Question about protein powder.

Options
Hi everyone :)

First, here are my stats

5'4
SW - 256
CW - 180
GW 150-160

I was looking into adding a protein powder and I was wondering what your guys recommend? Nothing too expensive and preferably something not super, super high in calories. I am mainly looking for something I can eat in place for breakfast that is filling and yummy. I never eat breakfast because I am never hungry until around noon or so. Oh, and I am a woman. As fore exercise, I don't do much. I walk on my treadmill around 4-6 days per week at 4 mph for around 30-45 minutes. I would appreciate some input!

Replies

• BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all. Look for high protein and low sugar. Quest is really good, great with just almond milk and ice but fabulous with a frozen banana and spinach (for more veggies!) protein is great for building muscle and to keeps you full longer. Also keeps my blood sugar from spiking, which happens quick with carbs.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein powder that's pretty good. It runs for $20 for a jug of it. Plenty of affordable options for that if budget is a concern.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a thread in the food and nutrition forum right now with lots of recommendations for protein shakes :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is hard to suggest without knowing where you are since not all products are widely available.

You may have to try a few to see which ones you like.

Also, keep in mind a protein shake alone isn't going to be enough for a meal replacement. It is meant as a supplement to help reach a protein goal. If you plan to use it to replace a meal and to be filling, you are going to want to add a few things to it, like maybe a fat source, like peanut butter or avocado and maybe some fruit. Even oatmeal.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You could do a cup of fat free cottage cheese with a cup of fresh pineapple. It's on the cheaper side and delicious. Cottage cheese is Casein protein so it'll digest slowly and give you a steady source for 4-6 hours. You can cut that in half if it's too filling.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Along with a scoop of protein powder, I also add:
    1 whole banana
    1 raw egg
    Wheatgerm
    Chia seeds
    Spinach
    cottage cheese
    Coconut/almond milk

This keeps me full for hours.
    I can't recommend any decent protein powders, as I'm in Australia. If I had to choose one of yours I'd try quest brand, only because I luuuurve their protein bars lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you lacking in protein?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use protein powder as a meal replacement...that is not it's purpose. It's purpose is to supplement your protein intake to help you hit your targets.

If you use it for breakfast I would recommend putting it in a smoothie or something...but as a stand alone breakfast, I wouldn't recommend it since all it is, is protein.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

For me,I struggle to hit my protein levels without the shakes. But most of all I love the taste of them, I have no problem having them everyday.

• jlhwodrich
    jlhwodrich Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of easy breakfast options that are not protein shakes, lite English muffin w natural peanut butter is my go to in a hurry. I don't find shakes make great breakfast, that just me.... If I am lazy I do a lemon luna bar.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

For me,I struggle to hit my protein levels without the shakes. But most of all I love the taste of them, I have no problem having them everyday.

I want to chew real food!
  • Christine_72
    Options

I want to chew real food!

hehe I'm hearing ya. But chewing it or drinking it doesn't make a difference to me. As long as it fills me up, I'm happy :+1:

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein powder that's pretty good. It runs for $20 for a jug of it. Plenty of affordable options for that if budget is a concern.

I've also used pure protein, mostly the isolates I believe. The vanilla isn't my favourite for straight drinking but I've not really liked vanilla for this purpose throughout the brands I've tried. Pretty cheap though.
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    Isopure Unflavored Carbless Protein Powder.

This is my go-to protein powder. It's amazing. 26g protein for one scoop (28g), 0g fat and 0g carb. I prefer the carbless as I live the keto way.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love perfect fit vanilla protein.
    Its online only but its organic and very delish
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh and its only 70 cal and 156 protein
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I like Quest too :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh and its only 70 cal and 156 protein

That's impossible. A gram of protein has 4 calories in it. So 156 grams of protein would be 624 calories alone, and that is assuming there is nothing else in the protein powder that has calories.

70 grams of protein has 280 calories.

Most protein powders have around 20 grams of protein per scoop/serving. Some have a two scoop serving for 40 grams.

ETA - I assume that was a typo. The protein you listed has 70 calorie and 15 grams of protein which makes sense.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can make your own by soaking lentils, then drying them out (I use my dehydrator), then crushing them in the blender. I also make my eggshell calcium this way. Super cheap and you know exactly what you are consuming.