Lowest (lower) calorie ketchup and BBQ sauce needed?

Options
So many ketchups and BBQ sauces are loaded with sugar (and sodium) for "enhanced" taste. Before I stand in the ketchup aisle and look at every nutritional label for calories per serving...

Can someone suggest what they have found to be a lower calorie ketchup (that at least tastes like ketchup) and a lower calorie BBQ sauce?

Your help would be appreciated...

Replies

• KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the ketchup, but I just found a brand of sugar free bbq sauce at my supermarket called G Hughes. I need gluten free which this also is, but the added bonus of sugar free is nice.
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Heinz has reduced sugar ketchup, thats what I use. I havent found any reduced sugar or sugarless BBQ sauce that tastes good
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've used both G Hughes BBQ sauce and the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup. I really like the ketchup. There are three flavors of the BBQ sauce but the hickory flavor is the only one I like.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup. It's only 5 calories per serving.

I get Hunt's Original BBQ sauce. It's like 35 calories per tablespoon, I think?
  • thdmsulvt
    thdmsulvt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might be able to make your own BBQ sauce. I use to make some just to top my meatloaf and it was fabulous. It used ketchup so I'd recommend using the reduced sugar ketchup, brown sugar (perhaps some of the brown sugar substitutes could be used) and dry mustard. If you go to pinterest.com and search for a recipe that uses oatmeal in the meatloaf, you might stumble upon the recipe. It really is only those three things.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Walden farms make great "calorie free" and "low calorie" sauces. They taste like their original counterparts. Somewhat. Had they been drug through horse *kitten*. But can't beat 0 calorie ranch so I guess you have to weigh about the benefits lol
  • turtlegurl69
    Options
    Xyla makes sugar free ketchup and BBQ sauce, sweetened with xylitol. It tastes the same as Heinz to my husband and I. I haven't seen Heinz reduced sugar ketchup here in Canada.
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips, Looks like I'll be shopping for some new condiments soon. I just made a huge pan of 99% lean Turkey meatloaf and didn't want to add a bunch of calories on top of it with the ketchup and BBQ that I currently have.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    rickloving wrote: »
    So many ketchups and BBQ sauces are loaded with sugar (and sodium) for "enhanced" taste. Before I stand in the ketchup aisle and look at every nutritional label for calories per serving...

Can someone suggest what they have found to be a lower calorie ketchup (that at least tastes like ketchup) and a lower calorie BBQ sauce?

Your help would be appreciated...

What has prevented you from making your own?
  • rickloving
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At this point, knowledge and experience...soon to change. I just started making my own granola protein bars...

I have already dabbled in making my own lower cal/low sodium hummus, spaghetti sauce, and salsa.

I'll start with what I can buy, if I'm not happy with it, I'll give making my own a try.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Homemade ketchup is really good. When you get a chance, definitely try it. My favorite homemade bbq sauce involves blueberries to sweeten it and yum! Lots of recipes out there. I don't really follow one...I'm a dump cook that just tastes and puts in what sounds right et voila.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    with the exception of curry gewurz, if we're doing ketchup at home, I'll make it.

The extensibility and quality control is well worth it. Good luck if you try it, many quality recipes out there, I'd start small unless you have experience with sauces.
  • rickloving
    Options
    Well, it took trips to several different stores to source out what I needed but I did manage to find both the Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup and the G Hughes reduced Sugar BBQ.

I had no luck finding any of the items made by Walden Farms locally, but I still would like to try out their Calorie Free Ranch Dressing. I may try ordering the "individual serving size" packs they sell online to bring to restaurants with me.

Thanks for the suggestions...