Waist training~ is it really all it's hyped up to be?

Options
All I see on instagram is girls posing in their super tight waist trainers. So I've become interested lol... manly because I hear a lot of pros- that with proper use they can be beneficial with shapping your waist.

I was going to pick one up on Tuesday but I don't want really want to just waist money if I hate it. I will be able to try it them on and pick which one I like best.

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with them? Pros and cons

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Probably no pros from a health perspective. I'd like to wear one when I get down to a healthy size. Just to look sexy. But that's all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fad training and scientifically doesn't hold up to anecdotes of people make claims of "shaping" there waists.
    ANY compression garment will temporarily leave an "indentation" on the body. Tie a rubber band tight around your wrist for a couple of hours, or even wearing underwear that's too tight will do the same. Guess what? When left out in the open, the skin expands back to original.
    Your shape is your shape. It was genetically bestowed upon you when you were born. Unless you're willing to go under the knife, shape doesn't change much. You can't lessen the width (bone width) of your hips nor shorten the length of your arm with any exercise or contraption.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know from experience. It's a fad.
    I purchased 2 latex shapers. One for sleeping and another for working out.
    In MY opinion they are fancy workout bands. Unless you just had a child the results will be temporary.

Pro: It gave me back support so I felt it helped with posture. Also, because of the compression I felt I got fuller quicker.
    Cons: It's a complete waste of money. The results are not long lasting.

If customers are gaining results it's from diet and exercise not the garment itself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    bapvu7shkd82.jpg

I like my organs where they belong.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's bunk.

Pure, unadulterated bunk.

The answer you seek to your weight issues lies elsewhere.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    bapvu7shkd82.jpg

yep I have no desire to rearrange my organs thanks!! Especially not for vanities sake or because that half wit Kim Kardashian endorses them....

• DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    With corsets? Yes and no. It depends on the shape you want. How dramatic do you want your hourglass to be. If you want a more normal hourglass, then no, but if you want an incredibly dramatic difference, then yes. Just be sure to get a good corset. You won't be able to find one in a store, you'll have to order it. I recommend Orchard Corset. thecorsetauthority.tumblr.com is a great resource.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    anything that would risk altering my shape permenantly -such as corsets and so forth really doesn't seem healthy. makes me think of those 'it works' wrap things
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    bapvu7shkd82.jpg

PLUS, like what happened to her boobies? They're almost to her knees now!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bapvu7shkd82.jpg

PLUS, like what happened to her boobies? They're almost to her knees now!

Awwwweee I didn't even notice that! I'll just have to make do with what I was born with :wink:

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bapvu7shkd82.jpg

This.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It will make your core muscles weaker. It keeps you from moving to the extent you normally would and it provides support so your muscles don't have to work as hard. Badness, all the way around.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have corsets that I wear for evil purposes.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You have to wear the corset at ALL times other than showering. It really weakens your core muscles. Once you quit wearing the corset your shape goes back to its natural state. If it is something you're serious about you'll want to invest in a high quality one which is very expensive.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Please don't intentionally squash your organs. Your body thanks you for not being horrible to it.
  • jengragg
    jengragg Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a latex corset and wear it 6-12 hours a day. It makes me full faster and helps with posture. I wear it while I workout also. It does weaken the core so be sure to do more exercises to strengthen your core when you're waist training. I haven't measured but can definitely see the difference after a couple weeks of wearing my corset. I'm also dieting and exercising more which I'm sure is contributing to the new shape. I'm definitely more of an hourglass now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    With corsets? Yes and no. It depends on the shape you want. How dramatic do you want your hourglass to be. If you want a more normal hourglass, then no, but if you want an incredibly dramatic difference, then yes. Just be sure to get a good corset. You won't be able to find one in a store, you'll have to order it. I recommend Orchard Corset. thecorsetauthority.tumblr.com is a great resource.
    A garment TEMPORARILY changes one's shape due to compression and constriction. Physiologically, it does nothing for fat or weight loss. Just need to clarify that because there are people who read these types of threads and will be convinced that they need a corset to lose fat weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is the dumbest thing I have heard of in a while....

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is why you should not get fitness ideas from instagram ...#dumb