Request: Dinner ideas for use with salsa?

Options
Mech9
Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
edited March 2015 in Recipes
I have a lot of salsa left over from the taco salad I made the other night. Does anybody have any good fit dinner recipes in the 350 to 550 calorie range? I'm drawing a blank today.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup that is great! Taste more like enchilada soup then pumpkin. Here is a link to the recipe:

hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/487-rockin-pumpkin-recipes-part-deux
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thank you!

I made a black bean salsa soup tonight but I still have a ton more salsa left, haha. I'll make that tomorrow. =]
  • jmmurray203
    jmmurray203 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Throw a bunch of chicken breasts in a slow cooker and cover it with the salsa. Let it cook until the breasts just fall apart. Voila, shredded chicken for tacos. Use some greek yogurt instead of sour cream and some lettuce. High protein, low fat.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You can poach an egg or two in salsa and eat it with corn or flour tortilla. Top with lettuce, onion, tomato, black olive...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I put salsa on everything. Eggs, rice, potatoes, tuna, turkey, chicken, salads...
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Throw a bunch of chicken breasts in a slow cooker and cover it with the salsa. Let it cook until the breasts just fall apart. Voila, shredded chicken for tacos. Use some greek yogurt instead of sour cream and some lettuce. High protein, low fat.

this was the exact thing i was going to suggest. deelish. :)
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    in a pouch of silver foil (aluminum foil) put a white fish (eg cod) with the salsa on top.
    wrap it up so that nothing leaks and put it in the oven for long enough to cook the fish.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

this was the exact thing i was going to suggest. deelish. :)

Me too. This is really good. I highly recommend it.
  • Walrozz
    Walrozz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fajitas!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I add salsa to steamed brown rice for an easy mexican rice side dish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what kind of salsa? Salsa Fresca or cooked?

I'm from NM so we pretty much put either salsa or chiles on everything...there's pretty much not anything that can't be made better with salsa or chiles...but it depends on the salsa as to what I would serve it with.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How much salsa do you have left over? Marinate pork chops in the salsa in a shallow baking pan. Cook in oven at 325 for about 30 - 45 minutes depending on thickness of pork chops. I like to serve on bed of yellow rice, spooning the salsa "drippings" over top.
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chilaquiles. cook some corn tortillas in the salsa and scramble some eggs into it.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    quinoa, black beans, sliced red onion, mushroom, caspicum. jalapenos, olives, corriander, lime juice. Add salsa
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like to do a stuffed pepper mix with ground meat, quinoa, salsa, veggies all mixed together and stuffed into a pepper. Top with some cheese and you're good to go!