ruining my workout :(

Options
I have a really bad habit of having a really great workout and ruining it by eating a lot. I'm just so hungry afterwards. How do I stop that?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your deficit? If not, you are supposed to eat some exercise calories back if you're using the MFP method.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana or a peanut bar in my bag to eat on the way to the car. Ive just started drinking protein shakes and they're very filling. If you're strength training its recommended that you eat a good source of protein within 20mins of your workout. I've started doing that and am much less tired and achy.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    people talk bad about protein shakes on here for some reason. i enjoy having a shake right after my workouts, because they really do help with the hunger. depending on when you workout, a shake, then a dinner a couple hours after really helps. plus it helps reach your protein goal
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Try eating a protein bar or drink a protein shake afterwards. That helps curb the hunger a lot!
  • arditarose
    Options
    tlromanyk wrote: »
    I have a really bad habit of having a really great workout and ruining it by eating a lot. I'm just so hungry afterwards. How do I stop that?

Also, you're thinking about it backwards. You have a calorie deficit, which is how you lose weight. If you're using the NEAT method and not the TDEE method, if you exercise you get to eat more.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Also, you're thinking about it backwards. You have a calorie deficit, which is how you lose weight. If you're using the NEAT method and not the TDEE method, if you exercise you get to eat more.

Can you briefly explain NEAT and TDEE please. Newb here!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You're only ruining it if you don't eat afterwards to fuel those muscles you worked. (:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that having a protein shake after a work out keeps me from having that ravenous feeling 2 hours later.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Can you briefly explain NEAT and TDEE please. Newb here!

NEAT is the way MFP sets you up, you enter your activity level and get to eat back exercise calories. TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure-which are your maintenance calories. To lose weight you subtract anywhere from 10-20% from maintenance, and you get your deficit. You do not eat exercise calories back when you use TDEE because the calculations account for your exercise as well.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    are you eating before-hand? Maybe a pre-workout snack could help. Carbs before your workout can give you energy to lift heavier and there are studies to show that people who have some protein before their workout actually burn more calories.
    If I skip my pre-workout snack I feel absolutely starved afterwards, especially if I worked my abs. I always have an apple before, sometimes with some chicken or tuna.
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm usually starving after my workouts as well, so you have my sympathy. I've found that having a snack a half hour before my workout, a protein shake immediately following (a good quality one thats high in protein 25+ grams) with an apple, and a good snack or meal that includes grains, protein and veggies within an hour. Its important to get the carbs in there along with the protein so that your body has something to quick fire and doesn't end up trying to burn the protein first. I find that that makes me hungrier as well as gross and bloat-y. If you have muscles, you are Gonna be hungry and its good to eat, as long as you are eating the Right foods (dense foods) and not just empty calories that aren't going to keep you sated.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started working put at night because of my situation with my daughter, but it's actually turned out to be best for me. No hunger because I go to bed.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Man oh man can I relate. I used to do that. Here's how *I* stopped:
    • Eat a little something before your workout. It will both provide you energy to burn and not make you as hungry after.
    • If you are doing cardio, or especially intensity training, stay hydrated.
    • After intensity training or cardio, eat some fruits and nuts. A banana, a few almonds. Nuts are filling food that will help you overcome the craving and are nutritious.
    • Eat! But just because you are eating doesn't mean you have to devour things. Portion your foods on a plate and eat it. Chances are you will be full by the time you're done with the plate and won't be overeating!

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I eat a meal after I workout - same one every time, doesn't matter what time of day I get home from the gym: 227g full fat plain greek yogurt, with 100g sliced banana, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (28g of powder:20g of protein) and 10g of unsweetened cocoa, mixed very well. It's filling (carbs, protein, fat) and meets my RDA of chocolate :smiley: And I never do a fasted workout. Maybe that will help you.
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having my workouts just before lunchtime, so I prep my lunch in advance and log it before I work out. Then I can't overeat, and I'm satisfied and on track anyway!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    + 1 for the protein shake.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This link does an excellent job of explaining NEAT and TDEE and why MFP expects you to eat back calories burned from exercise.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • tlromanyk
    Options
    You all are fantastic. I was eating a granola bar with added protein before my workout, but I should probably save it for afterwards. I have poor portion control and need to figure out how to fix that somehow, it's always been an issue for me.