've had a Fitbit for awhile and just recently found the "negative adjustment" feature, which automatically deducts calories in the morning and adds them back as I'm more active.

I think I am going to break down and buy one of these when I can afford it. I've been wanting one for a while. Sounds like it would make things easier.

• Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit zip to log it. I often work as a bartender multiple 14 hour shifts during the weekend, so my weekend activity level is sooooo much different from my weekday. The tracker is so much better at keeping up with that than changing MFP estimates.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you know you are consistently more active on weekends then account for that in your average estimate of your activity level. No activity tracker required.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I stick with sedentary and just log all activity. Like you, I get many more calories burned and much more exercise overall on the weekends!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I change it around to see how much weight I'd lost... I usually stick with sedentary, 2lbs a week. But I've hit the floor now, calorie-wise. Need to increase my activity.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I never change activity levels. I try to record my activity and estimate on the low side. I'm trying to lose weight after all.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Nah I have a fit but that increases my goal based on activity.

Even before that I didn't change the goal. If I exercise I enter that in.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No change for me. I would probably log a portion of that as exercise though.