Ideas for Low calorie side dishes "Preferably home-made"

Options
Can some one please post your ideas and recipes for Low calorie side dishes "Preferably home-made"
ie: No processed food

Thank you

Replies

• Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sautéed shredded zucchini. Pan- or oven roasted Brussels sprouts, drizzle of oil and sprinkle of parmigiano reggiano. Actually broccoli and cauliflower are good this way too (hate them boiled). Caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil--the amounts are up to you depending on your calorie goals).
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Any root vegetable lightly steamed and then caramelized in the same pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. I particularly love carrots and/or parsnips and/or celeriac made this way.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can some one please post your ideas and recipes for Low calorie side dishes "Preferably home-made"

Thank you

Take any known side dish recipe, portion it to make it "low cal" WOAH
  • execrate2k15
    execrate2k15 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lol
    Acg67 wrote: »

Thank you

Take any known side dish recipe, portion it to make it "low cal" WOAH

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is this for a particular event? There are like a million potential answers. I'd bother being fancier/more elaborate for an event, and so it would be a bit less low cal, often.

For example--green beans sautéed with mushrooms in some olive oil with a bit of fresh dill is one I like. I often add pine nuts if I'm having guests.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love roasted beets and parsnips
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My go-to side dish is mixed vegetables chopped up and roasted with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. It's delicious, easy, and a great way to use up random veggies that have accumulated in your fridge.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    We do lots of salads and roasted veggies here. Or sometimes when I'm lazy, raw cucumbers and carrots :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's how I cook most of the time. That's another reason why I was curious what the side dish was for. Normally I decide on side dishes based on (1) what protein am I having, (2) do I want more or fewer carbs, and (3) what veggies do I have on hand that would go, go together, and probably should be cooked the soonest.

I got used to cooking based on what I had rather than some idea of a perfect menu when I first started seriously trying to use up my CSA box (why that's a challenge depends on the season--in spring I have greens with everything), and now it makes things a lot easier.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    jane837 wrote: »
    My go-to side dish is mixed vegetables chopped up and roasted with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. It's delicious, easy, and a great way to use up random veggies that have accumulated in your fridge.

Yes! I do this. I use onion, potato, carrots, and beets. You can also take out the potatoes and drizzle balsamic vinegar on them before baking.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Mashed sweet potatoes with butter.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To go with what?

Butternut squash roasted chips
    Asparagus
    Watercress, spinach and rocker salad
    Couscous with feta
    Rice salad with pomegranate
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agreed - need more info if this is for a particular event/meal - or just looking to expand your rotation of side dishes, and also what qualifies as "low calorie".

Regardless - side dishes is an area I struggle with as well so I'm in for ideas.
  • execrate2k15
    execrate2k15 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "looking to expand your rotation of side dishes" We do a lot of pasta and vegetables but I have noticed that pasta side dishes are to high in calories.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like to make a cucumber, tomato salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette and a little fat free feta on top. Grilled asparagus is always delicious. Can't go wrong with steamed broccoli or a small portion of baked sweet potato. You'll want to use about half of a sweet potato per serving because they're high in carbs but very nutritious.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For low calorie I would do roasted cauliflower instead of potatoes. It has the same "mouth feel" as potato but more flavour when roasted. Just needs a spray of oil and some seasoning. Spices are nice.

For chips I boil wedges for 5mins then roast with just a spray of oil. Very nice. Low calorie if you stick to maybe one potato worth- so eight chips.

Stir fry veg is good. Like kale with garlic- yum
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus, especially now that the asparagus is coming in and you can get it fresh- toss with 1 TBS of oil to coat, bake at 350 until tender and then sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese near the end. Of course, this is best served hot out of the oven.

If you are looking for a take along side dish or something you want to make ahead of time, an overnight salad (layered salad) is a favorite with my family. I skip the bacon and radishes and use low fat mayo and reduced calorie cheese. Here's a close version: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/i5ss5r2/layered-overnight-salad.html

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Any vegetable, roasted. Vary the seasoning. Cauliflower and smoked paprika. Broccoli and garlic. Asparagus and lemon pepper. Brussels sprouts and garlic. All finished with a squeeze of lemon juice. Spaghetti squash is another favorite of mine with seasoned salt. You can eat a ton of non-starchy vegetables for very few calories. I usually toss mine with a teaspoon of oil and whatever seasoning I'm using and roast in a 400 degree oven on a parchment lined baking sheet until they're done.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of roasted vegetables as well... Asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, potatoes...
    I recently came across a recipe for roasted radishes that I am planning on trying... Sometimes, I'll do rice and/or couscous with a steam veggie mixed in too...
  • lifeguard23
    lifeguard23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Grill asparagus with a splash of worsheshire and garlic salt. Pretty good.