"Meal Prepping"

Options

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    Who wants to eat chicken breast and veggies every day for lunch and dinner for the rest of the week.
    Me! Chicken breast and veggies are delicious!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel very similarly, OP. I know people who meal prep on Sunday for the entire week and for me that sounds depressing and boring even if it was 2-3 really delicious meals rotating through my days...I don't want to eat reheated food daily and have no opportunity to indulge cravings. It just wouldn't work for me. Some people love it. Good for them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do meal prep and flexible dieting. Shocking I know.

Also my meals are never boring. Last week I had an enchilada bake and this week I'm having chicken broccoli mac n cheese.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I meal prep for the whole week, but I also work 2 jobs and am not home to cook dinner and /or lunch and without meal prepping, I am most likely going to end up at the food court in the mall twice a day. I'd prefer not to do that, so meal prepping works for me. If I didn't work 2 jobs and was home, I would just make those meals nightly and pack leftovers for lunch, but since I don't have that luxury, I do what I can with the time I have. We never have boring food - its always at least 3 different and awesome meals a week, so we don't get tired of the same ole same ole.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    To each thier own i guess. I meal prep because like you i am a busy mom who solo parents 20 days a month while hubby is out of town at work. I do it to save time! i got two kids in school, sports, gym time and homework to work around time is very precious to me and by taking a hour or so on a sunday it saves me 5 plus hours the rest of the week. i meal prep my kids school lunches too.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    So life is about choices. Choosing leftovers=good and choosing to chop up food to make life easier for the week on Sundays=bad? So glad I have MFP to tell me the right choices to make :)
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Thanks for your opinion. Being a busy parent you would think you'd understand the benefit. but whatever floats your boat. Not sure why you are trying to start a fight about it. I prefer to save a little time by cooking in larger quantities.

Maybe I just like to cook everyday and my kids love it when they eat different foods everyday. I applaud everyone who can meal prep or whatever. My intent was not to pick a fight but for that one person that thinks they have to meal prep to succeed will hopefully understand that you don't have to meal prep. Most people that I've trained and that had failed prior coming to me, had said, they got tired of meal prepping and the foods they eat. They were stuck to a meal plan. Maybe it was there fitness trainer that failed them but who knows. It's true what ya'll say about whatever works for you. But I was just trying to reach those who have failed miserably in food prepping/meal planning.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion. Being a busy parent you would think you'd understand the benefit. but whatever floats your boat. Not sure why you are trying to start a fight about it. I prefer to save a little time by cooking in larger quantities.

Maybe I just like to cook everyday and my kids love it when they eat different foods everyday. I applaud everyone who can meal prep or whatever. My intent was not to pick a fight but for that one person that thinks they have to meal prep to succeed will hopefully understand that you don't have to meal prep. Most people that I've trained and that had failed prior coming to me, had said, they got tired of meal prepping and the foods they eat. They were stuck to a meal plan. Maybe it was there fitness trainer that failed them but who knows. It's true what ya'll say about whatever works for you. But I was just trying to reach those who have failed miserably in food prepping/meal planning.

On that we agree. I lost all my weight without meal prepping. I do it now because I like it.

Also most people I know still cook every day. I prep my lunches but still make dinner every night.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I guess I have a more flexible definition of meal prep. I don't make an entire weeks worth of food on Sunday. I cook plenty on Sunday or Monday for a few lunches that week. I cook dinner most nights and sometimes cook double and freeze to make ready to heat meals later on. Your post came across like you think your way is better than someone else's way who preps their meals, when in reality different things work for different people.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe I just like to cook everyday and my kids love it when they eat different foods everyday.

Why would someone prepping in advance not eat a different meal every day? It seems you have a limited understanding of what many people do when they prep food in advance. I don't "reheat" anything, I prep raw ingredients & freeze them in meals, then cook them daily. A different thing to eat. Every. Day.

People fail at weight loss for lots of reasons, if they are giving the excuse of food prep being one of them, then they are making that *kitten* up or doing it wrong.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Pizza%20Prep_zpsdhfdc4wu.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    I guess my definition of "meal prepping" is quite different from yours, OP. I prep my salad ingredients (cutting veggies/fruits) so I don't have to spend more than 10 minutes throwing a salad together. I'll add your definition - chicken and veggies for 14 meals - to the browser dictionary.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Pizza%20Prep_zpsdhfdc4wu.jpg
    tumblr_lpdwyzACFL1qjys7d.gif
  • JoRocka
    Options
    So, here's the thing.
    Meal Prepping is boring.
    to you it is... but to me it's nothing but making extra and splitting it up. It's not any MORE work than just making a meal and eating it that day. It's a very small burden- verses the significantly larger burden of having to making food regularly through the week. I work 3+ jobs. Having to come up with meals through the week is REALLY REALLY hard. If for whatever reason I don't prep my food on Sunday- I don't eat well and I"m stressed all week- I waste time trying to get food- and I spend more money and i tend to blow my calories.
    Enjoy life
    you're making a giant a22 assumption that people who meal prep are boring and DO NOT enjoy their lives- and that's wrong.
    . Life is about choices.
    yep- I chose to meal prep.
    Why? because then I can enjoy the REST of my life and not worry about food.
    Just make the right one
    and you have the answer for which one that is??

lastly

you don't get to decide what is boring or not and what's the best choice for other people to make and what makes the most sense for them. I think watching football for hours and hours all week is boring. But guess what- I spend hours and hours beading intricate patterns and makind beaded fringe- you know how intoxication boring that is?
    - Very-
    I love it- I still do it- very few people do these days- but I still love it.

and yes- making my food weekly instead of daily DOES save me time- lots of time.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Last night I made and froze 12 breakfast sandwiches and cooked 7 chicken breasts....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sjp_511 wrote: »
    Last night I made and froze 12 breakfast sandwiches and cooked 7 chicken breasts....

How boring... :wink:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Meal Prepping is boring. Enjoy life. Life is about choices. Just make the right one. Be a flexible dieter. Who wants to eat chicken breast and veggies every day for lunch and dinner for the rest of the week. I have 2 younger kids, both my wife and I have full time jobs, both workout 5-6 days week, and still manage to cook something every day or eat somewhere that fits our macros. "It saves time" really??? That's just an excuse. But if that's what you like to do and eat the samething everyday of the week. That's on you.

Or as it's commonly known .. "Meal Prepping"
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who likes organization and doesnt mind eating a delciious hot lunch everyday, prepping = success for me. I have lost 102 pounds prepping almost every week. Its quick simple and I do not have to think about what to have for lunch. Its there. Not to mention it saves me a ton of time! I can pack my lunch in like 30 seconds.

Anyways, if its not for you, its not for you. It is for some, so why be a peckerhead and make fun of people for doing it???
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Who wants to eat chicken breast and veggies every day for lunch and dinner

also me.
    I love chicken and veggies. love love love.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Meal Prepping is boring. Enjoy life. Life is about choices. Just make the right one. Be a flexible dieter. Who wants to eat chicken breast and veggies every day for lunch and dinner for the rest of the week. I have 2 younger kids, both my wife and I have full time jobs, both workout 5-6 days week, and still manage to cook something every day or eat somewhere that fits our macros. "It saves time" really??? That's just an excuse. But if that's what you like to do and eat the samething everyday of the week. That's on you.

Or as it's commonly known .. "Meal Prepping"

What, your food doesn't cook itself? I'm on the MRE plan...