On the go snacks.

Options
It's shopping tomorrow and I want to make up some containers with snacks in them that I can take to uni and munch on when I get hungry in between meals.

I'm consistently under my calorie intake, and I know I should have 'extra' calories via my fitbit, but I'm having syncing issues. I'd estimate I'm under by 200-500 calories a day, depending on the day and how much I eat.

I'm also usually under my Cholesterol, Protein and Iron goals if that helps.

I have access to a microwave, and little airtight containers.

The only idea I currently have is to buy some different kinds of nuts. Any other suggestions would be great!

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, light string cheese, mini-pretzels, and protein bars are usually things I stick with for snacks. My husband really likes cashews as a snack.

I also get the "Jif to go" containers, and my daughters and husband have that with a baggie of pretzels.
  • xSammyKayx
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    Yogurt, light string cheese, mini-pretzels, and protein bars are usually things I stick with for snacks. My husband really likes cashews as a snack.

I also get the "Jif to go" containers, and my daughters and husband have that with a baggie of pretzels.

Ooh thanks! Yogurts won't work due to Aussie summer heat (they spoil really quickly as I've found out), but pretzels look nice. I'd have to try the cheese strings to see how it works with the weather.

I have gotten protein bars in the past, but it's a bit hit and miss. I either get one I really like, and can never find it again, or I don't like them.

Thanks for your input!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    dried fruits?

Nuts, as you said.

Protein bars are easy and portable, many are tasty (although it can be a bit of trial and error; it feels like everyone on the planet loves Quest bars EXCEPT me LOL).

Since you have airtight containers, how about portions of yogurt (especially Greek, as it is higher in protein) or cottage cheese (not sure about your refrigeration access, but my husband takes cottage cheese to work in a small cooler with ice packs and it works)

I like Ostrim beef-and-ostrich meat sticks; they're fairly expensive but high protein, low fat, very portable, individually wrapped, etc - basically just super convenient.

Because you have microwave access, what about instant oatmeal packets? You can buy them or you can custom-make your own; Pinterest and Google are FULL of how-to's on making your own.

If you like the oatmeal idea but don't want it hot, make mini-containers of overnight oats and eat them cold (again, Pinterest and Google are great resources for recipe ideas)

bags/containers of cut veggies with a container of dip (ranch, hummus, guac, nut butter - whatever you fancy)

Hard boiled eggs are portable, high protein, and quite nutritious.
  • xSammyKayx
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    dried fruits?

Nuts, as you said.

Protein bars are easy and portable, many are tasty (although it can be a bit of trial and error; it feels like everyone on the planet loves Quest bars EXCEPT me LOL).

Since you have airtight containers, how about portions of yogurt (especially Greek, as it is higher in protein) or cottage cheese (not sure about your refrigeration access, but my husband takes cottage cheese to work in a small cooler with ice packs and it works)

I like Ostrim beef-and-ostrich meat sticks; they're fairly expensive but high protein, low fat, very portable, individually wrapped, etc - basically just super convenient.

Because you have microwave access, what about instant oatmeal packets? You can buy them or you can custom-make your own; Pinterest and Google are FULL of how-to's on making your own.

If you like the oatmeal idea but don't want it hot, make mini-containers of overnight oats and eat them cold (again, Pinterest and Google are great resources for recipe ideas)

bags/containers of cut veggies with a container of dip (ranch, hummus, guac, nut butter - whatever you fancy)

Hard boiled eggs are portable, high protein, and quite nutritious.

Thanks! I'll have a look at dried fruit and protein bars since they look like easy choices.

I've got no refrigeration during the day and it's the middle of summer, so yogurt and similar things spoil too quickly before me eating them.

I've tried veggies and dip before, I'll have a look at different dips and what's on special when I'm at the shops.

I usually have oatmeal in the morning (or at least I plan to buy run out of time) do I probably don't want that during the day :)

Do you eat the eggs cold? Or heat them up in the microwave? I could do them easily but have never had them cold and always had them fresh.

Thanks for the ideas!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    xSammyKayx wrote: »
    Do you eat the eggs cold? Or heat them up in the microwave? I could do them easily but have never had them cold and always had them fresh.

Thanks for the ideas!

I loooooove hard boiled eggs cold. Little salt or even straight plain. In fact I've never had a warm *hard* boiled egg in my life LOL

Since refrigeration isn't available you'll probably run into the same spoilage issue with many dips as you would with yogurt, but not with a nut butter - and celery sticks or sliced apples are really great when dipped in peanut or almond butter, so that's an option you may be able to incorporate (fully admit I didn't check your profile so I don't know where you live and if pb is readily available there though!)
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars!
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Slice of whole wheat bread and a scoop of Natty PB. My favorite. Quest bars are pretty awesome as well.
  • xSammyKayx
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    xSammyKayx wrote: »

Thanks for the ideas!

I loooooove hard boiled eggs cold. Little salt or even straight plain. In fact I've never had a warm *hard* boiled egg in my life LOL

Since refrigeration isn't available you'll probably run into the same spoilage issue with many dips as you would with yogurt, but not with a nut butter - and celery sticks or sliced apples are really great when dipped in peanut or almond butter, so that's an option you may be able to incorporate (fully admit I didn't check your profile so I don't know where you live and if pb is readily available there though!)

Pb is available :P
    foursirius wrote: »
    Quest Bars!
    Slice of whole wheat bread and a scoop of Natty PB. My favorite. Quest bars are pretty awesome as well.

I don't actually know what quest bars are. Ok assuming they are a protein bar (without googling). I can't say I've ever seen them. I am from Australia though.