Anyone else in the forces?? Add me up :)

Options
Hi everyone!
Only been on here for just under a week and looking for friends! Haha. I'm a British Royal Marines Commando and if you are in the forces or like the forces then give me an add and we can have a chat and help each other out!
Thanks!
Tom :)

Replies

• kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I count???? No I am not in the military, but a military spouse and mom: the hubby has been in the US Army for over 20 years and our son has been a US Marine for almost 4 years. I am definitely I used to being around the military, I do understand deployments (from the families view - the separations, the tough mental strength needed by soldiers/marines especially during deployments, the adjustments after the returns, being mom & dad at the same time etc), the very regulated life style (the military always comes first), the packing up the family and moving fequently (every 3-5 years a new state or a new country - we have been stationed in Germany (lucky me I am German and that was not hard on me), Japan (I still do not speak Japanese, but I truly enjoyed it for the 3 years we were there), Oklahoma, Colorado and now Texas)... but I have truly enjoyed most of it. The toughest sofar was the time my husband was deployed, our son graduated from high school and then went during that time to boot camp. His dad came home a week before our Marine graduated. The next though one os already on the horizon: our Marine is hoing off to Marsoc (Marine Corps Special Operations Comand somewhat like the navy seals and green berets) training in April.... during all those years I had gained lot of weight. I topped the scale last year at 275lbs. In the past year I have lost 105 lbs by exercising and eating healthier. I think my biggest success was being able to hike Recon Ridge on Camp Pendelton, California with my son on New Years day. I am close to my goal now, but I have no intentions of quitting. I have learned I need the exercise not only for my health, but my mental health too. I often hate the sweating and have to really push myself to stay with it for 2 hours a day, but afterwards I feel so good. And lets face it I am not getting any younger and the healthy lifestyle is the best way of warding off old age diseases like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes etc.... Karoline
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm an vet, sending you an add.
  • swampytom
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing and you should be very pleased with yourself. I've been over to America a few times and have worked with the U.S Marines and they are top quality blokes. Very good humour and always enthusiastic which I think is brilliant. I appreciate the moving for you must be stressful and luckily I haven't had to move around like you have but that's the risk you take when you sign up I guess. I know my mum hated it when I went on my tour of Afghanistan and Yemen aswell but I know she's proud! Haha. Fair play to you for being able to stick to having a military environment, I know it's hard but well done! Very good effort on your weight loss aswell and keep going! I'd like to think I know a thing or two about fitness, nutrition etc so if you want any advice or help then feel free to ask. Or anything about military side of things! Take care, Tom.