Map My Run question

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
How accurate is Map My Run? I just did a walk outside for the first time in months (Yay for nice weather finally!) and used it for the first time. I wanted to test my walking stride so I also ran the continuous syncing on my Fitbit. According to the two of them, I walked 1.70 miles in 30 minutes (17-18 minute miles are a normal speed for me so this should be accurate) and took 3755 steps which gives me a stride length of 28 inches.

Replies

• treezy83
    treezy83 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty accurate. I use it for everything.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    treezy83 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty accurate. I use it for everything.

That is good to know. have you ever used it on a track?

• Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've used MapMyRun on a track. It works well. Just keep in mind tracks are measured in meters, not miles.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    MMW is accurate, but be aware that the GPS on your phone is not always accurate. I've learned that if my phone gets too warm (e.g., if I carry it in the back hip pocket of my compression pants) it messes the GPS up enough to add quite a lot of mileage to my walks. You can tell by looking at the map of your walk (preferably on a large screen like your computer, not your phone) after you've logged it. On hot-phone days my map looks like I've flown over houses, zig zagged back and forth over a river, swum out to sea.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I've used MapMyRun on a track. It works well. Just keep in mind tracks are measured in meters, not miles.

The one at my fitness club is in miles. It is short, 11 laps make a mile.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The one at my fitness club is in miles. It is short, 11 laps make a mile.

Yeah. A standard track is usually 400 m or 1/4 mile or 800 m ; 1/2 mile.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Bumping this. Thank you all for the input. I have been taking walks around my neighborhood using different routes and mapping all of them, along with my Fitbit steps. I have a spreadsheet of each route, different distances and terrains, and have been figuring out my averages. The minutes-per-mile have been consistent, averaging just under 18, which is what I have usually done. The stride length is currently averaging 28.1 inches. That just seems long to me because the default is 24" on most trackers (which I assume is an average) but if Map My Fitness is reasonably accurate I can't dispute the consistency. I do have long legs. My height is a touch over average for a woman of my age group but I am long limbed with a short torso.