Type II Diabetic getting sick

Options
I am the classic Syndrome X Type II diabetic. I am currently on full doses of Metformin, Glyburide and Onglyza. On days when I do especially well with my carbs, I get the symptoms of Hypoglycemia, even though when I test my levels, I am 80-100 which is considered normal for most people. I have to eat to not feel sick, but am so upset that I can't stay in what most people consider a healthy level. I've dealt with this for about 3 months now, as I thought it was just an adjustment period.

I will be talking to my Doctor this Friday, any advice or thoughts?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband has put his type 2 diabetes into remission (according to his doctor) by eating a very low carb, high fat diet and taking a small dose of metformin. Check out Blood Sugar 101: http://www.phlaunt.com/ and Dr. Bernstein's website: http://www.diabetes-book.com/
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really address my problem.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Doesn't really address my problem.

Did you fully read the websites I posted? I highly doubt it in 2 minutes.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    Summary: Eat better and get your blood sugar down. Problem: when my blood sugar gets to normal levels I get VERY SICK.
    Unless you are recommending I change my dosage of Metformin and stop taking my other two medications, this doesn't address my problem.
    Second problem, very limited on what websites I can reach from work or go to the break room and read on my phone.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think seeing your doctor is a really good idea, because he knows you and your history. Maybe he can refer you to a dietician who can give you specialized advice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    have you kept an accurate glucose level log paired with an accurate and precise food log to start seeing if there are any correlations? Have you invested the time to find which glucose level is optimal for your well being?

If no to either, I would think you have a little homework.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am the classic Syndrome X Type II diabetic. I am currently on full doses of Metformin, Glyburide and Onglyza. On days when I do especially well with my carbs, I get the symptoms of Hypoglycemia, even though when I test my levels, I am 80-100 which is considered normal for most people. I have to eat to not feel sick, but am so upset that I can't stay in what most people consider a healthy level. I've dealt with this for about 3 months now, as I thought it was just an adjustment period.

I will be talking to my Doctor this Friday, any advice or thoughts?

I don't have diabetes, but I do typically have lower blood sugars and I can get reactive hypoglycemia. I was having problems for several months where I would get the symptoms of hypoglycemia, but my blood sugars were usually 70-80; pretty much excellent.

After a very long time of eating way too much to try and cope with the symptoms, I've actually figured out the symptoms weren't hypoglycemia at all; they were anxiety. It's something to consider, and the symptoms are almost identical.
  • ansonrinesmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    have you kept an accurate glucose level log paired with an accurate and precise food log to start seeing if there are any correlations? Have you invested the time to find which glucose level is optimal for your well being?

If no to either, I would think you have a little homework.
    You bet. I keep VERY close logs of my food, here on MFP and my glucose levels. My optimal level is 100, which is where I start getting sick.
    The best correlation I have, is when I actually reach my carb goal, by being under why my dietitian has recommended.

• dbmata
    Options
    If that is where you start getting sick, how is that optimal?
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    I think you have just restated my very first question. I'm giving you the information from my doctor and dietitian.
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Summary: Eat better and get your blood sugar down. Problem: when my blood sugar gets to normal levels I get VERY SICK.
    Unless you are recommending I change my dosage of Metformin and stop taking my other two medications, this doesn't address my problem.
    Second problem, very limited on what websites I can reach from work or go to the break room and read on my phone.

Actually that would be great to do, but you must do it under a doctor's supervision. Read the websites I posted when you are not at work and they will explain why insulin is a much better drug for type 2 diabetics who need better blood sugar control than any other drugs (other than metformin). Eventually you may be able to ditch all drugs with proper diet (except possibly metformin), but it depends on how shot your pancreas is at this point.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    My doctor is the one increasing the dosage and amount of medications I'm taking now. I would really like to hear from someone who actually has or had this problem.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    My doctor is the one increasing the dosage and amount of medications I'm taking now. I would really like to hear from someone who actually has or had this problem.

You need to research your disease and understand how the medications your doctor is prescribing are affecting you. There are very serious consequences of diabetes and anecdotes from a message board should not be your primary source of information. Please, take some time, read the websites I listed, and get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic, but know that carb restriction can make non-diabetic people sick (and several symptoms are similar to symptoms of Hypoglycemia). You say you've "dealt with it for 3 months" but not sure that's been in tandem with your carb reduction.

I have watched many family members become dependent on meds to manage their diabetes, and I wish that their doctors had sent them to a nutritionist and helped them learn about lifestyle/diet/behavioral management of their illness. If you're in the early stages of it, and I hope so at your age, I would ask your doctor about how best to manage your illness without becoming so dependent on medication.

I am sorry you are struggling, I hope you are able to get it under control and start feeling better soon.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you aren't finding much support here - people are just throwing information at you without reading that you sound like you're actually doing pretty good other than feeling sick.

I'm glad that you've kept such detailed logs for your doctor though - I'm sure that will help. While it hasn't happened to me I have heard from others who had such high bs levels for so long that coming back to normal levels made them sick. I don't recall for how long though, and I don't know a lot more than that so I hope you are able to get a resolution from your doctor.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think you have just restated my very first question. I'm giving you the information from my doctor and dietitian.

Close, but not exactly.

My question is, if you stated a certain glucose level is optimal, yet it makes you sick, how is it optimal?

Is your definition of optimal as being sick? Have you tried maintaining other levels and you feel worse? Do other levels make you feel better?

There's a pretty specific reason I'm asking, because if you haven't tried other levels, what are your thoughts on doing so? I'm not diabetic, although I'm learning to love the needle... I do have some friends who are, and each one of them had to become experts in their care, and direct their GPs in treatment, which included finding which glucose levels worked best for them, etc.

If it were me, I'd explore maintaining different levels, and keeping a log. That's me playing with my own health though. Your level of comfort and risk assessment may vary.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    I felt great at 300+
  • dbmata
    Options
    I felt great at 300+

Would that be compatible with your affliction? Lol. I think I'd be half insane at 300+. What if you are better sub 100? 90? etc.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OP, along the same lines as dbmata (though I don't recommend experimenting until you do some research and perhaps get a second opinion from a doc whose main practice is type II diabetics), consider the following:

The optimal range your doctor is giving you. That is based on population statistics, so the range covers the mean 'normal' person, and several standard deviations above and below that mean.

There are those whose optimal function lies outside of that range. Don't jump to the conclusion that you are one of those outliers, because they are rare. But don't exclude the possibility, either.
  • dbmata
    Options
    It also doesn't exclude the possibility that you are within one of the deviations, and will find optimal health o nthe high or low end of the "normal" range.