Avocado

Options
kimreagan87
kimreagan87 Posts: 25 Member
so my brother just brought me a big bag of avacados. He knows I like to put a slice on my sandwiches but there is no way I can eat them all. Anyone have any good recipes for them

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Guacamole - mash with lime juice and chilli, serve with chilli or tortilla chips, etc.

Use in place of mayo in a tuna-mayo sandwich

Stuff with seafood or fish (prawns, crab or smoked salmon all work well).

Stuff with chicken Peruvian style (I had this once while in Peru and remember it being really good) https://peruvianspoon.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/stuffed-avocado-with-chicken-salad-palta-rellena/
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Refreshing tasty dessert for family meal - serves 12

Raw Avocado SUPER-CAKE

5 Avocados
    Juice of 2 lemons
    150g agave syrup
    150g coconut oil, melted
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tbsp rosewater
    finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon an 1 lime

Base
    45g raw almonds
    150g dreid dates
    65g Brazil nuts
    35g peacans
    2 tbsp coconut oil melted
    53g desiccated coconut

line a cake tin with backing parchment
    make the base by soaking nuts and dates in water for an hour
    drain the water and blitz in food processor with melted coconut oil and desiccated coconut.
    Tip crumbs into the cake tin and press down evenly and put in freezer for 20mins.
    Blend avocados and topping ingredients in blender until smooth poor over base and return to freezer for 30 mins and then fridge for 1 hour garnish with the zest to serve
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    or a simple way to use avocado blend with berries or other fruit for a yummy smoothie
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Add it to shrimp and chicken salads- cuts down the mayo needed and is really yummy.
  • Walrozz
    Walrozz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd get through them so fast! I eat salad for lunch every day. Would love to be able to afford an avocado for each salad!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Add it to shrimp and chicken salads- cuts down the mayo needed and is really yummy.

Avocado chicken salad is SO good.

I made spinach avocado pesto the a couple of days ago that was a success. Served it over spaghetti mixed with zucchini noodles.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did an experiment with my food saver. I had several packages of marketplace chunky avocado from walmart. I emptied them into a mason jar and food savered it. I did that 2 weeks ago. I've used it several times since then, re vacuuming each time. It is just now faintly turning brown. I didn't use any lime or lemon.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Here is a yummy dessert I made. You couldn't taste the avocado in it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/54706676067437
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1/2 avocado
    about a cup of frozen mangoes
    3/4 cup orange juice
    the juice of 1/4 of a lime

blend for a fantastic smoothie
    you can add berries too if it suits you
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My fiance makes this avacado salad I love!

Chopped avacado
    purple onion sliced thin
    a splash of vinegar (I use rice vinegar, not as strong to me)
    little olive oil
    salt/pepper

So simple but delish! I've actually toped a turkey burger with it once and it was so good!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's an oatmeal thread floating around here from this morning...someone shared they put avocado in it. I think that sounds good. :)

@littlebee55 that's a cool idea...glad it's turning out for you. I've never used a food vacuum... what all food do you use it for...curious if I must have one. lol

I realize I now need a spiralizer after another thread... so gonna order one.. I love new toys... :p
    What a yummy idea!
    Walrozz wrote: »
    I'd get through them so fast! I eat salad for lunch every day. Would love to be able to afford an avocado for each salad!
    wouldn't that be awesome!
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Guacamole - Avocado, chopped onion, oregano, lime, salt and chopped hard boiled eggs. Mix together. Enjoy. :yum:

Add to sandwiches and salads...

or eat some avocado tacos - just avocado and queso fresco, lime and salt in warm corn tortillas.

I could eat aguacate everyday. :yum:
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's an oatmeal thread floating around here from this morning...someone shared they put avocado in it. I think that sounds good. :)

@littlebee55 that's a cool idea...glad it's turning out for you. I've never used a food vacuum... what all food do you use it for...curious if I must have one. lol

I realize I now need a spiralizer after another thread... so gonna order one.. I love new toys... :p
    What a yummy idea!
    Walrozz wrote: »
    wouldn't that be awesome!

I love my foodsaver! I mainly use it for meat. It has saved us thousands of dollars over the years. True story: I found a turkey squirreled away in my freezer that was 4 years old. When thawed it was still perfect. We smoked it and it was great. We've had hamburger and steak last over a year. It's truly been the best money saving kitchen item I own. I can't recommend it enough. (I do not work for Food Saver, either ;-) )
  • Eatgymfitness
    Eatgymfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mousse for the perfect clean cheat.
    Avocado
    Banana
    Cacao powder
    Vanilla essence

Just blend the lot and sieve

Have a look at ther full recipe of my Instagram @‌eatgymfitness

Or you could make the above in to a cake by adding an egg and baking powder....bake in the oven or microwave
  • ShadowStabbing
    ShadowStabbing Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I mix avocados in cottage cheese and tomatoes.
    Also on top of eggs, in smoothies, or mixed in with tuna.
    I also throw them on top of spicy soups, or mix with Ro-tel, garlic, cilantro and lime juice and dip pita chips in it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Man I wish I had that problem! I love them in salads, raw, stuffed with tuna or chicken salads, wrapped up in tacos/burritos, etc. Today I had egg salad on toast topped with sliced avocado and black pepper. Yum!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Avocado pasta
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/20/avocado-pasta/

Avocado + garlic + lemon juice + basil (you don't need the extra evoo) blend and add pasta
  • kimreagan87
    kimreagan87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Baked Stuffed Avocados

Serves 2
    Ingredients:
    1 tsp Olive oil
    6 Medium Button mushrooms, chopped
    1/3 cup Cottage cheese, smooth, fat free
    1 Tbs Chives, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp Soy sauce, low sodium
    1 Small Avocado
    1 tsp. Lemon juice, fresh
    2 tsp. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
    1/2 tsp. Paprika

Instructions:
    1. Sauté the mushrooms in the oil until just softened and lightly browned. Remove and drain on a paper towel, then mix with the cottage cheese, chives and soy sauce.
    2. Halve the avocados and remove the pits, pour a little lemon juice onto a flat plate and moisten the cut surfaces by placing avocado halves, face down, into the juice.
    3. Fill the avocados with the mushroom mixture, smoothing over the entire surface, not just the hollows.
    4. Sprinkle with parmesan and dust with paprika.
    5. Arrange the avocados slightly apart in a baking dish. Add 3/4 inch cold water to the dish and bake on the middle shelf of the oven at 350 F for 18-20 minutes, or until just heated through.
    6. Place each half on a warmed serving plate and serve immediately.