new here and looking for support and motivation

Options
jrieth79
jrieth79 Posts: 9 Member
Hi all!
I've been on MFP for several weeks now and I"m really trying to eat good and log my calories. The weekends are very tough though and I'm usually not as strict. I really want to lose about 30lbs and am getting very motivated to do so. I've just ordered the Fitbit flex and I can't wait to get it! I'm going to up how much I go to the gym and have left a message for a trainer hoping to help me out with a good routine. Anyone else have any tips or good motivators?
Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your scale is your friend. It's the best motivator I have. If I gain a little then that helps me to remotivate. I weigh every day. Gain one, lose two. I've been doing this for 50 pounds.
  • jrieth79
    jrieth79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was just looking up scales and was going to get one. I usually use the barcode scan and then use a measuring cup for the serving size. Do you think doing it that way it's being miscalculated?
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    jrieth79 wrote: »
    Thanks! I was just looking up scales and was going to get one. I usually use the barcode scan and then use a measuring cup for the serving size. Do you think doing it that way it's being miscalculated?

Buy a weighing scale. It is much accurate than anything else.
  • KeepItSimpleGirl
    KeepItSimpleGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The fit bit is great in helping you stay active. Once you get yours set up, go to the fit bit community and start adding friends. The challenges are huge motivators at keeping you active and pushing you. It syncs great with my fitness pal to calculate the calories you burn for you without having to enter them manually. My advice is to keep it simple. If you get yourself into a routine that is too far out of your comfort zone you will be more likely to quit. When I started using my Fitbit and MFP I just focused on getting in my 10,000 steps a day and logging all my food. I was able to drop 20 pounds in eight weeks just by walking and staying at 1200 calories (that's the number MFP set for me in order to lose 2 pounds a week.) As a rule, I typically won't eat back more than half of the exercise calories that I earn. But it's nice to have them there if your having a hard weekend. Adjust your step goal as you start to get more comfortable. You'll know when you're ready to start adding more intense exercise because your weight-loss will plateau, save the gym membership and personal trainer for that time. That's my two cents. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • KeepItSimpleGirl
    KeepItSimpleGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also, the food scale is a fantastic idea!