Looking for Bariatric Surgery Friends

Options
Good Morning I am veteran weightloss surgery patient with tons of complications in the past year. Looking for friends to ride this journey with. I have lost 160 pounds since 2008 and 103 in the past year with all of my complications. I struggle with getting proteins in daily by eating alone so I have to supplement for protein supplements. I was banded in 2008 then revised last year to sleeve then revised to RNY within a couple of months of each other. I have permanent damage to my esophagus from the lap band that can not be reversed with surgery or medications.

Replies

• forfranki
    forfranki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had mine 3 years ago! Welcome!
  • marychristine1959
    Options
    I had RNY. It will be 3 years on June 4. I lost 150 lbs initially, but had a lot of complications. Once I could eat again, after 6 months of liquids only, I sort of over did it. Now I have gained back 40 pounds of what I lost. I am determined to not let all I went through be a waste. I have no clue what I am supposed to eat, since my clinic closed down 3 months after my surgery and due to the complications I had. I am hoping the calorie count on here will help me. I have to lose this and get in control!
  • luke6283
    luke6283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was recently suggested to get the sleeve by my Dr. I keep swaying on the decision I'll read some horror stories and say no, then I'll argue with myself inside my head about food I want to eat and tell myself that is why I need to have it. Having been through all that if you could would you go back and tell yourself no don't do it? I just really feel like I'll never win the battle unless I get it done... Which protein supplements are you using?
  • sour_sweetb
    Options
    luke6283 wrote: »
    I was recently suggested to get the sleeve by my Dr. I keep swaying on the decision I'll read some horror stories and say no, then I'll argue with myself inside my head about food I want to eat and tell myself that is why I need to have it. Having been through all that if you could would you go back and tell yourself no don't do it? I just really feel like I'll never win the battle unless I get it done... Which protein supplements are you using?
    I've just had the sleeve done last week and I use muscle milk light or EAS powder there are only a few to choose from that actually work with within the bariatric guidelines
  • sour_sweetb
    Options
    Hi, I had the sleeve done on March 2, it's only been a week but I think I'm doing fairly well. Is there any advice anyone would like to give? ?
  • jsomasnew
    Options
    @luke6283‌ A lot of people ask me the same question. Would I go back and not do it? My answer is not that simple. I ponder in my head back and forth yes and no. I would never recommend the band to anyone now. My new surgeon hardly does gastric banding anymore. His office has found that at five years post op from band its a 50% failure rate and at ten years post op its almost a 100% failure rate.
    As for protein supplements I use Unjury brand,Nectar Whey (only fuzzy navel), and I also use Chike coffee flavored. I don't do protein bars. I can't stand them. I am very picky about my protein supplements.
  • kp3868
    kp3868 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 10/2013. Starting weight 226/ current 161... I'm 5 foot tall and that's still out of my weight range. I'd like to be a healthy 135... I've had great success with a 10lb weight gain since November. As of 2/25 I've lost 13lbs back on my die staying under 900 calories mostly around the 500/600 range. Protein intake is very difficult. Shakes are too thick. I love the premade ones but they cost so much. Tuna/chicken kinds is hard to go down.. but I still try. I get 50/60 gm a day where I need to be at 100/120.

So you know to be honest. . It's NO cure to being fat. I use the term fat bc it's a mental addiction to food that has me overweight now. I'm an emotional eater &love good food! and although I'm literally half the person I used to be I still see the fat me. I'm working on the emotional part of all of this.

Complex carbs still make me real sick. Pasta/potatoes sweets, tomatoes, pineapples & orange juice.. I can eat oranges but can't drink the juice. I start feeling all hot and sweaty then get ultra nausea... When my stomach is empty I have this outrageous hiccup sound that sounds like a frog that comes out of nowhere... Sometimes I belch a dead taste.. which has almost subsided since I stopped over eating for the last 3 weeks.

Would I do it all over again? ?? ABSOLUTELY! !! This has changed my life. Although I know it's no cure for being obese it forces me to want to live an active lifestyle and be more physical.. if I cheat or overeat I'm miserable.. and anyone who has done it knows...

I keep the faith and pray for strength daily. I'm still working on discipline! ! It's a lifestyle change for sure!

• cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had the sleeve surgery on 3/2/15, so I'm still in my recovery period. :) Initial impressions-

They told me there would be periods where I would ask 'What have I done?' I haven't had that yet, but it's taken almost a week for me to feel even close to 'normal'. I discovered I can't tolerate lactose now (problematic, because most of the protein shakes available to me easily use milk).

A week after surgery... I'm still glad I did it. I have struggled with my weight for all of my adult life. Will I still have problems? No doubt. But I feel like this was a huge step in the right direction, and a tool that was necessary for my success.

I have a long trip ahead of me, but I've got my feet on the road.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    having sleeve surgery on April 1st, yeah I know - April Fool's Day. started liquid diet yesterday, March 18. actually started dieting (again) on Jan 5th to get ready for this. so far have lost 33 lbs and was 289 at that time, my "official" weigh-in was on Jan 21st at 277, my goal is to get down to about 165, just under a BMI of 25
  • pinkwing13
    Options
    I was revised from band to RNY in January. Please add me if you are a weight loss surgery person. We have special circumstances we have to work with.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    for anyone interested, i am in a group on MFP that is all about Vsg and it ranges from people wanting to have surgery and just getting started to people 1 month post op to veterans many years out and at goal or not even at goal and everyone in between. Very honest and informative forums and discussions...feel free to add me as well if you'd like, i was sleeved on 3/4/15..here is the group link
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1052-vsgers
  • jenscottb
    jenscottb Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I did this before my surgery 5/6/15. No i wouldn't go back and talk myself out of it. I am so happy now and more mobile. I love drinking a protein shake at night before bed. I mix 1 scoop Matrix cookies n cream protein powder, 8 Oz soy milk, ice and little bit of sugar free pudding powder in a magic bullet. This has a total of 31 grams of protein.
    Good luck and feel free to add me on here.
  • jenscottb
    jenscottb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just had the sleeve done last week and I use muscle milk light or EAS powder there are only a few to choose from that actually work with within the bariatric guidelines

There's more protein powders and Premade mixes. I prefer Matrix or Nectar. There's EAS, Slim fast, Atkins, etc but watch the sugar content. I personally can't stomach the p remade ones.