Best exercises for very out-of-shape beginners?

Options
2»

Replies

• shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started 6 weeks ago walking a leisurely mile with kids to park. and have worked up to elliptical for 30/45 minutes a day and walking 3 miles at a brisk pace everyday. I usually take the weekend off on elliptical unless I have a cheat day on my diet.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym with a free hour of babysitting. Works wonders.

I walk/jog on the treadmill or go swimming.

Or if I can, I get outdoors and walk.
  • psausser
    psausser Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the stationary bike with my music on...
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    20 years, of ignoring my fitness here.. I started by walking..

First a mile once a week followed by cycling for 10 minutes. Once you feel comfortable with this, then try to increase your walking pace a bit. Then add a day to make it twice a week, then three. Start looking for opportunities to walk more. Park further from the door at the stores. (Trust me, you'll have less trouble finding spots.)

My first day in October was a dismal 1 mile walk that took thirty minutes and I was very out of breath at the end. Today I completed two mile stretches, (both in around 16 minutes each) followed by 5 miles of cycling and another hour of strength training. Looking forward to doing it again in the morning.

Doesn't matter how fast you go when you get started, you are still ahead of the guys still sitting on the couch.
  • kaym0502
    kaym0502 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    These all sound great. In the past I started with walking and my body eventually wanted to jog so I did. Jogged and stretching with in home ab workouts is what helped me. As of late, I started blogilates and will see if that helps. So far so good! Some pain is good.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I started with P90 and thought it was a good solid beginner program