Please help by looking at my diary

Options
Hello I started losing weight on Jan. 20th 2015 and it is now March 9th 2015 I am 37 years old on cholesterol and and a beta blocker medications and am 5'6" My first weigh in was 201Lb. on about apx. Jan. 15th 2015 I have weighed myself on multiple different scales and as of 3/2/2015 I weigh 182.3 Lb. I was walking and working out 6 days a week but for the past 3 weeks I have not been able to work out because I fell and hurt my leg. Anyhow I want to know if anyone can look at my diary and help me out and tell me what I might need to improve on? and let me know how I'm doing? Thank you all

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems low to me and your carbs are on the high side as well. I would lower the carb level especially if you are lacking the ability to workout.
  • execrate2k15
    execrate2k15 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok wonderful this is the information I was looking for thank you for the help.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You need to take in more calories my friend - assuming you are logging everything.
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    I log everything. Thank you
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    You need to take in more calories my friend - assuming you are logging everything.

This. Assuming your logging is even somewhat accurate: If you were a very tiny lady, I would still tell you that you are way under recommendations for calories. You're not even getting the minimum for a female (1200) and you're often eating less than 800 calories.

1500, which MFP has given you, is the absolute bottom for a male. And some guidelines put it at more like 1800. I know you're on the shorter end, but you need to eat a lot more than you are!

MFP gave you a number intending for you to eat it, not intending for you to eat half of it. The number it gives you already has a huge deficit built in.

(Not trying to be mean, just clear. I know how tempting it can be to take the "eat less to weigh less" too far. But you'll lose a lot of muscle and become undernourished over time. It's bad news.)

Other advice:

Get a kitchen scale and weigh your solids. They're not that expensive, and will make a huge difference in your logging.

Be careful which database entries you are using. "Tuna salad on wheat bread -- 160 calories" is... suspicious. Why is this not the two pieces of bread from the brand you bought, plus the amount of butter/mayo you used, and the amount of tuna you used, separately or input as a recipe? Baked pork chop -- one pork chop ... a pork chop can vary in size. 1/4 cup of pasta... 1/4 cup before or after cooking? Look at ways to make your logging as accurate as you can.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yikes! You're eating for a small child not a grown man. If you are logging accurately you need to bump up those calories.
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    "Tuna salad on wheat bread -- 160 calories" is... suspicious. Why is this not the two pieces of bread from the brand you bought, plus the amount of butter/mayo you used, and the amount of tuna you used, separately or input as a recipe? That was as a whole recipe two pices of bread cut in half so half a sandwich. "Baked pork chop -- one pork chop" Yes the pork chops have been tough to figure. '1/4 cup of pasta... 1/4 cup before or after cooking?" After cooking. I do not weigh YET but I put it in a measuring cup.
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    Ok I will work harder on getting as close to the 1460 or 1500 Cal mark. But no promises tho o:) thank u
    Yikes! You're eating for a small child not a grown man. If you are logging accurately you need to bump up those calories.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Do you feel satisfied with what you're eating? Because I'd be starving. If you're new to cutting back on calories, it's normal to feel hungry at times, but you shouldn't be famished.

I can't believe you're not ravenous eating the amount you've been eating.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A few things. First, celebrate the fact that you have lost 18 lbs in about a month and a half. That's a great accomplishment. BUT it is actually a bit too fast.

Second, taking care of your injured ankle should be your priority right now, not losing weight. I'd even recommend going to maintenance right now until you're better.

Third, you are eating far too little. Don't be afraid of food. Focus on sustainable healthy habits, not simply quick weight loss.
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    "Do you feel satisfied with what you're eating?" Yes I do.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Second, taking care of your injured ankle should be your priority right now, not losing weight. I'd even recommend going to maintenance right now until you're better.

I respectfully disagree with this advice. As far as I know, there is nothing to suggest that moderate calorie restriction is an issue for injury recovery. Injuries often make us far more sedentary as well, so it can cause weight gain to use it as a reason to eat. I had a hairline fracture in my ankle and specifically asked two doctors if I needed to halt my weight loss goals. They said I should only be restricted by pain, my calorie deficit would not make recovery time any longer and I could still exercise in any way that did not cause agony :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're diary today is up to date, then all you've had is half of a large apple, two medium carrots, a banana and some wheat thins. And you're not hungry, you feel satisfied with that? Or do you like to have a big dinner and that's what you're saving your calories for?

If you're saving your calories for dinner, that's fine, but if your dinner is going to look like your lunch and snacks and you feel satisfied with that, then....what's your secret?

• deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    TheEats wrote: »
    deaniac83 wrote: »

I respectfully disagree with this advice. As far as I know, there is nothing to suggest that moderate calorie restriction is an issue for injury recovery. Injuries often make us far more sedentary as well, so it can cause weight gain to use it as a reason to eat. I had a hairline fracture in my ankle and specifically asked two doctors if I needed to halt my weight loss goals. They said I should only be restricted by pain, my calorie deficit would not make recovery time any longer and I could still exercise in any way that did not cause agony :)
    Oh, I'm not at all saying that moderate calorie restrictions are bad for recovering from injury (although if OP's diary is correct, his restrictions are anything but moderate). I had intended to offer that piece of advice as a psychological relief, not weight loss advice. It's possible to be too focused on the weight loss goal to ignore injuries. I am just saying that recovery should be the main focus, not that moderate dieting on the side is bad. But if one has to choose one, pick the recovery.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you seldom eat breakfast and sometimes skip lunch.
    Eat to the calories you are given.
    Try adding a protein at breakfast and luch.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you're really eating so little food, you might well have an eating disorder.

Here are some good resources to check out: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    Ok will do....
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I noticed that you seldom eat breakfast and sometimes skip lunch.
    Eat to the calories you are given.
    Try adding a protein at breakfast and luch.

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yea, or try eating every 4 hours. That's what I do.
    I stop after eating 4 times in total for the day.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Way, way, way too little food.

Sorry to be blunt, but the little amount of food you are eating is simply an unhealthy approach to weight loss. Spend some time in the forums here and READ, RESEARCH and GET INFORMED. Get healthy in a healthy way.
  • execrate2k15
    Options
    I stick to the serving size only or less. "AT LEAST MOST OF THE TIME" And if the serving is to high in calories like 250 cal. for 1 cup Ill only take 1/4th to 1/2. If the serving size says like 16 crisp or potato chips I only take one serving size. tho I never fill full from 16 crisp in fact I never fill full but satisfied. I used to eat to get full now I eat to get satisfied.
    If you're diary today is up to date, then all you've had is half of a large apple, two medium carrots, a banana and some wheat thins. And you're not hungry, you feel satisfied with that? Or do you like to have a big dinner and that's what you're saving your calories for?

If you're saving your calories for dinner, that's fine, but if your dinner is going to look like your lunch and snacks and you feel satisfied with that, then....what's your secret?