what's the best advice you have been given??

Options
As the title says what's the best advice you have been given thats helped you on your journey to a new you?

Replies

• nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    To join MFP!!!!!
    Don't let one slip-up keep you down. Tomorrow is a new day.
    Water, water, water, water!
  • wayfaringarchivist
    Options
    Some once told me that the best reason for exercising is so you don't have to feel guilty about not exercising.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Some once told me that the best reason for exercising is so you don't have to feel guilty about not exercising.

^ I love this

My mother once said, "That doughnut looks better in the case than it does on my hips."
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    To not be afraid to eat.

Not to let one day get you down - that we ALL slip during this journey. It isn't the end of the world.
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To hold yourself accountable, not beat yourself up for slip ups, but don't make excuses to have them. There are enough battles we face in our lifetime, the one against ourselves shouldn't be one of them. And lots of water!
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To take it slow and be patient with this weight loss. My mom said in exact words "It didn't take you a overnight to gain that weight so don't expect yourself to lose it overnight." Love my mom!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    When trying a new aerobic class... Just keep moving, even if you're having trouble following along, just keep moving. Don't know how many times I've brought a mental chuckle to those around me as I flail wildly and attempt to get the beat, but I'm still burning more calories than sitting at home and having more fun than being on the treadmill.

When trying a yoga/BodyFlow class... Just do what you can. In a short time, I've already seen small improvements.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Always pack clean underwear in your carry on bag.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    it took years to get to your current weight, why would you expect it to get off in days
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    it took years to get to your current weight, why would you expect it to get off in days

best diet thing i ever read
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Happiness is not a destination, it's a mode of travel.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    "Don't take life too seriously.
    You'll never make it out alive."

Yeah, totally quoted Van Wilder. :D
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    To not listen to the people on the threads and do the research yourself.. just sayin lol
  • rjp3399
    rjp3399 Posts: 9
    Options
    My doctor said to me a few years ago when I first tried to lose weight

"I can help you but not as much as you can help yourself"

At the time I didn't really understand, I just wanted a magic pill to help the weight drop off, which he gave me and it worked for a short while, and when it stopped working because my body was acustomed to it and I found all that I lost and bit more.

A couple of years later the eureaka moment came, I am now losing weight for longer than any other period in my life, I am now the lightest I have been for 22 years and the best thing is it's all natural no additives, no supplements no guilt, because if I don't help myself who really can help me ?

It's all in the mind :-)
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    "Take everything one day at a time.....You didn't gain it all in one week and you won't lose it in one week"

^^A good friend of mine told me this as a teenager and I have to remind myself that no matter what I do....if I start slacking, just pick up where I left off and keep going!

xoxo
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    One day is not a fail, the only way you fail is by giving up.

GG
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    One "slip" is not the end of the world. Eat well and be kind to yourself. This is a journey, not a destination! Lighten up, allow yourself to live in the grey (don't be so balck and white) in your thinking.

And my mantra of the moment, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    "Don't take life too seriously.
    You'll never make it out alive."

Yeah, totally quoted Van Wilder. :D

i LOVE that you just quoted van wilder! :)
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Life is too short, therefore live everyday like its your last day.
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    Believe nothing, no matter who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense.

Buddha.

He was one smart guy... ;)